Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TC Rifles

Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Default TC Rifles

Hey folks, I am considering buying a TC rifle, Encore, ro the G2 Contender. I have had the opportunity to shoot one of these rifles about 2 years ago out at the range. I'll be honest, I am not sure what caliber it was. A buddy of mine had one and was zeroing for California bears. Overall, I liked the way it shot, and I am a big fan of the concept, change out the barrels to get a different rifle.

What can you tell me about these rifles as a whole. I believe them to be of a high quality, and the one I shot was nice, but I am looking for mor einsite on them, pros and cons...etc What is the difference between the G2 and the Encore

My biggest use will be for most game in the lower 48. Mostly deer, occasionally pigs, and when i get a chance to go out west, who knows. Yeah, I know, I am a big fan of my .338 Lapua. I also know, although I can load lighter for some of these critters, that there are better cartidges to do it with. I bought that on the premise of "SOMEDAY, I WIL GET OUT WEST" and this will get the job done out there and back here. I had to justify the cost of the gun to the MRS. I also knew that although i can load it light for deer, that I would be a little heavy, and that something lighter would surely bein the works. Easier to sell a lower cost rifle to the wifey now, that I have my big gun already bought.

SO, are these rifles as good in the field as their reputation? Are they worth the money, or should I look at something else?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TC Rifles

I really like mine. I have two actions, four sets of stocks, and several barrels. I find the rifles to be very accurate. They are short and fast handling. IMO they need a trigger job. It is easier to order your action from a gunsmith and have him do the trigger job for you. I used Stratton. He did a very good job. If you reload you normally need to bump the shoulder slightly for best results. The ability to switch barrels is great. My barrels normally return very close to zero. I always check them before I hunt with them. Tom.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM

When you're only spending $250 for a new caliber, the cost of the gun is justified in the amount you save. I wish I had one Got a couple friends with them. They're accurate and quality guns. Downside is it'll take you a bit longer to get a 2nd shot incase you need one. The pros are all too many.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM

i dont think it would take too much longer for a second shot if you practice loading and unloading
Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a TC Encore in 50cal muzzleloader last summer. I liked shooting it so much that I decided to get a Pro Hunter barrel in 7mm-08 a few months back. I was shooting some very nice groups in the .5-3/4MOA, but was getting the occasional flyer due to the 7lb trigger. I just had the gunsmith do a trigger job on it about 2 weeks ago, it now breaks at a clean 3lbs, wish I woulda had it set at 2.5. Last nite I shot three, 3 shot groups at 100 yards that measured in the .2-.3" range. One ragged hole.

Overall, I'd give the Encore a big thumbs up. The trigger job only costs $25 as well
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only have the tc Encore 50 cal muzz and have also been thinking about some rifle barrels for it also! I like the fact as stated above only $250 or so a barrel, cheap gun right there! I also am not the best fan of the heavy trigger pull but will definantely be looking into gettng it gunsmithed up!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like buying one will be a great investment for me. Should be an easy sell to the Mrs. I haven't looked too hard at them yet, and really haven't looked at the at any gun shops, (can't currently since I am overseas). how much do they generally run new?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like buying one will be a great investment for me. Should be an easy sell to the Mrs. I haven't looked too hard at them yet, and really haven't looked at the at any gun shops, (can't currently since I am overseas). how much do they generally run new?

Blued finish, black synthetic stock... usually can be had new for around $575-$625. Add $30 or so for walnut.

The Pro Hunter is really little more than a silver finished Encore, with Engraving on the side, a swinging hammer stud, and the comfort-tech stock as a standard feature. Barrels are all fluted, stainless, and 28". ALL ENCORE (Pro Hunter and not) are compatable with one another. So since I have a plain jane blued Encore, I can infact, use a Pro Hunter/Flex-Tech stock and a 28" PH barrel on my frame. And vice versa.

The Contender/G2s, however, are not the same frame. Their barrels will not fit Encores. The Encore frame is alittle bit beefier, a bit more reinforced, and most COntenderes have a rotating firing pin on the hammer, allowing them to shoot center or rimfire cartridges. There are of course other key differences, but lets leave it to say that they are not interchangable. Nothing wrong with Contenders at all and they have been doing it and doing it well for a couple of decades now.

My Encore is pretty accurate. I've had to chase it around a bit. Didn't and doesn't like factory ammo, had to put an oversized hinge pin in to tighten up accuracy anyway. I only had to put some Brownells Moly on the trigger to get it to break like glass at 2 3/4#... love the trigger. And I really love the feel of the gun. Its not the most accurate gun I own (we are talking the difference between an inch and .25" here at 100.... but I'm still settling a load for it, and I know its capable of tack driving. Shes just a bit fickle. Mine seems to be an exception, not a rule. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, and will continue to use it as my main deer rifle.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Nice stock on the TC there Tom! What kind of scope do you have on it? As nice of set up as that is, I really like the one in the background the best! Very cool rifles.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a 6.5X20 Conquest. I just ordered another one of those stock's. The one in the back is my fun gun. 45-70 cartridge. It shoots very well, but it is also very heavy(over 13 pounds). I use the Sharp's for all my doe hunting. I am getting pretty good with it out to 200 yards. I am trying to stretch my abilities with it out to 300 yards, but I am not confident enough to hunt at 300 yards yet. But at 200 and in, they are in big trouble. Tom.

Quick Reply: TC Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.