Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Fluted Barrel Question? >

Fluted Barrel Question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Fluted Barrel Question?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fluted Barrel Question?

What is the advantage of a fluted barrel? I like the looks; but do they perform better or allow the barrel to cool quicker?

I am looking at getting a Remington CDL SF
Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM
DM

Default RE: Fluted Barrel Question?

They loose some weight with the metal gonebut still are "stiff"... Some say they cool a bit better too... If it's blued, there's more edges to wear the blueing off from faster...

DM
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

A fluted barrel allows you to have a larger diameter,stiffer barrel ,with the same weight as a smaller diameter unfluted barrel.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fluting increases the stiffness, just as ribs in a car's roof or plane variations in a hood. It also provides additional cooling surface.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with DM's comment. I wouldn't own a fluted barrel that is blued. It wears on the ridges. I've seen this first hand several times.

Tom
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A fluted barrel increases stiffness, cooling surface, and decreases weight of the barrel.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forget where but one of the better bbl manufacturers had a whole report on bbl fluting and it pretty much explained and showed how it's more cosmetic than anything.
Stiffness...ok, so why aren't really BIG bbls fluted (warship bbls for example) Surely they especially need stiffness.
Cooling: Theorymakes senceI guess but how many of us really shoot a bbl so darn fast that it gets hot enough so that a few flutes giving a fractional amount increase in surface area will be a big benifit? However, why then don't all the machine gun/automatic firearms have fluted bbls? Surely they especially would need extra surface for bbl cooling given the rate of fire they are capable of. When does one shoot so fast in a manual activated firearm that cooling becomes an issue?
I'm unconvinced fluting is anything other than cosmetic and that marketing simply make it a tactical, must-have, oh so important feature.
Actually what is fluitng anyways? it's longitudinal cuts in the bbls surface. Hmmm...rifling is just longitudinal cuts in the surface of the bbls bore. So...wouldn't rifling actually be specialized rifling?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Chris,

That is the same set up that I am looking at. I just have to decide on stainless fluted or satin finish?

How do the Nosler Ballistic tips shoot?

Borty
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 PM

According to one mfg, their fluted barrels have 180% of the surface area of a non-fluted model. That extra surface area helps dissipate the heat faster. Its sort of like the heat sinks stuck on CPUs, the kind with the big fins. If a solid block cooled the CPU faster that's what they would've used.

How much faster is heat dissipated? I've never seen any documentation of the difference, thoughyou can be certain that there is one. I'll have to poke around the net a bit out of curiosity.

Fluted barrels also have the advantage of reduced weight.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Weight? Not enough too justify.

Stiffness? Nope, regular barrels are stiffer.

Cooling? A little bit better than smooth.

Would I buy one? Yep, I like how they look. Thats what I would base my decision on, if you like it buy it, if not, then get a smooth barrel.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Fluted Barrel Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.