Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 the so called cowboy rifles vs muzzle loaders >

the so called cowboy rifles vs muzzle loaders

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

the so called cowboy rifles vs muzzle loaders

Old 08-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default the so called cowboy rifles vs muzzle loaders

In Indiana this year they have passed a law that the cowboy rifles will be in Indiana this year. I have heard that muzzle loaders will shoot farther than cowboy rifles and are more accurate. What is your opinions on these theries? I have 2 muzzle loaders and I don't want to buy a new rifle if it isn't better than a muzzle loader.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Default RE: the so called cowboy rifles vs muzzle loaders

What do the call a "cowboy rifle"? Maybe the Win. type .44, .45, that shoot pistol cartridges? Black powder cartridge rifles?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are they talking about Marlin and Winchester lever actions without scopes or what? I think I had rather have one of the new muzzleloaders with a scope. The term primitive hardly fits the modern muzzleloaders.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess a cowboy rifle would be like the Marlin '95 Cowboy in 45-70 Gov, it's made like a cowboy rifle, maybe Uberti rifles would also count.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are allowing cowboy action rifles then a 30-30 is a lot better than a muzzleloader.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Cowboy rifle" is not the correct term. Indiana is allowing "pistol cartridge rifles" chambered for cartridges like 44 mag, 357, 45 colt and others. Max CASE length is 1.625" (I think).

The cartridge is the limiting criterion, it is not based on action type. Semi-autos are legal, as are bolt actions, pumps, single shotsand levers. Scopes are also legal.

I can't tell you which is "better" but a 44 mag is a good deer round out to 100 yds. I'm sure some would say it's good to 150.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Spike

So Indiana isextending its season and adding this "pistol cartridge rifle" and/or subtracting from another portion?

I'm just asking, was originally from Indiana and wondering if other states will follow suit.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

To provide an exact definition of the rifles that will be allowed here is a quote from the Indiana Hunting and Trapping Guide.

"Rifle with pistol cartriges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger:have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches;and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms season. Some cartriges legal for deer hunting include the 357 Magnum, 38-40 Winchester, 41 Magnum, 41 Special, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 44-40 Winchester, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, 50 Action Express, and 500 S&W."

I work for a sporting goods store and we have had a lot of people asking about this for the past month. The problem with these cartriges is that it is very hard to find a rifle in one of these rounds. When the hunting and trapping guide came out I looked through our special order book to see how many guns are actually chambered for these rounds, and it is very slim pickings. To me people might as well stick with their muzzleloaders and slug guns.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

The pistol cartrige guns are now legal hunting equipment allong with shotguns, muzzleloaders, and handguns. All of these can be used durring the firearms season from Nov. 17- Dec. 2.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think there is any shortage of available rifles in those caliber. Marlin, Uberti, Henry amd Rossi all make them and every gun store in out area either carries them in stock or can have them in a week. The 44 Mag rifle is one I have used a lot and is a very good deer round in a carbine or rifle. The main advantage of course is the availability of follow up shots. Range and efficiency doesn't differ a lot from the muzzle loader.

Quick Reply: the so called cowboy rifles vs muzzle loaders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.