Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery >

Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery

Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery

He never touches anything but his Ruger Single Six revolverand Idon't make a habit of rummaging through their bedroom but apparentlyhas a Browning Auto loader 12gashotgun that's been around a while. I don't know if it's from age or lack of care or both but the butt pad has deteriorated a good bit. Other than that still looks to be in good working order though. It had "Made In Belgium" I think it was stamped on the barrel. Aren't they made in Asia now?

I'm going to try and get the serial number run on it just to see. I also plan to get it looked over by a gunsmith and possibly pull it out labor day weekend for dove hunting just to give it a shot.

I know it's no Revolutionary warmusket or anything but it was still a fun find for me.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Default RE: Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery

If it is an A-5 they were made there first and later in Japan. They don't make them anymore. They just stopped making them not that long ago though. You may have something other than an A-5.

Most Browning guns were made over seas in Belgium or Japan I believe.

Paul
Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery

If I am not mistaken, the Belgian made A-5's had a solid Butt Plate, not a pad.You could either replace the pad or place an original butt plate back on it. Either way, it's an easy fix.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

They just stopped making them not that long ago though. You may have something other than an A-5.

Paul
Paul, you can still have the FN factory make you one on Special Order....

My fiancee now my wife of 40yrs, bought me one at Sears & Roebuck the day before Xmas in 1966 for $174.95...It's an A-5 12ga Mod.w/28" RB. The picture shows it with aHastings Rifled Barrel....... I have a 28" Mod.RB, a 30" Full ChokePlain Barrel and the Hastings Fully Rifled barrel for it...

Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 PM

ya, I knew the custom shop still listed them, but they are not in production anymore. Pretty pricey though. A far cry from what you paid for yours.

My stalker was $450 used and I have been told I got a deal on it.

Paul
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

My stalker was $450 used and I have been told I got a deal on it.

Paul
Two years ago at the Gun Show here in Tampa, FL, I wanted a Used A-5 16ga made in Belgiumthat caught my eye on a table that had atleast 100 Brownings on it............The guy would not go lower than $1,300......
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Belgian Browning Sweet Sixteen that I bought in 1966 also. It's lovely and a GREAT shotgun. I'll never part with it. Seems like I paid over $200 for it way back then. Could be mistaken tho... that was a while ago.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

They just stopped making them not that long ago though. You may have something other than an A-5.

Paul
Paul, you can still have the FN factory make you one on Special Order....

My fiancee now my wife of 40yrs, bought me one at Sears & Roebuck the day before Xmas in 1966 for $174.95...It's an A-5 12ga Mod.w/28" RB. The picture shows it with aHastings Rifled Barrel....... I have a 28" Mod.RB, a 30" Full ChokePlain Barrel and the Hastings Fully Rifled barrel for it...

Lucky man, lucky man........

Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Spike

I have 53 16 gauge Belguim Browning Auto-5, love it. It was passed to me from my grandfather. Here is the link to the serial number page on the browning site. http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/detail.asp?id=13
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Brownings site isn't very accurate. If you want info on a browing gun, expecially an A-5 check out shotgunworld.com and go to the Browning Lovers section. There are plenty of guys that can help you out with what you own and date it for you. There are some real A-5 nuts there.

Paul

Quick Reply: Was cleaning my dad's firearms for him yesterday and made a discovery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.