Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 see thru scope rings >

see thru scope rings

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

see thru scope rings

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default see thru scope rings

Does anyone use see thru scope rings? If so, which ones do you use? I'm thinking about getting a Marlin 308MXLR and I want to keep the iron sights.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shoot thru scope rings

I've got them on a marlin 45-70 and a marlin 30-30. The 45-70 as the Kwik site and my 30-30 has the weaver rings. they both work just as good as the other, but the kwik site looks a lot cleaner on the rifle.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never liked them because it puts the scope to high above the bore.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

That and one of the weakest scope mounts a person could waste thier money on. If one needs see thrus, they got way too high powered scope on thier gun.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC is right and one of the other big reasons would be the fact that I have yet to see a set of see-thru mounts hold zero for over a month.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: see thru scope rings

Do yurself a favor and just forget about those things. They are a total piece of junk, and have no business being on a gun. If you want to hunt with a scope, get one that you are comfortable with in close encounter situations, and PRACTICE with it. As was said before, you want to keep the line of sight as close to the bore as possible. If the scope is too much for you to deal with in your situation, I would reccomend you stick with open sights. You just plain don't have enough time to think about what sight you are going to use at crunch time.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

That and one of the weakest scope mounts a person could waste thier money on. If one needs see thrus, they got way too high powered scope on thier gun.
okay so here is my dilemma. I want sighting system that is good for both long range shots and short range shots on moving deer. I currently own a Leupold 3-9x scope and even with the scope turned all the way down, I still have trouble finding the deer in my scope (I've actually lost 3 large deer in the past 3 years because of this). I don't think it's the power, I think its more of the fact that I grew up using open sights and in the heat of the moment, when a large buck is bearing down on me, open sights would be the optimum choice. But I don't want to give up the long range accuracy of a scope either. That's why see thru's seemed to be the most logical choice. I would hope there would be some on the market that would good enough
Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

You might want to look at Warn base and qwick disconnect ring for your 3x9 scope. That way if you are hunting in thick brush just remove scope or put back on for more open areas. I have the scout base model on my Marlin 1894 357mag. with IER 2x scope with the qwick disconnect rings. Then have the ghost ring open sight. Have removed scope many of time and put back on with no problems be still sighted in with scope. Just another option.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

okay so here is my dilemma. I want sighting system that is good for both long range shots and short range shots on moving deer. I currently own a Leupold 3-9x scope and even with the scope turned all the way down, I still have trouble finding the deer in my scope (I've actually lost 3 large deer in the past 3 years because of this). I don't think it's the power, I think its more of the fact that I grew up using open sights and in the heat of the moment, when a large buck is bearing down on me, open sights would be the optimum choice. But I don't want to give up the long range accuracy of a scope either. That's why see thru's seemed to be the most logical choice. I would hope there would be some on the market that would good enough
I understand. Just hate all the cons of them. Thats the reason I generally only use 1.5-5 or 2-7 scopes for deer. Both can easily makes shot up to 200 yards. I used to use them when I was young. But a bump here and there, they are easy to knock off zero. And taking a long range shot with your head so out of proper position is not advised either. But I understand your dilemma.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Again BC is right. I went through the exact same thing as you are when I made the switch from open sights to scope. I can honestly tell you the only way to overcome this is to go outsid with the gun and find something and practice getting on it with the scope. Also as BC suggested...my first scopes were 2x7's. I killed a couple of deer out to almost 300 woth them but the 2 worked great in the brush also.

Trust me the see-thrus aint gonna cut it for ya. Just go out and find stuff and practice getting the scope on it. I grew up shooting open sights as well. You will be much happier in the long run with the scope as low to the barrel as possible. That way you will be able to hold much more steady due to proper cheek weld with the stock. If you get around somebody's gun with the see-thrus on it. Shoulder it and try to hold it steady on something 100-150 yards away thru the scope and see what happens.

For me it just took weak scopes and tons of practice. My main deer-rig still has a 2x7 with low rings on it.

Quick Reply: see thru scope rings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.