HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-58/)
-   -   WTB: Action & Barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/201761-wtb-action-barrel.html)

JB2506 08-11-2007 11:48 AM

WTB: Action & Barrel

I am looking for a barrel and action preferably a Winchester model 70 or Remington model 700. I would be interested in 30-06, 7mm Mag. , .300 mag. , .280 Rem. , 264 Win Mag. , .270 Win. ,or similar calibers. If the gun has been used and abused thats whatI am hunting foris. I can re-blue the barrel and I have a blank stock I am going to customize for it. THX

dscp 08-11-2007 06:24 PM

RE: WTB: Action & Barrel

DEAR SIR ;
MAY I OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE.........HOW ABOUT A MAUSER ACTION AND GO FROM THERE . SOME LARGER GUN SMITH HOUSES OFFER 'TAKE OFF' BARRELS IN LOTS OF CALIBER'S AT REASONABLE PRICES . HER MAUSER'S DESIGN IS REFLECTED IN BOTH OF THE ACTIONS YOU MENTION , AS WELL AS THE SPRINGFIELD 03 ! I HAVE A BRAZILIAN MAUSER THAT WAS ARSENAL MADE IN 30-06 ( SO PRESSURE , ETC WOULD BE NO PROBLEM) A NEW BARREL MIGHT NOT HURT . BUT THE ONE ON IT IS CERTAINLY SHOOTABLE,. $100.00 AND ACTUAL SHIPPING .
I WILL LET YOU PONDER OVER THAT !
dscp

JB2506 08-13-2007 09:34 PM

Does the Brazilian Mauser have the same action as the 98? The reason I was interested in the model 70 & 700 is the place that maked the stocks have a inlet press for certain models that are 99% inletted,so there is minimal altercations required by me. I just wanted a good shooting rifle that had a real fancy walnut stock,basically just a project.Thanks

stalkingbear 08-20-2007 11:16 AM

1 way I get actions is to buzz pawn shops and look for rifles that look as if they have been drug behind truck. Since all I want is action anyway( I always rebarrel) I can get em dirt cheap.

dscp 08-20-2007 05:39 PM

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING (WHEN I REMEMBER) ON LINE ETC. NOT AN ABUNDANCE OF INFO . I FIND SEVERAL REFERANCES TO A BRAZILIAN MAUSER OF 1908 IN 30 CAL. I WOULD HAVE TO ASSUME THAT THIS IS CORRECT AS THE RECEIVER IS MARKED "MOD 08/34" . SOME OTHER PLACES DO REFER TO A 98"TYPE" BRAZILIAN MAUSER , HOWEVER I OFFER NO PROFESSIONAL OPENION ON THE MATTER . JUST ON THE 1908 . IF I KNEW MORE I WOULD TELL YOU .
dscp

filbinducks 08-20-2007 07:44 PM

Be care of the "99% inletted" stocks. I purcheased one from Microfit, waited four months for it to arrive and then it had a chip in the finish by the bolt slot. They wanted me to wait another four months for another stock or give me a partial refund (about 30%). I took the refund but should have sent it back and got a full refund. I had about 30 hours just fitting the action and barrel. About 30 more hours finish sandinging the outside and it still isn't complete. I actually forgot about for about the last six months. Thanks for reminding me.:D

Pawildman 08-21-2007 09:31 PM

Just alittle word of caution or advice...Unless you have a reasonable amount or access to stockmaker's tools, i.e. inletting screws, bottoming files, barrel channel rasps or cutters, etc., and a knowledge of how to properly fit a barreled action to a piece of wood, I would think twice about this. It is more involved than simply removing a slight bit of wood with some sandpaper and starting to shoot in a couple of hours.
If you are set that you really wish to do this, do yourself a favor and do some reading and research to find out more about it. There are many sources of info available. An improperly fitted barreled action can cause severe damage to the stock, and possibly injury to the shooter. I'm not trying to scare you from doing this if you wish, just want you to understand that this is not the usual weekend garage mechanic type of work.
Whatever route you choose, good luck and be safe!!

renfrowridge 08-22-2007 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: filbinducks

Be care of the "99% inletted" stocks. I purcheased one from Microfit, waited four months for it to arrive and then it had a chip in the finish by the bolt slot. They wanted me to wait another four months for another stock or give me a partial refund (about 30%). I took the refund but should have sent it back and got a full refund. I had about 30 hours just fitting the action and barrel. About 30 more hours finish sandinging the outside and it still isn't complete. I actually forgot about for about the last six months. Thanks for reminding me.:D

Mircofit OUR JUNK I sent 1 back it look lke a dog had chrwed it out of the wood I order a Boyds stock man they make a good stock and it does not take mouths to finish it . Never again will I buy mircofit.

JB2506 08-23-2007 09:10 PM

Well,I am sorry it has taken me this long to respond,my pc went down. I really appreciate the info. I sure hate to hear this about Micro-fit,because that was the compant I was going to use.I called them and taled to a sales person and asked the question"and all inletting is 99% finished,minimal fitting" and of course he said this was true with the models that were listed in that 99% category,but it isnt something I have to rush to get done-I have refinished several stocks and free-floated some,but never had any experience inletting,but between me and may dad I believe we have every tool I should ever need,I am having a harder time finding a suitable action than I would have ever dreamed,well thanks guys.