HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Alright guys, it's time for honesty (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/199569-alright-guys-its-time-honesty.html)

younggun308 07-28-2007 02:32 AM

Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Do any of you guys actually have the ability to consistently and accurately shoot large magnums like the 8mm Rem Mag, and the 350 Rem Mag?
Do you like these cartridges? Have you harvested game with them?
Would you recommend them?

Josiah

kdvollmer 07-28-2007 03:12 AM

RE: Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Personally, I shoot an Armalite .338 Lapua Magnum. To answer your question, Yes, I do shoot this frequently, and it is managable on long days onthe range. It has a super muzzle break that knocks the recoill down to aout that of a .243 or .270. The AR-30 I believe was Armalite "hunting rifle" Accurace with it is hard to beat. With Black Hills 250 Grn Match, it shootsa little less than 1MOA, and with a good hand load ( I think it is 90.5 grains of Vhita Vouri, and a 250 Grn Sierra BTHP match bullet) it shoots just under 1/2 MOA.
If you don't own one of these, then find a reputable gun smith, and have a good muzzle break built or insatalled to make your big magnums manageable.

BigTiny 07-28-2007 10:05 AM

The only magnum hunting load I ever shot was a 7mm Rem. Mag, it had less recoil than my .30-06 and I had no problem shooting it at all. It was also one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I ever shot. I never felt the need to shoot one of the bigger magnums, but I suspect need has nothing to do with it. I don't really need an AK or SKS either.

metaldonnieg 07-28-2007 08:48 PM

Never squeezed one off. Hopefully soon I can try some out.

Beartooth375 07-28-2007 10:05 PM

I have harvested game with both the .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H, and I have never had any problem with them at the range. In fact, its kinda funny seeing people whine about how bad their 30-06 kicks.

kdvollmer 07-28-2007 11:35 PM

I agree with that. it is fun to watch the other people complain about how their rifle kicks, and I think even more fun to shoot those cannons out there. The sound alone, under a range canopy has been enough to clear at least 2 shooting positions to either side. Might just be the Muzzle break blowing it back and to the sides, but it sure is loud.
I know, not polite to do, but generally, I will warn the folks around me first, before turning loose the .338 Lapua Mag, unless they are the obnoxious jerks that probably shouldnt own a gun in the first place, or that might hurt themselves, or somebody else.

eldeguello 07-29-2007 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Do any of you guys actually have the ability to consistently and accurately shoot large magnums like the 8mm Rem Mag, and the 350 Rem Mag?
Do you like these cartridges? Have you harvested game with them?
Would you recommend them?

Josiah
I can shoot well and consistently with any rifle up to and including the .416 Rigby and .450 Alaskan. I believe this .450 cartridge/rifle combohas about as much recoil as any rifle I've ever shot. ButI don't use them unless I'm hunting dangerous game. However, I DO shoot such critters at the range once in awhile, to keep them zeroed, to test new loads, and so I can remember how much fun they are to shoot!

I believe the MOST USEFUL cartridges are those little rounds in the class of the .270 Win., 7X57mm Mauser,.30/'06. 7mm Rem Mag., etc. For 99% of the hunting in North America, these are all about the same, and are plenty, the bigger magnums beingtotally unnecessary. But, if I thought there was much of a chance of encountering a really BIG BEAR like a coastal brownie or a polar, I'd be carrying at least a .375 if not a .416........

Back in the days when I had an opportunity to fish the coastal salmon streamsor the Middle Forks of the Gulkana River in Alaska, I used to carry a .450 Alaskan in a 7-pound Model 71 Winchester slung across my back just in case. It was better backup than a handgun.....

Vapodog 07-29-2007 12:16 PM

I could shoot either well if I had a good rest....like a tree trunk or something....but I've practiced a lot with .375 H&H and the 404 Jeffery!

I will admit that I must force myself to squeeze the trigger and that the temptation to jerk it is always there!

Those that haven't practiced this shooting style will never admit that they can't shoot the bigger bores.....and they have every excuse imaginable to explain the miss.

I'd guess that 50% of todays folks afield hunting deer etc cannot shoot the 30-06 without jerking and the number goes down quickly as the energy levels go up.

I'd also further hazad a guess that noise is as big a factor as recoil.

Doe Dumper 07-29-2007 07:36 PM

Im open to trying anything once....lol. 300 royI guess is biggest I have shot...didnt care much for it but I could shoot it accurately. My shoulder wont stand anything hard kicking for long but for a shot or three its fine. I wouldnt attempt to do any of them without plugs. I think the noise is a bigger cause of the flinch as well.

bronko22000 07-29-2007 08:04 PM

I like shooting the big boys. Not all the time but regularly. My 'heavy kickers' now are my Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 (with my reloads), my new 405 Win., and my 325 WSM in the Browning Micro Hunter. I've shot 300 Win Mags, 375 H&Hs, and the brutal 460 Wthby Mag. That is the only one that I really wouldn't care to shoot again off a rest. I don't ever recall having accuracy problems with me as the culprit. (of course some days I could probably do better if I threw the bullets at the target). My problems usually were a result of lousy ammo, poor bedding or a terrible trigger.