Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger No 1

Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger No 1

I have been having the strongest urge to get the rifle I have always wanted but have always found reasons to not get. I have always told myself that I need more than a single shot even though I have never needed more than one in the field. I always loved the wood with bluing and the classic looks but as I look at the guns in the cabinet, they all have synthetic stocks, and matte finishes. I always said they cost to much, but in reality they are only $150-$200 more than a quality bolt gun. Now the question, what is the truth about the Ruger No 1? I do not know anyone who has one. I have read that they are hit and miss on accuracy. I have heard that the trigger is horrible and must be adjusted by smith. I have read that bedding the forend can greatly improve accuracy if you get a gun that is not a "shooter". Who out there has one? What caliber? How does it shoot and handle? Have you had any or have you done any work to it? What are the true pros and cons to this gun? Thanks in advance for any info positive or negative.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger No 1

dad had a 3006 no1 carbine. sweet little gun. that thing was small. good shootin rifle.

most factory rifles will have a stiff trigger...

most factory rifles can be bedded and see gains in accuracy...

i know another buddy that has one..he has a peep sight on it...hes on deer QUICK and gets the job done..he also shoots it very accuratly..

the one thing dad didnt like was the recoil..his was a tiny carbine though..after breaking his collar bone and never really recovering it was simply too much for him..recoil was harder than a heavier rifle..but youll have that.

another single shot to look at is a TC Encore...both are good quality rifles. id suggest finding a shop that has them and seeing how you like them. i too like the simple clean looks of both rifles. one day i'll get one...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

I have the #1A light sporter in 7x57 mauser. With factory remington corloks it will shoot about 1.25" at 100 yards. I handloaded some hot 150gr nosler BSTs and it will shoot them at .75" at 100 yards. I shot it at 300 yards once with the handloads and I shot a 4.25" group. I didn't think that was to bad. Mine has a crisp 4 pound trigger on it. I have not done any work to the gun at all. The only thing that I don't like is the big front sight. They are very nice guns with very nice walnut stocks.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Ruger 1 in a 22-250 and found it shot well. This rifle was used so I’m not sure if it had any work done to it but the rifle worked well. I did find the rifle a little heavy for a 22-250 without a heavy barrel. I had some problems with mounting my scope and had to get extended ring. At the end it wasn’t 100 % but had to do. I also had a T/C Encore and found the Ruger to be more of a traditional style rifle with a better feel , although the T/C does have a style of it’s own. I had intentions of changing barrel for a different cartridge on the Ruger but sold it before it happened...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have Ruger #1's in .25-06, .300 Win Mag, & .375 H&H Magnum. My buddy used to shoot at local shoots with the .300. The .25-06 will put 3 shots all touching each other all day long. We may of got lucky but all of the ones we have shoot really good.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the ruger #1s and have had several over the years. The main things you need to do is install a forearm tensioner. The single set triggers work great on this rifle but are a bit costly ($200-$250) after hand lapping barrel and working up a load for it,you have NO excuse for missing. As yall can tell,I'm a diehard on ruger #1s. Hunting with a ruger #1 says more about who you are more than any other single thing.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I love the ruger #1s and have have several over the years. The main things you need to do is install a forearm tensioner. The single set triggers work great on this rifle but are a bit costly ($200-$250) after hand lapping barrel and working up a load for it,you have NO excuse for missing. As yall can tell,I'm a diehard on ruger #1s. Hunting with a ruger #1 says more about who you are more than any other single thing.
Unless of course, you still shoot a SxS shotgun, iron sights, and/or a TC Encore (cause thats what I shoot). I think he's makin' a statement about confidence, which is true.

The nubmer 1s I have come in contact with (suprisingly few) have just been ho-hum. Which is why I opted for the Encore instead. Someday I will have a Dakota Model 10 along with a K95 Stutzen (and the Stutzen will almost definately be 7x57). Nice day dreams I have....
Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I have an encore in .50 muzzle loader and it is a nice gun. The #1 has a better trigger and you don't see many around. I get more comments about my #1 than any of my other rifles.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got three currently, one in .45-70, one in .22-250 and another in .30-06. All are quite accurate and all the triggers are pretty good. they're the older ones with some user adjustability in the trigegrs though. I'd not hesitate to buy another at all - quite the opposite. I'm set to buy one in .405 this summer and likely another in either 7x57 or the 9.5x74R chambering in the fall. I like 'em!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger's warranty for accuracy of the #1 is for a 1.5" group at 50 yards!!!!! yes...50 yards.....and while many #1 rifles shoot better than that they will not help you unless groups exceed their standard......

Ruger is also good at finding ways to void the warranty.

Only Savage is a worse gun to own when it comes to functional problems..... and Savage does stand behind their guns quite well.....

There are no Ruger (or Savage) long guns in this house for basic quality reasons.

Quick Reply: Ruger No 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.