Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Alright guys, it's time for honesty >

Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 AM
DM

Default RE: Alright guys, it's time for honesty

There is simply no way to fire any gun with more recoil than a 30-06 accurately without resorting to a brake.Below is as good as I can shoot my unbraked 300ultramag at 100 yards with full power hunting loads.
Dang. i wonder how i've done it all those years then??????

DM
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

"There is simply no way to fire any gun with more recoil than a 30-06 accurately without resorting to a brake.Below is as good as I can shoot my unbraked 300ultramag at 100 yards with full power hunting loads."

This is a fallacy, because how much recoil a person canstand is a very individual thing. I've known women who weighed under 130 pounds who could shoot a .470 double with no problems at all. In fact, the smaller framed,lighter people ride with the recoil instead of being smashed by it!

When I started shooting my first .30/'06 (at age 13), I thought it was just horrendous in the blast and recoil department. But after I had gotten used to a .375 H&H Magnum and used it for several years, I found that going back to the old '06 was a pleasant interlude. Just look at the calibers little old Elmer Keith used to use!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

There is simply no way to fire any gun with more recoil than a 30-06 accurately without resorting to a brake.Below is as good as I can shoot my unbraked 300ultramag at 100 yards with full power hunting loads.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/stubblejumper11/300ultramaggroups.jpg
Jeez, if that's the best you can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd be tickled with groups like that at 25 yards!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM

My doctor has prohibited me from using magnum loads due to an injury. Last year I sold my 7 mag so I wouldn't be tempted. Now I am left shooting a .30-06 with managed-recoil ammo, .223, and 7.62X39 as my deer guns. I like my 06 just fine, but I would still like to shoot a bigger magnum. How much recoil reduction can you get from a muzzle brake? The only braked rifle I have ever fired was a .50 Barrett, so I don't exactly have a frame of reference.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Tiny,

It is a big difference. Something like a 50% reduction in felt recoil.

Tom
Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM

I shoot a 30-06 and a .338 ultra Mag. I use a break while practicing and not while hunting. To not flinch is just in your mind. Just pretend your shooting a .22 and there will be no recoil. Try to keep your eye open thrugh the whole shot and you wont flinch. Works for me.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

My doctor has prohibited me from using magnum loads due to an injury. Last year I sold my 7 mag so I wouldn't be tempted. Now I am left shooting a .30-06 with managed-recoil ammo, .223, and 7.62X39 as my deer guns. I like my 06 just fine, but I would still like to shoot a bigger magnum. How much recoil reduction can you get from a muzzle brake? The only braked rifle I have ever fired was a .50 Barrett, so I don't exactly have a frame of reference.
When they put in my brake they said it would reduce the recoil by 40%. Then the limbsaver has to help some. A mercury recoil reducer would also help, but it would also add more wait to the gun. Even if you couldn't go back to a magnum, maybe you could go back to regular ammo instead of managed recoil ammo. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some critters might require a magnum rifle although I don't know which ones it would be. Magnums are not superior, they are different you can tack a magnum handle on anything but it comes down to sufficient penetration and velocity and muzzle energy. You can kill something just so dead and anyone who thinks a magnum is automatically Superior is an idiot. If someone can't place his shots well with a Magnum is it still superior for him to use? I have a 416 Rem Mag and am sure as hell no stranger to hunting with all types of rifles and handguns. I no longer find any need for big magnum rifles for anything on this continent but knock yourself silly if you do.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM

used a 7mm mag on deer. nocks them on there buts. and love to shoot it for target, huntingor what ever.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Some critters might require a magnum rifle although I don't know which ones it would be. Magnums are not superior, they are different you can tack a magnum handle on anything but it comes down to sufficient penetration and velocity and muzzle energy. You can kill something just so dead and anyone who thinks a magnum is automatically Superior is an idiot. If someone can't place his shots well with a Magnum is it still superior for him to use? I have a 416 Rem Mag and am sure as hell no stranger to hunting with all types of rifles and handguns. I no longer find any need for big magnum rifles for anything on this continent but knock yourself silly if you do.
Ballistics are clearly superior. I don't understand how someone can't understand that. To each his own, I own both and try to pick the right gun for the right game. Everyone should pick what they prefer, but the ballistics and killing power of magnums are clearly superior!

Quick Reply: Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.