Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 trouble pumping a pump action shotgun >

trouble pumping a pump action shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

trouble pumping a pump action shotgun

Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Default trouble pumping a pump action shotgun

Okay I am new to the hunting world and never had anyone to show me the way. (im 18 by the way)

So while this question seems retarded, take it easy on me.

Today in bass pro I was handling some shotguns looking for my first shotgun.

I want a pump action remington 870.

However, I was having a probably with every gun I picked up, no matter the make or model. When pumping it, what is the little notch you hold in on the side that allows the pump to slide down? Every gun I could not seem to reach this without taking the gun down from a shooting stance. Is this because of the trigger lock on it or am i doing something wrong?

How do you hold the notch down when you chamber a round. Which finger?

Really stupid, i know.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: trouble pumping a pump action shotgun

On a pump gun, after you squeeze off a shot, the slide automatically unlocks and allows you to cycle the action without needing to press the release button.

Normally that button is used only to unload the gun and open the action.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

That release on the side is for unloading and loading the gun. Once you pull the trigger or fire a shellthen you can pump the action without touching the side action release. Any pump action shotgun is that way far as I know. I have the Remington 870 and that is how my gun works.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 870 you are looking at will give you years and years of great hunting. I know a handful of guys that have owned and shot a lot of shotguns, and still hunt with the 870 as their main shotgun. Good luck!

Welcome to huntingnet!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks a lot everyone!

I will probably head back to get it now that I know I wont have any troubles!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Don't feel bad, I was once pulled over by a police officer after a day hunting, He noticed I had a pump shotgun in my backseat (Win 97) and wanted to run the number. I got nuttin to hide so I let him. He couldn't figure out how to open the action, Now he's ticked off and gettin red. Finally I asked him if he wanted me to do it. "NO!! I CAN DO IT MYSELF!" 40mins and 2 state troopers later, the oldest man their finally asked me how to open the action. "Just push that button and pull the slide" Low and Behold It opened as if it was magical.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

A word of advise, don't be gentle with that action when you work it. I used a 870 for years. Do not be shy to really slam that pump forward and back when you bring up the next round. They are well built, will take it, and they lock up better that way.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

i can relate to what cayugad is talking about. this year i shot a turkey. jerked the trigger and ended up shooting him right in the wingbutt. he went down..i pumped the gun and went after him...i got to him and he jumped up and ran...pulled up to put him back down..CLICK!!! what the heck!!??! i had the empty shell in my hand...pumped it again and the shell finally went in and i put the bird down...i short pumped the gun and the empty came out but the 2nd shell never fed in...my fault..i know better...but in the heat of the moment i knew the shell came out and threw the slide forward too early...

good guns though...good luck with it!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've short stroked my BPS many times. I'm extremely fast with it, but sometimes too fast[&o]

Quick Reply: trouble pumping a pump action shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.