Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 03-A3 >

Remington 03-A3

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 03-A3

Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 03-A3

Anybody have some information or know where I can get some information on this rifle? I was down at my grandmas today and finally got to looking around at what my grandfather had for guns when he passed away. I was intriqued by this one. It seems to be in pretty good condition still and I just wondered what the story behind it was.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Steven
Old 07-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 03-A3

I would love to get my hands on that one!!!! What other marking's were on the rifle???? That could be a real dandy!!!!!

Go to the CMP web site. They will have someinformation there about club's specifically dedicated to that firearm. Tom.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Other than the 30-40 Krag I think the 03 was our main battle rifle untill the Garrand.I am probally wrong .It was /is a good rifle .just don't sporterize it .Pretty sure it was still used as a sniper rifle in WWII.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the movie "Saving Private Ryan"-the rifle their sniper was using was a Springfield(the guy up in the bell tower). The rifle was also used in Korea, and my brother told me there were also Springfield's used in Vietnam.

What makes your rifle unique is that it is a Remington, and not a Springfield. Depending upon the specific model, and year of mfg., you could have a very valuable rifle. Tom.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

Anybody have some information or know where I can get some information on this rifle? I was down at my grandmas today and finally got to looking around at what my grandfather had for guns when he passed away. I was intriqued by this one. It seems to be in pretty good condition still and I just wondered what the story behind it was.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Steven
The US Rifle, Caliber 30, Model 1903-A3, (and it's brother the M1903-A4 sniper version) was the very last bolt-action rifle issued toUS forces, beginning in 1942 at the start of WWII. It was a substitute standard, issued because there were not enough M1's yet to equip everyone. It was used by the Army and the USMC, with more of them being used in combat bythe Marines thanthe Army.

The basic difference between the M1903 Springfield and the M1903-A3 is that a number of the A3 parts are stampings rather than forged, machined parts, (like the magazine/triggerguard), and theA3 parts were not polished before being Parkerized. The reason for these changes was to make the rifles faster and cheaper. In addition, the A3 dispensed with the original Springfield rear sight, and had a peep on the rear of the receiver bridge. This was a much better combat sight than the original 03 sight, which we learned in WWI from using the 1917 Enfield vs the original Springfield rear sight.

Some A3's had two-groove, rather than four-groove, rifling. The two-groove barrels shot GI ammo just as well as the four-groove barrels, and could be made faster.

The A3's were made mostly by Remington under contract, and I believe some were also made by L.C. Smith-Corona, the typewriter company. I have seen, and once owned, a very nice sporter made on a Remington03-A3, but they require a lot more work to make into something special than the older 03's, because they are basically much cruder to begin with. They are plenty strong enough for '06-length magnums. Mine was a .308 Norma Magnum. The work was done by Paul Jaeger, Jenkintown PA. It had a French walnut stock, and was every bit as nice as the current Dakota Arms products.

IF you want more detailed info on the M1903-A3, I recommend you read pages 8-10 in Hatcher's Notebook, written by Major General Julian S. Hatcher, an ARMY general who was a graduate of the Naval Academy!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Go Here....http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=49

There you will find out everything there is to know about your Remington and more. Regards, Rick.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Please don't sporterize it
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eldequello pretty much said it all.

I have a smith corona. The stock on mine is in very rough shape but itsa heck of a shooter.

The rear sights on 03a3s adjust by 1minute windage clicks (4 MOA between each index line)and elevation is adjustable from 100 to 750(or 800 I can't remember which) yards by 50 yard increments.I've read many sources that state that windage is 4 moa/click, but those sources are incorrect.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive got a sporterized smith corona that my did back in the 60's its a real shooter just wish it wasnt sporterized if I could ever find an original stock set for it Im gonna put it back to its original form. it would be great for NRA hi power.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

it would be great for NRA hi power.
I've shot mine in several matches. For some reason, the recoil is just plain brutal from the prone position, I could never figure out why though. I've also shot mausers in matches with very hot 8x57 handloads without even noticing the recoil.

Quick Reply: Remington 03-A3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.