Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What sleep wildcat would you like to see in a factory chambering? >

What sleep wildcat would you like to see in a factory chambering?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What sleep wildcat would you like to see in a factory chambering?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Default RE: What sleep wildcat would you like to see in a factory chambering?

6.5-06 is the one I would like to see. My dad has a 264 mag and I just love that gun, the 6.5's are really underated!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

I just traded for a custom wildcat in a 25-308 aka 25 souper and it shoots great. I have to work up my own load data since none is available.

Why have no gun manufacturers chambered for this great round. It fills the short action gap between .243 ( factory loads at 100 grs) and .260(factory loads at 120 gr).The 308 case has been used for virtuallyeverything else. 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308, 338 fed, 358 with great success.

Anybody have any insight or experience this round?

Another sleeper wildcat is the 6.5/06 and 6.5 Gibbs

With the right marketing the 6.5 could havestolen the glory from the .270. Not bashing the .270 but the 6.5 can be loaded from 85 gr to 160 gr with outstanding bc and sd.

I guess the moral of this story is marketing is everything.

What would you like to see?
Speaking of Gibbs' cartridges, I'd like to see a .338 Gibbs in a factory round. It would be even better than the .338/'06...........
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I think the reason theres not a 25-08 is the 250-3000 aka 250 savage , just a hair shorter than the308 and was the basis for 22-250 . For my ligit wildcat 8mm-06.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:31 PM

We have a family friend that has a 338-06 and just loves it. He has two safes full of guns and I have never seen him use anything else when deer hunting. I don't know alot about wildcats, only the 6.5-06 and the 338-06. Is their a site where I can get more info on them? Like these Gibbs cartridges, I have never heard of them. Now before someone jumps all over me for saying "I have never heard of the Gibbs line" remember, I'm only 16 so go easy. Just trying to learn.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Broek, not to worry...Rocky Gibbs brought out the 30-06 based cartridges years ago. His designs differed from P.O.Ackley's in a way that he moved the shoulder forward up about a 1/10th of an inch and used a 35 degree shoulder. Ackley's improving was for the most part just taking some of the taper from the case and blowing out the shoulders of cartridges to 40 degrees. In both types the internal powder capcity is more than the original parent case. The necks on the gibbs cartridges are only about .250" and have beenlooked down uponfor lack holding seated bullets securely.

I have been shooting a 6.5 Gibbs for over 15 years and am quite pleased with it's performance on game and paper. Here's a photo of the transition from 30-06 to 6.5 Gibbs. Note the increased capacity of the case on the right.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Broek might try searching " cartiges of the world " I don't know if it's intact online great book I was amazed at how many commercial cartriges are modified wildcats and that there isn't more commercial trial .
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the great info double A!!! I didn't even realize that they were based on the 06. The pic really helps!

I'll check it out harter66.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

Speaking of 338/06's. I am in the process, a slow one at that, of rebarreling a savage 30-06 into a 35 whelen. I debated about whether to go with the whelen or the 338/06. The whelen won out for no particular reason other than I wanted a 35 whelen. Balistically they are almost the same. With any given load either one may be 50 fbs faster or slower than the other.

The sad truth is neither one of these will do anything any better than it's grandpa the "30-06". I just wanted something different and may go for a 338/06after the whelen. Why not? Somebody hasto keep Midway,Brownells, and Natchez in business, it might as well be me.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

RE: Gibbs cartridges. All of "Rocky" (Mannolis Aemoen) Gibbs cartridges are the same except for bullet diameter. They were made in all standard calibers from .243 up to .338" to my knowledge, and i have heard of, but not seen, a .35 caliber version as well. Sort of a "super" .35 Whelen.

At least some are indeed included in COTW, and there is a booklet published by Wolfe Publishing in 1991 (GIBBS CARTRIDGES AND FRONT IGNITION LOADING TECHNIQUE) that is a compilation of articles from either HANDLOADER or RIFLE magazine on the various Gibbs rounds by a fellow named Roger Stowers. Stowers had rifles built for the ones he wrote about, so his data is based on actual firing tests of the Gibbs cartridges that Stowers conducted. In addition, some are covered in the Ackley books, but some were also "inadvertently omitted" by Ackley! Gibbs also experimented with front ignition cartridges about the same time as Elmer Keith, et al, were doing the same thing.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I heard that Jim Charmicheal was the one pushing Remington to come out with the .260...It had a pretty good following with the bang and clang gang...

Quick Reply: What sleep wildcat would you like to see in a factory chambering?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.