Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 self defence gun >

self defence gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

self defence gun

Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: self defence gun

Get a pump there is nothing that will freeze a person faster than the sound of a shotgun being pumped.
Or nothing in the world that will give your position away faster and bring incoming fire

I'd go with Stoeger coachgun myself. Its cheap, there's no repeating action to jam or shortstroke, and its a matter of pulling one trigger after the other to get 2 shots off. The short barrel is a huge plus also.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i am looking at buying a home protection /selfdefence shotgun i have looked at a few one was a mossberg500 with a pistolgrip only stock pump nice gun cost was 300 new from dealer the other was a tactical shotgun which had a stock that was telecoping like a ar15 stock with the pistol grip on it also it's sight where alot like a ar15 with a upper rail and a big front sight it was 800 semiauto which i likednot sure of maker but it was at gander mountain outdoor world which should i get i know one is a in house gun and the other is more long range but with eh telescoping stock closed it is just like the mosseberg also should i go semiauto or pump the money ate much of a worry but if i do not have to spend the extra 500 ii wont but i do not wont to have the wroung gun
1. The word is "defense" not "defence".
2. Basic Englishpunctuation rules: http://esl.about.com/od/englishgrammar/a/a_punctuation.htm

Old 08-12-2007, 10:39 AM

I personally wouldn't get a gun that looked like it was designed to shoot someoene with. Don't get a gun and trick it all out with tactical stuff, or get one that looks like it was designed for it. Like a pistol grip and really short barrel etc. Just get a regular shotgun with a short but legal barrel and learn to shoot it well.

This way if God forbid you ever do have to shoot someone you will look like the average joe that was protecting his home and family with what he had. Not some nutcase that went out and specifically purchased or modified a weapon with the sole intent on killing someone. And yes they can try and make it look that way, and may.

Mossberg or 870 with a tight choke and some buckshot, either will work perfectly well. Just know your local laws and how to shoot.

Paul
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

paul....i never thought of stuff like that...thats pretty good thinkin. i guess it would look pretty bad if i had to drop a crook with my mossberg 590 with side saddle, speedfeed stock, mounted flashlight etc....but...then again after they look around the house they will soon notice we are not average joes...we like our guns...we got lots of ammo for our guns...

so i guess if i was buying a gun for home defense, and didnt have the quantity of guns and ammo i do have in my house, then a plain jane mossberg 500 or 870 would do its job, and wouldnt make me look like i was waitin for that day...just look like i grabbed my shotgun in fear for my life and had to use it...

Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 AM

if you want a semi auto get a Rem 11-87... it's a gas design not inertia, meaning you don't have to shoulder it to make it cycle. This is important if you have to shoot it from the hip.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Bigtime, have you ever fired one of those 12 ga. guns with only a pistol grip?
Darn near broke my wrist.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You left out a couple of facts. Who will be using the shotgun?? All persons who might use it, need to be proficient with it?? Your considerations should be, gauge(because of recoil), stock length(person's size), and pistol grip(they can make recoil unmanageable for small people, but the grip can be necessary in close quarters to keep the assailant from taking the gun away from you).

The type of ammo you use should be determined by two factors. 1. The capabilities of all possible user's to handle the recoil-emphasis on "ALL". 2. Collateral damage-you must be careful as your are more apt to injure a loved one instead of the assailant. Buckshot is out-it will penetrate walls and kill your son in the next room. Use your head when you pick your ammo.

I would go with a pump action, that has the double slide. Dependability is paramount. IMO the pump is more reliable, and the double slide is the best. Also as stated above the noise the slide makes is a deterrant. Also as stated above the way it looks is very important.

I consider a 20 gauge 870 as a great choice. Light load 7-1/2's make a great load(Right mix of recoil and penetration-IMO). Youth model works well in tight quarters, and can be used by all possible family member's. Sorry to rant, but this really is an important decision. Tom.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Because you don't carry a pistol to a gun fight.
Wow you sound extremely ignorant.

bigtim, are you set on a shotgun, if so why? I think you would be better off with a semi-automatic,maybe a 1911 or a Sig Sauer P226.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, i'm Stupid as all get out...

When I took my 1st CCW class 8-10 years ago, the instructor was a local deputy and he had been on several drug busts...He was a pretty good fan of a Glock, because as he said, even cops get excited, and a 1911 has too many buttons for the average homeowner to be able to reliably use during a fight...

He told us that when he went into a drug house, his pistol was on his hip and his 12 gauge was in his hands, his actual quote was more "You don't take a d@@n pistol to a gun fight"...Not when you know the stuff is going to hit the fan...You take a 12 gauge...If an intruder is in your house and you are armed, your odds of putting him down are much better with multiple pellets from a open choked 12 gauge than from a single projectile from a pistol.

Think about it, a handgun is made for personal protection...They also have power and size limitations when compared with a long gun...Now I carry a Glock 23 to my office every day and I do have a few handguns in different areas of my home in case I need them quickly....But, I keep a Remington 1100 12 guage deer shotgun (21 inch barrel) under my bed, loaded with #1 buckshot....If you ever need to clear a room, I hope you have a 12 gauge in your hands....

Please excuse all the misspellings and punctuations, but as everyone knows, I'm pretty ignorant...

Old 08-12-2007, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

Why not the Taurus 410 pistol.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

THIS .45/.410 (2.5" chamber) REVOLVER ALSO FIRES THE POPULAR .45 COLT. IT'S SPECIALLY DESIGNED FRAME WITH ELONGATED CYLINDER TO ACCOMMODATE ALL THESE VARIOUS SHELLS. SO GRAB A CASE OF 410'S AND HEAD FOR THE CLAY BIRD RANGE. YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF HITTING AERIAL TARGETS LIKE A

FEATURES[/b] | ACCESSORIES | PARTS | MANUAL

SPECIFICATIONS

Model:
4510TKR-3SS

Caliber:
.45/.410 (2.5" chamber).

Capacity:

Barrel Length:
3"

Action:
DA/SA

Finish:
Matte Stainless Steel

Grips:
Ribber

Weight:
29 oz

Construction:
Steel

Frame:
Compact

Front Sight:
Red Fiber Optic Fixed

Rear Sight:
Fixed

Trigger Type:
Smooth

Length:
9.5"

Width:
1.531"

Height:
5.394"

Rate of Twist:
1:12"

Grooves:

Safety:
Firing Pin Block,Transfer Bar
They call this the Judge..... There is a video at the taurus web site...

I'll try to link it.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm

I plan on buying one soon.

Quick Reply: self defence gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.