HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   What's with the bias against Weatherby?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/201395-whats-bias-against-weatherby.html)

tempehunter 08-09-2007 10:13 AM

What's with the bias against Weatherby??

There seems to be somesort of bias against Weatherby products, I shoot them and liove them. However whenever I bring them up in conversation people either bash me for useing them, or tell me that other products are better. I understand that ammo is expensive but all premium ammo is expensive reagrdless of who makes it (Federal, Remington, Winchester etc.) Does anyone have any bad experiences or reasons why they don't care for Weatherby, or have people just not tried their products out?

Good luck to everyone this season!!

Bbj270 08-09-2007 11:17 AM

RE: What's with the bias against Weatherby??

weatherby's are great. i have a vanguard in 300 wby and dad has a first vanguard 3 #ss in 243 that shoots like a champ. he also has a mark 5 in 257 wby one hole shooter.

statjunk 08-09-2007 11:26 AM

I would never bash someone for owning a weatherby but I don't really like their rifles chambered in Weatherby only cartridges. I wouldn't own one that is for sure. In a standard cartridge I wouldn't mind. They make a really nice rifle. Thier wood on there higher up models tends to be exceptional.

Tom

bigbulls 08-09-2007 11:39 AM

i have a vanguard in 300 wby and dad has a first vanguard 3 #ss in 243 that shoots like a champ.
Both are Howa's and not Weatherbys.

I have sighted in a good number of Weatherby rifles for customers and they certainly aren't the most accurate rifles built. You pay a lot of money for a rifle that will get out shot by something else costing hundreds less.

I'm not going to bash someone for shooting a Weatherby but if they ask I will give my opinion about their rifles.

Todd1700 08-09-2007 12:05 PM

I don't see them bashed.Most people I know think they makefine rifles.

I understand that ammo is expensive but all premium ammo is expensive reagrdless of who makes it (Federal, Remington, Winchester etc.)
Well there's expensive and then there's waaay expensive. Pointing out the cost of some of those Weatherby only cartridges to a person considering such a purchase is a legitamate issue and that's why you hear it mentioned so often. I mean some of those suckers are 50 dollars a box. That's not chicken feed to a working class Joe like myself.

bigcountry 08-09-2007 01:10 PM

My bias is I have owned them and do not like the freebore of weatherby rounds. I don't like the weatherby action and all the lugs.

The freebore is not needed anymore and at one time was quite innovative with the powders available. Lastly, one can get better performance cheaper.

tempehunter 08-09-2007 03:06 PM

so the primary complaints are lugs, and the guns not being very accurate. The lugs part I can't argue with, all I know is you pullthe trigger (which is adjustable) and the pin hits the primer and the gun is fired, the lugs affect it how? I just don't know. As far as the guns not being accurate, this is a first, mine shoot lights out and they are only vanguards. If some one can do it cheaper than 430$ then go right ahead. But how accurate do you need your shots to be? I shoot 1-inchgroups at 100 yds. useing sand bags. At 300yds they are all about the size of an orange. I guess i just don't understand, but I will say shoot what makes you happy, and I do appreciate the responces, please keep them coming!!!!

Good luck to everyone this season and stay safe out there!!!

P.S. I will be sighting in my new 257 Wby Mag next week fitted with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X42 and can't wait I'll let ya'll know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tempehunter 08-09-2007 03:07 PM

Now what is a freebore????

Frank in the Laurels 08-09-2007 03:45 PM

The distance from the front of the case til the bullet touches the rifling..when the bullet engages the land and grooves the pressures builds..they get alot of their extra velocity because the bullets travels longer until it does touch and cause the pressure to go up...they have more powder to burn in a larger area until the pressure goes up...

tempehunter 08-09-2007 03:54 PM

OH, so does weatherby have freebores? is it good to have or not???

All new info to me!!

thx