Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotguns

Old 01-02-2003, 02:19 PM
jed
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotguns

I am more of an over under kind of guy but have had success with the Remington 1187. The 410 guage is really a caliber, the other guages were measured by the number of lead balls, the diameter of the barrel, that it took to measure one pound. That's where the 10, 12 etc came in. There are special turkey chokes that will give a tighter pattern at 40 yards but I have never used one. The best thing to do when you find a firearm you like is to shoot different loads at different ranges up to 40 yards and find out where your shot pattern is. The sort of industry standard is a 30 inch circle at 30 yards. Then you can determine which choke works best for you in different circumstances.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:49 PM

Actually I was thinking of a pump, I don't know why I wrote auto. Maybe because it was the last thing I looked at?..
Old 01-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 3.5" Browning BPS for turkey and a Remington 870 for everything else. Shoot as many as you can and pick the one you like the best.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:22 PM

Listen to what these guys are saying, check out as many different models as you can. I was torn between the Benelli Nova and the Remington 870 Wingmaster. Price was near the same and both have good reputations, although I'm sure you've already noticed that some of the on brand are practically religious arguements. I went back to the store about a half-dozen times, kept practicing bringing the gun to my shoulder and got familiar with how I'd hold it, where my fingers would be on the pump, etc. I finally picked the Remington 870, it looks and feels great, and was the right gun for me. For those same reasons you may go with a different make and model.

That being said, here's a few observations that may or may not make a difference to you.

The Benelli Nova is all synthetic. Many feel its reliable and easy to maintain. Some don't like how the pump can rattle when the gun is handled (could scare off a turkey).

The Browning BPS has a bottom eject. More usefull if your hunting waterfowl from a boat. Or upland game from a boat, but that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, would it. The BPS has the safety on the top of the gun, can be worked with your thumb. Quite convenient.

I didn't consider the Winchester pump. A friend has one and I didn't like it. That probably had more to do with the fact that he didn't have a recoil pad than anything else, but for whatever reason Winchester ended up being a non-starter with me.

The Remington - good reputation, the 870 has been around a long time, looked good, and again, it felt right.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Browning BPS...I absolutly love mine. It is a great shotgun. Mine is the Hunter (gloss blued version) 12ga. 3". It handles very well for me, especially because I'm a tall guy and the longer pull fits better. If you are short the lenght of pull might be too long.

It's also very smooth.

The only other pump shotgun I have a lot of experience with is the Remington 870. It is a very nice shotgun as well, and is a time proven design. I don't like the Mossbergs very much. They may work fine, but they look cheaply made and half-a$$ed machined.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 01-03-2003, 05:53 PM

With that being said, I'm only 5'3.