Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 looking for first rifle >

looking for first rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for first rifle

Old 07-28-2007, 07:22 PM

Default RE: looking for first rifle

thanks for all the info ... and yeah i have shot rifles before and other guns.

i would mostly prob be hunting boar and other game about the same size. And i would hunt other stuff like varmint but do you guys think a good rifle would be for that ?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

In that case, I'd probably say .243 or .25-06.

The .30-'06 is seldom inappropriate for anything, but it's more than you need for the critters you've said you're chasing. With either of these cartridges, you'll end up with an easier-shooting rifle,so you'll be likely to practice more. Any rifle that will take a hog will take a deer, & vice-versa. They'll both reach out to 300 yards with no problem. And these 2 can take varmints without vaporizing them, in case you want to save the pelts. Ammo's widely available, & not too expensive, and there are a wide variety of rifles chambered for those cartridges.

Of course, these aren't the only answers, & one could make very persuasive arguments for everything from .22 hornet, or .204 Ruger, or .223, or .260, or .270, or 6.5x55, or 7mm-08...

As for rifles, do what DGH recommended: go to the store, & see which make/model follows you home! There are very few rifles that are absolute junk, so pick the one that fits you best, & you'll be happy with it. And don't forget to budget at least $150 for a scope!

FC
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Brassknucklthrpy

i'm looking to buy my first rifle .. what are some good ideas ?

i will prob. be doin alot of boar hunting with it ? maybe a 30-06 ? and what make

thanks for the help
When I was faced with this situation, I settled on a .30-06 (a Savage 110, since I could find a left-handed one, which I needed).

A down-loaded .30-06 round (such as Remington's Managed Recoil ammunition, which I simply love for deer hunting) is great and easy on the shoulder.

Heavier loads will knock down about any of God's critters, and when I go hunting for hogs, I want to be prepared in case a big boar gets in my path.

Pretty good versatility, I think. At least it's good enough for me.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:13 AM

Based on what you are telling us that you want to hunt. I might suggest the .308. Lots of good ones out there. Personally, I am biast toward the Remington rifles, but there are lots of excellnt companies out there. The .308 is big enough to kill hogs, Deer, small bears, pretty much anything in the lower 48 states. It is effective out to a pretty good distance. If youare really good, easily 500 meters for some larger game with the right ammo and shot placement. NOT A SHOT FOR BEGINNERS. You can use this to hunt some Varments. I used mine to shoot Prarie Dogs in South Dakota out to 700+ meters. Some luck involved in hitting them at that range, and some lots of experience to get close. IF you by factory ammo, you will pay as little as $15 a box, up to $25-30 if you buy top quality stuff. You can hand load excellent loads for about $8 a box. I loaded .308 that shot less than 1/2 MOA at a hundred. This is definatly not the do all answer to a rifle, but certainly makes for a good first rifle. There are better rifles for each game out there, but this really works well for all of them.

Some excellent Rifles to look at in .308:

Remington 700 LTR. Very well balanced. A little whippy to shoot, but manageable. Light enough to carry round the woods and hills, and accurate enough to shoot out to 600-700 meters. Short enough and easy to work in close if needed. I looked at one last year new at a gn shop in Savannah GA for right around $800-900.

FN SPR: Another tactical rifle, but if you pick it up, you will think, this, is the perfect PIG GUN. my buddy owns a gun shop in Cali, and when he got one in, everybody who picked it up said the same thing. It would be perfect for pigs and deer. It was wonderful to shoot. Groups nice and tight. (this is an expensive rifle)
(sorry everybody, this has really gone up in price since I last looked at one. I would still reccommend it though)

CZ makes some fine rifles. I have not shot them, but I have never heard anythingbad about them. Much more affodable than the ones above, still good guns.

For an excellent scope, for the Price, I really reccommend the Nikon. There are others that I like better, and they are all well over $1000. (Nightforce, Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender) The Nikon is durable, and very clear. YOu can get into one for $250-300. That is what I had on my Remington 700.

Just some recommendations from my own experience. Good luck finding what you want.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:42 AM

Correction from Above:
Sorry, I misspoke myself. The FN Rifle that I wanted to reccommend in their PBR. Patrol bolt Rifle. This is the shorter version of their SPR. It is to the SPR what the Remington LTR is to their 700 PSS. A little shorter, and lighter.

Still worth looking into.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

I would take a look at the tikka's in 308,7/08 and 25/06.I have shot a lot of different calibers in them and they will shoot.There is nothing wrong with the other manufactors mentioned just another suggestion.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:47 AM

There ARE several other good companies out there. I only mentioned the ones that I am personally very familiar with. I try to stay away from giving advice on buying something that Ihaven't had a chance to play with myself. Please don't take that as they are the only ones that are good. You might also look into a Thompson Center Rifle. TC makes a great rifle that you can change out the barrels on to get a totally different gun. That would really be worth looking into. They are somewhat pricy for the initial investment, but, when you want a new gun, you will pay less for a new barrel than a whole new gun.
good luck to you.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

How about a lever gun in .30-30 or .35 Remington?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM

great ... thanks for all the info guys
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

anyone shoot the remington Model 770 ( 30-06 )

if so, how is it ?

Quick Reply: looking for first rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.