Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading >

Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

Would never have thought arifle could shoot so bad.I picked up a Model 7 in .243 and was getting factory loaded 100 grain core-locts and 95 grain fusionsshooting in the 1.75" to 6" group range at 100 yds. I expressed my frustration to a friend who was nice enough to work up a series of loads using the same 100 grain core-loct bullets. I shot a 7 inch group with his first reload and was concerned the gun was a dud. Suffice to say, his handloads eventually brought me 3 consecutive 3 shot groups under
0.75 " at 100 yds. I shoot more shotguns than rifles, but is it common for factory ammo to shoot so poorly sometimes? Based on the twist rate, I would have thought this would handle 100 grain bullets just fine. What does anyone else shoot for factory loads in their .243 model 7?

Thanks,

KEJ

Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

Try sierra 85 gr gameking with imr 4064 powder. play around and you should get a good shooting load. I would highly reccomend checking the bedding,etc and either glass/pillar bed as needed.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with the factory ammo, sometimes you have to try 5-6 different brands to find the right combo...My gun loves CoreLokts, Federal Premium Nosler Partitions, Winchester Supreme PowerPoints, all in 100gr...

It doesn't care for the 95gr Fusions, 95gr Winchester Combined Technology Ballistic Tips, 100 gr Custom Hornady InterLokts...

Just need to shoot several and see what it prefers...

That short, light barrel on the Model 7 does heat up fast, which will also affect your groups...I have 2 buddies that have them in the 7mm-08 and the .260, they shoot fair, but not great.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it really comes down to it,the light barrels do heat up a lot quicker BUT depending on how they are stress relieved,wether they will change poa as they heat up or not.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the model 7 in 6mm. Mine's 23 years old and i've never shot anything but 100 grain corelockts thru it. It's always shot well. I'm actually surprised that after your initial terrible groups that you actually got it tuned up as well as you did as I would not generally expect the gun to be that finicky, so if it was, I would have said "dud" as well. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. The only gun that I've had that shot terrible groups never did shoot well with anything (brand withheld)

BTW, is your's an older model? or the cdl? or the ss?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't had a round that my Savage .243 didn't shoot well. I normaly shoot 58 grain Hornady V-Max through it, but I have shot 65 grain Federal HPs, 85, 95, 100grain BTSP. They all shot well, half inch froups most of the time, just takes a while to fine tune. I can put 3 out of 5 58 grains through the same hole most of the time. All factory loads. Guess it kind of depends on the gun and the loads.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 PM
bigcountry

I can't say I have ever had any gun shoot 6" groups from coreloks, federal or whatever except my AR-15 with wolf. I do have a friend whose 270win shot 3-4MOA, and I had some left over shells with 4064 and 130gr gameking, and let him try them, and wow, it turned into a subMOA gun. But for some reason, thats the only load it likes. Its a featherwieght too.

thin barrels are finicky and reloading usually can find the right length/load, etc.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 PM

Hillbilly,

It is a blued/laminate gun from the last year before they switched to the CDL. Maybe 2-3 years old.

Thanks all for the information. I have been cooling the barrel between 3 shot groups, but not between each shot.

KEJ
Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would put one of those barrel de-resonators from Limb Saver on your rifle and use a gun rest like a Cadwell Leadsled for better groups and accuracy.I shoot a Browning A-bolt Hunter .243 rifle and it shoots very good groups at 100 yards with the Hornady 100 grain "Custom" shells.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Make sure there is a little pressure against the barrel at the forend. Remingtons are made with a pressure point at the tip of the forend. Try it with a little shim like a piece of match book cover. If that fixes it just make it permanent.

Quick Reply: Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.