Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no? >

Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Nosler responded by beefing it up.
I salute Nosler for responding to the customers....but wish they would change the name of the product when they do!

I used to know what a ballistic tip was...but cannot keep track of the changes they have made....if they change them I'd preferr they call them "ballistic tip H".....H for huntiung or something.....

It's a major flaw in the bullet is that their reputation is inconsistant.....once a spectacular varmint bullet.......but now a confusing bullet as I can't keep track of what it is anymore!

I just went to shooting SSTs for deer and pronghorns.....pretty darn good performance so far!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

BC... I read on a couple of other boards that the 120 gr BT actually has a little heavier jacket than the 140 gr BT in .284. This doesnt sound possible....any ideas? I guess it could be possible...just doesnt seem likely. If that was the case the 120 grain bt would be an awesome deer bullet for something like the 7-08.
Coundn't tell ya. Never used the 120gr. But 120gr would be a nice bullet for smaller whitetails.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks a bunch for the responses guys! That 120 BT looks like a sweet bullet for these WV Whitetails. One thing is for sure...they sure havent ever passed up a chance to improve that Ballistic Tip. It seems to be constant work in progress.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't personally used the 120 .284 BT, but a friend of mine has used them in his 7mm08 for a number of years with excellent results..

Old 07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

I've used them (first in handloads and recently in factory fodder) for nearly 20 years. I've NEVER had a deer go more than 20 steps after being shot and they usually fall where they stand. Penetration has never been a problem, regardless of whether the shot was through or behind the shoulder.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

i used to load ballistictip 140grn bullets for a friend to deer hunt with,he killed a few with out a problem .then one day he spotted the biggest bodied whitetail he had ever seen,he shot at about 100yds and hit the deer alittle foward ,on the shoulder blade. well a hunter about 400yds away killed that deer 2 days later ,still walking on 3 legs. the ballistic tip only penatrated about 2inches. it was a 12 pt 23in wide . he no longer uses ballistic tip bullets.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long ago was this?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 140 grain bullet ( of ANY kind) only penetrated 2 inches after a hit at 100 yards...???...

Did you see the deer and get a chance to study the wound..??

What cartridge was he using..???..

Sounds like somebody is bulls***ting somebody........

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have killed several deer in excess of 300lbs on the hoof with the 140gr ballistic tip out of the 7mmstw without a problem.Even with a muzzle velocity of 3500fps,the vast majority of the shots result in exit holes.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

A 140 grain bullet ( of ANY kind) only penetrated 2 inches after a hit at 100 yards...???...

Did you see the deer and get a chance to study the wound..??

What cartridge was he using..???..

Sounds like somebody is bulls***ting somebody........\

LOL I was trying to get to the root of it in a nice way...

Quick Reply: Ballistic tips. . .like 'em or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.