Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How Much Knockdown Power Is Required? >

How Much Knockdown Power Is Required?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How Much Knockdown Power Is Required?

Old 12-30-2002, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default How Much Knockdown Power Is Required?

I have always used a .30-06 for hunting whitetail deer. Recently I have wanted to go with a smaller caliber for this purpose. How much knockdown power/energy is required for taking whitetails humanely? What is the formula for calculating knockdown energy of a specific bullet size and type?
Old 12-30-2002, 04:22 PM

Default RE: How Much Knockdown Power Is Required?

800 foot pounds

Old 12-30-2002, 06:24 PM

I don't believe in anything called "knock down power", but you can calculate the energy of a bullet by the following formula. http://www.airgunning.co.uk/tech.htm

As far as the minimum required, that's highly debatable.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember reading some articles by self proclaimed experts that set between 700 to 800 ft lbs energy as a minimuim . sounds reasonable but it is debatable to say the least . I guess a lot would depend on where you hit them .
Old 12-30-2002, 07:17 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I recall several years ago before I quit hunting (started back again this year) there was a minimum foot lbs of somewhere around 300-350 lbs required for the firearm here in VA. it also had to be larger than .223. Thist year when I was prepping I didn't see the foot lbs requirement. It my crossbow only produces about 45 ft lbs. But I took a nice doe with it. I know that my 9 mm pistol has a muzzle velocity of around 350 ft lbs. I am sure many will disagree, but I have no doubt that I could make a clean kill on a deer with my 9 mm. If I can get close enough with a bow, I can definately get close enough with a pistol. It's more than just Ft Lbs. it's depth of penetration, bullet placement, initial diameter and expansion.

David

Yeah, I know I kicked open the hornets nest on this one
Old 12-30-2002, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

my mom bought me a giant book about hunting from field and stream a few years ago and it agrees with quilly and halcon..800ft/lbs of energy is recommended for killing deer...

Old 12-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

People that write books will use numbers like 775 ft-lbs and such, but they are meaningless. Many a moost has been shot behind the front shoulder with a .22lr and found handily. Hell, my bow doesn't produce 350 ft-lbs of energy and I've killed 30+ deer with it.

If you poke a hole in the right place, the deer will die. If you don't, you shouldn't be hunting. 22 Magnums are legal in Maine for a reason...

The key is to choose an adequate caliber and learn to shoot it properly. Personally, I'd pick the .243 as the bottom and work up from there.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't get too hung up on energy requirements for deer. More important is the bullet type. 1000 ft.lbs. with a hollow point match bullet isn't the same as 1000 ft.lbs. with a hunting bullet. I know that's basic, but it's important. Anything from a .223 on up will be able to humanely take whitetails at 200 yards.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-30-2002, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

It varies a great deal with the size of deer you hunt.In the south a 200lb deer may be considered very large while mature northern bucks often exceed 300 lbs.In any case a cartridge such as the 25-06 or 7mm-08 is more than adequate for any deer.

Quick Reply: How Much Knockdown Power Is Required?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.