Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear >

300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
DM

Default RE: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Sure, a larger cartridge leaves a larger hole there is your proof. This is not to say you need a cannon, but I would go with someone who is a professional i.e. a guide over your "message board" advice.
That's not proof, that's an opinion....

"If" we are going to use "opinions" for "proof", why would YOUR opinion (you say you've never hunted a big bear) be more accurate or of higher value than MY opinion???? Ihunted brown bears for over 20 years, harvesting several myself, andwas in on hunts where many more were harvested by others?????

At least i have some "experience"and knowledge to back up my "message board" advice....

BTW, a .308" 200 NP out of a magnumwill bust a bear down just like a .338" 250NP will.... I never used the 30 cal. 220NP's, but i suspect they will work just as good or even better....

DM
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

Sure, a larger cartridge leaves a larger hole there is your proof. This is not to say you need a cannon, but I would go with someone who is a professional i.e. a guide over your "message board" advice.
That's not proof, that's an opinion....

"If" we are going to use "opinions" for "proof", why would YOUR opinion (you say you've never hunted a big bear) be more accurate or of higher value than MY opinion???? Ihunted brown bears for over 20 years, harvesting several myself, andwas in on hunts where many more were harvested by others?????

At least i have some "experience"and knowledge to back up my "message board" advice....

BTW, a .308" 200 NP out of a magnumwill bust a bear down just like a .338" 250NP will.... I never used the 30 cal. 220NP's, but i suspect they will work just as good or even better....

DM
No that is your opinion!! And you are correct I have never hunted Brown Bear, but the bad thing for you is the lawyer across the hall spent 5 years as a guide in Alaska. He told me he ran into several know it all clients like yourself and would tell them to do it on their own, and that made me chuckle.

As for killing a bear with a bow or .22 I know it is possible. But, you see the risk factor goes up when using something less powerful. So, if you want to go hunt big bears with stuff that is not the industry standard then go for it. Just do it yourself, because the guide doesn't want to share your risk.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not completely sure where we draw the line between "proof" and "opinion" in this context. Sounds to me like DM has as much experience hunting big bears as your "lawyer across the hall."

The problem I see is that the floor keeps going up. I have a book at home by Clyde Ormond, called "The Complete Book of Hunting" published sometime in the early 60's. I'll have to check it tonight, but I seem to recall that the "minimum recommended cartridge" for Brownies and Grizzlies at that time was the .30-06. I suspect that if you went back to 1900, the "minimum recommended cartridge" might have been the .30-30.

I've not done any bear hunting, so I'm purely a paper warrior here, but, I really can't believe that a properly constructed .308 caliber 200 grain bullet pushing 3800 ft lbs of energy is going to so significantly underperform a properly constructed .338 caliber 225 grain bullet pushing 3500 ft lbs of energy as to pose added risk to the Guide and the Hunter.

DM: Perhaps a listing of cartridges and bullets used on the hunts you've been on or witnessed would be of some use here.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

I'm not completely sure where we draw the line between "proof" and "opinion" in this context. Sounds to me like DM has as much experience hunting big bears as your "lawyer across the hall."

The problem I see is that the floor keeps going up. I have a book at home by Clyde Ormond, called "The Complete Book of Hunting" published sometime in the early 60's. I'll have to check it tonight, but I seem to recall that the "minimum recommended cartridge" for Brownies and Grizzlies at that time was the .30-06. I suspect that if you went back to 1900, the "minimum recommended cartridge" might have been the .30-30.

I've not done any bear hunting, so I'm purely a paper warrior here, but, I really can't believe that a properly constructed .308 caliber 200 grain bullet pushing 3800 ft lbs of energy is going to so significantly underperform a properly constructed .338 caliber 225 grain bullet pushing 3500 ft lbs of energy as to pose added risk to the Guide and the Hunter.

