Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7MM's in Alaska >

7MM's in Alaska

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7MM's in Alaska

Old 08-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7MM's in Alaska

I know that the bears are bigger in Alaska but a couple of years ago I harvested a big black bear that was around 500 lb. with my 7mm mag using a 175 grain bullet. Shot him at 40 yards and he didn't go far before he pilled up. If you are used to your 7mm mag then why not use it. Isn't it shot placement more important or am I way off here?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

I know that the bears are bigger in Alaska but a couple of years ago I harvested a big black bear that was around 500 lb. with my 7mm mag using a 175 grain bullet. Shot him at 40 yards and he didn't go far before he pilled up. If you are used to your 7mm mag then why not use it. Isn't it shot placement more important or am I way off here?
Just remember, shot placement may be alot in the process of the shot, but gun and ammoselection is everything else.

If shot placement were everything, we would be hunting deer with .22 Short, but we don't, because shot placement WILL take you far, just not so far as many claim it will.

I would agree with using a .338 or .300 Win Mag if hunting the big bears (not black bear), so that you get better shoulder bone destruction, I hear 150-grain .300 Win. Mag. is great for expansion, and ruins lots of deer meat, but would probably fill the ticket for brown or grizzly bear, or generally if you fund a good grain, since many might say 150 grain is way too small, and a 220 grain 338 is called for or something, and that'sfine.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:30 PM

I would pay attention to followers post because it sounds like he's talking directly to you and your situation overall. Get the 7 Mag and use 160 to 175 grain bullets. And as always, pack some mace and at least a .45 caliber pistol along with a buddy who is carrying at least a shotgun.

Have fun - You're a brave soul.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 AM
DM

I hear 150-grain .300 Win. Mag. is great for expansion, and ruins lots of deer meat, but would probably fill the ticket for brown or grizzly bear, or generally if you fund a good grain, since many might say 150 grain is way too small,
"IF" he actually figures out what ever it is your "trying" to say there, and "IF" your telling him to use 150's in his 300 mag. for big bears.... I'd say that was worst advice i've seen so far in this thread!!

DM
Old 08-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL sounds like a good way to piss a bear off and get used for a chew toy...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM

MAN is that the truth... And if you can handle the little extra recoil of the 338 WIN mag it is some bad news for ALL ANIMALS !!! The extra diameter and bullet weightreally is a benefit, when close encounters occur with nasty animals that can put a real hurt on you happen.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Bullet choice is most important. If yor are interested, there is a book written entirely about rifle bullets called "Rifle Bullets for the Hunter. A Definitive Study". It is a recent and the best book I have ever read on rifle hunting bullets.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM

I forgot to add that shot placement is also one of the most important issues no matter what rifle you use. Although I would personally not take a 7mm mag to Alaska (I currently hunt Elk every year) I would rather someone had a caliber that they could hit something with and the right bullet than a huge caliber that they could hit anything with.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: jcalabrese

I forgot to add that shot placement is also one of the most important issues no matter what rifle you use. Although I would personally not take a 7mm mag to Alaska (I currently hunt Elk every year) I would rather someone had a caliber that they could hit something with and the right bullet than a huge caliber that they could hit anything with.
really? That's amazing
Old 09-01-2007, 06:32 AM

Well, since you are so amazed by my comment I will recommend a great source. There are several theories of stopping power for which I am sure you are already well versed. So this post is really for the folks that are not at your level of expertise. Some of the main theories regarding cartridge choice, shot placement, and killing power are purported by well know authors in our industry that a have more expertise in the field that I do (which is currently 37 years of continuous hunting experience).

I would suggest that anyone interested in learning more about the subjects of bullet choice, shot placement, cartridge choice etc… subjects examine a great book “Rifle Bullets for the Hunter” by John Barsness, Craig Boddingtion, John Haviland, Richard Mann, Ron Spomer and Bryce Towsley. It is a great read for the techies in the crowd. A top notch read.

Now that we have been formally introduced it is nice to meet you pig_dog_02