HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rifle went off in my hands!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/195645-rifle-went-off-my-hands.html)

redhead522 06-26-2007 03:09 PM

Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

I had just purchased a Sako 75 rifle in 25-06. I had taken the stock off of the action/barrel to lower the trigger pull, as instructed in the manual. I was checking various parts of the gun to ensure that they looked up to par. I then loaded up the box magazinea few times andcycled through itto make sure that it fed properly.On the fourth or fifthtime I was cycling the gun,itwent off in my hands!! I know I didn't touch the trigger. I had it pointed in a safe direction of course, (well, safe for everything except my truck. My passenger side door doesn't work anymore.) Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I contact Sako? I'm not a lawsuit happy person, but would Sakobe responsible for the damage to my truck?

nchawkeye 06-26-2007 03:16 PM

RE: Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Not if you adjusted the trigger, you need to check it without any ammo first.
Glad you weren't hurt, good lesson.

Deleted User 06-26-2007 03:20 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

redhead522 06-26-2007 03:21 PM

That was my initial thought, except that the manual shows how to adjust the trigger. In fact, that's one of the nice features of the gun, you don't need a gunsmith to adjust the trigger, just an allen wrench. I wouldn't think the gun should be able to adjust so loose that it can go off. In hind sight, I should have followed the procedure you mentioned cma3366a, but I had never heard of something like this happening before.

JeffS 06-26-2007 03:27 PM

That is the reason most gun manufacturers don't like to put adjustable triggers on their guns. I had the same problem when I put one on my .22 rifle. Though we were checking it with it unloaded. I just tightened it up a little so it would not happen again. Most people try to set the trigger too light and when you close the bolt it can go off. That is why they recommend you have a gunsmith do it if you never have done one before so it is done safely.

bigcountry 06-26-2007 03:43 PM

Not knocking you too much pal, but I wouldn't dare sue or expect Sako to be responsible. You didn't have the gun pointed in a safe direction with live ammo. Broke a golden rule.

When I adjust a trigger, I work the action well over 20 times, very hard and very fast. Without ammo. I then load it with live ammo, and have the barrel pointed in a safe direction (not towards walls, people, or vehicles, maybe my wifes dog:D). I then work it a few times. Even after that I don't fully trust the trigger. Confidense if over time.

You can tell I have adjusted a few remington triggers.

SwampCollie 06-26-2007 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: redhead522
Should I contact Sako? I'm not a lawsuit happy person, but would Sakobe responsible for the damage to my truck?
Thats funny right there! Thats why S&W pistols now have internal locks on them. Frivolous lawsuits!

Dude...you shot a hole in your truck....its YOUR FAULT. Sure, the trigger sear shouldn't have slipped...or slam fired...whatever....but Sako didn't point it at your truck, you did.

Thats why you should always have a liscensed and insured GUNSMITH work on your triggers....that would give you a right to recourse for repair (at least on the gun....but still probably not on the truck, depends how good a lawyer you have)....but if you aren't savy enough to point a rifle in a safe direction...you just ought not have guns. Sorry to sound like an ass...but thats just how it is. I'm glad you are alright, and that nothing worse than your truck was hurt...but just let it be an expensive lesson.

redhead522 06-26-2007 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Not knocking you too much pal, but I wouldn't dare sue or expect Sako to be responsible. You didn't have the gun pointed in a safe direction with live ammo. Broke a golden rule.
Not trying to shift the point of blame, but I do find it interesting that the manual never gave me the same great advice on testing the actionyou guys did.

bigcountry 06-26-2007 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: redhead522

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
Not trying to shift the point of blame, but I do find it interesting that the manual never gave me the same great advice on testing the actionyou guys did.
I can't say I have adjusted my sako75 trigger. It was pretty nice from the factory, but will check my manual tonight to see what it says.

I agree, it should tell you to work the action a bunch of times and hard.

bigcountry 06-26-2007 04:09 PM

You know it would be interesting to see the damage it did to your truck.:)

Did it only penetrate one door? Just curious