DM: Perhaps a listing of cartridges and bullets used on the hunts you've been on or witnessed would be of some use here.
Hey, if you feel comfortable hunting big bears with smaller rounds then go for it. I feel a lot of times people get on these boards just to fight, and I'm not here for that. I would feel more comfortable going with what the guide suggested and I have stated my reasons why. To the original poster, I hope you shoot a good sized bear and do so safely.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM

i know that would work on a bear, put it down for a nice long eternal hibernation, but it is also a good idea to listen to your guide, if you have the money, i say buy the bigger gun, but if you dont, explain it to your guide, and he will understand, and maybe have a loaner for you.

the loaner rifle the guide i was a packer for was a 300 wsm, so i dont understand why a 300 rum isnt enough, but its up to the guy tracking the bear when a bad shot is made to decide what caliber he feels safest following up in the case of an accident
Old 08-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Hey, if you feel comfortable hunting big bears with smaller rounds then go for it. I feel a lot of times people get on these boards just to fight, and I'm not here for that. I would feel more comfortable going with what the guide suggested and I have stated my reasons why. To the original poster, I hope you shoot a good sized bear and do so safely.
I'm not sure I'd be "comfortable" hunting big bears with anything. I'm not here to fight, just to exchange ideas and opinions and hopefully learn some stuff along the way.

I'd be really interested in hearing the opinions of members who have actually harvested big bears, what caliber/cartridge and bullet they used, and how the bullet performed (i.e. penetration, whether it hit/broke bone, etc.).
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will take DM's word over most here because he has been there and done it. I have hunted the big bears as well and have done so with the 30-06, 45-70 and 35 Whelen as well as the 44 Magnum. Velocity is not always the answer here as lighter bullets at high velocities can often blow up on big bones. I would pick the 30-06 with a 200 grain and up bullet over any of the 300 Magnums using lighter bullets. However the 30-06 or any of the other bigger 30 calibers including the 30-40 Krag with 200 GR or heavier bullets perform well on the big bears. You don't need a cannon but you need a well constructed heavy bullet that will Penetrate and break bones. In its day the 30-40 Krag with 180-220 grain bullets was a top choice for big bears, Bears are no tougher now that they were then Nor are the bear hunters.

I believe that amoung other calibers, DM used the 338-06, 30-06 and 7MM ReM Mag as well as the 8x57.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Id say the bear hunters are nowhere near as tough as then James..lol. Theres a few people on here Id never question and DM is one of them.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

All this talk got me interested in bear rifles etc.. So I did some research and found that a 375 H&H loaded with 300 grain round nose propelled at 2500 FPS produces 4100 ft lbs of energy, WOW!!!! I do agree that learning to shoot a bigger caliber would take lots of practice so you wouldn't jerk while pulling the round off.

It did mention in the article that several hunters had killed bears with 7mm mags, which I knew was possible. However, it did note that several bears charged back and had to be shot 3-4 times depending upon shot placement and the bear. I could be wrong, but I feel if I have a well placed shot with a rifle that delivers 4100 ft lbs then I have a little better chance than with something with less energy. Either way, it is a personal choice and I am just saying what I would go with.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

All this talk got me interested in bear rifles etc.. So I did some research and found that a 375 H&H loaded with 300 grain round nose propelled at 2500 FPS produces 4100 ft lbs of energy, WOW!!!! I do agree that learning to shoot a bigger caliber would take lots of practice so you wouldn't jerk while pulling the round off.

It did mention in the article that several hunters had killed bears with 7mm mags, which I knew was possible. However, it did note that several bears charged back and had to be shot 3-4 times depending upon shot placement and the bear. I could be wrong, but I feel if I have a well placed shot with a rifle that delivers 4100 ft lbs then I have a little better chance than with something with less energy. Either way, it is a personal choice and I am just saying what I would go with.
You realize, of course, that the .300 RUM with a 180 gr. bullet produces 4221 ft lbs of muzzle energy and with a 200 gr. bullet produces 4083 ft lbs., right? You've been arguing that the .300 RUM was a lower powered rifle, but, it's got as much or more muzzle energy than that 375 H&H you're saying "WOW!!!!" about...

Quick Reply: 300 Ultra Mag for Brown Bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.