Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle went off in my hands!!!!! >

Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You know it would be interesting to see the damage it did to your truck.

Did it only penetrate one door? Just curious
I read the whole English section of the manual (6 pages) and don't remember seeing anything about working the action. If I'm wrong though, I'll feel like a jackass.

I'll post the pics tonight just for kicks. My driver's side door was open, so it actually took a funny path. It went diagonally through the truck seat (I don't know what angle, but fairly wide) and then must have ricocheted off of something in the truck, because the path completely changed directions from where it entered to exiting my passenger's side door.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM

This is why one of the rules of gun safety is to NEVER point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot or destroy. Even if the gun is not loaded.

Cycling the action of a firearm with live ammo while pointed at something you value is just asking for disaster. Don't temp fate.

Read and re-read your sig line.

Paul
Old 06-26-2007, 05:25 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: redhead522

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You know it would be interesting to see the damage it did to your truck.

Did it only penetrate one door? Just curious
I read the whole English section of the manual (6 pages) and don't remember seeing anything about working the action. If I'm wrong though, I'll feel like a jackass.

I'll post the pics tonight just for kicks. My driver's side door was open, so it actually took a funny path. It went diagonally through the truck seat (I don't know what angle, but fairly wide) and then must have ricocheted off of something in the truck, because the path completely changed directions from where it entered to exiting my passenger's side door.
Well, just so you dont' feel so bad. I will share my jackass moment with ya. Ok, just got my first pistol. I was 18 years old, and just got my first apartment.It was amodel 13 nickel plated 357mag. Well, firing this thing, left the blast residue on the cylinder. I always kept it loaded. I tried to clean of the blast residue one day with a cleese cloth I bought, and decided to turn the chamber (with live rounds). My finger slipped and off it fired thru 2 walls into a oven of my first apartment. I used toothpaste to patch the holes, and quicly spray painted, called the next day to the landlord and compalined my oven wasn't working. Hey, important lesson, crap happens, so don't play with loaded guns.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! You had the negligent discharge that every gun owner swears can't happen to them without killing something expensive or irreplaceable.

When workingwith mechanical or any other systems with tolerances, you need to use a bit of common sense. You can rightfully expect that if you turn screw 'X' that you shhould get 'Y' result, but in the real world it doesn't always work that way. Did you use a trigger guage to check the setting? A lot of triggers can only be safely set within a certain range.

I'm not trying to ride you hard or anything, but you might have just learned the difference between learning from a book and learning from experience- book learning is easy, experience requires pain.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for your damages but feel fortunate it was only a door and not another person. The only thing I can add is you broke the most important rule of gun safety...you didn't have muzzle control. All guns need to be treated like they are loaded and are never pointed to a place where they could injure a person or damage something if it went off. I am not preaching to you because I actually had a similar thing happen to me a long time ago. Different manufactorer and different situation but none the less I was at fault...period. It wasn't Sakos fault it was yours. You were lucky and probably learned a valuable lesson just like I did so many years ago. Guns are never perfect and when you know the safety is on there is always a risk that something could happen and it could fire...hense the rule to always keep your muzzle under control.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hehehe I think this is one I wouldnt have told....but glad nobody was hurt so we can make light of it.

BTW was the truck a wallhanger? Did it run far??
Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Sounds like you adjusted it to much and you ended up with a hair trigger that could go off with the least amount of pressure.

"Not trying to shift the point of blame, but I do find it interesting that the manual never gave me the same great advice on testing the actionyou guys did."

Did your cars manual give you advice on how to drive it? Use common sense when messing with guns and hopefully you'll be safe. Ive adjusted the triggers to much before on my muzzleloaders and had them go off " unloaded" when i'd bump the rifle. 2 1/2lbs is light enough for a hunting rifle. Anything lighter and you're asking for trouble. Glad you wernt hurt though, thats the most important. Just try to keep this experience in mind next time you go and try to adjust.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

After adjusting any trigger,I cock the gun,release the safety,and then I sharply strike the bolt with a small soft faced hammer to see if the gun will fire.I recock the bolt and repeat this procedure a few times and if the gun can be made to fire by striking the bolt,I readjust the trigger.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Don't feel bad. I don't know any hunters or shooters that have not made a safety error. I shot a hole in my neighbors wall (the shell was stuck in the peice even after cycling it several times. I didn't visually check.) My huntin partner shot a hole the roof of his tent trying to get a primer off of a muzzleloader. Fact is we all had our guns in safe directions. Yes property and or merchendise was damaged. But I got the scare of my life along with feeling like an ass.....and no one was hurt. This lesson has stuck with me more than any mantra from Jeff Cooper. And no one was hurt. I am glad you were not hurt, either. And you will never forget the lesson.
AND BTW Jeff Copper said "don't point your firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy." I don't know about you, but I have had a few trucks that deserved to be shot.\
STAY SAFE OUT THERE! THE ANTI GUN WORLD JUDGES US PRETTY SEVERLEY
okcmco
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander
Did your cars manual give you advice on how to drive it? Use common sense when messing with guns and hopefully you'll be safe.
True, butI figured a company would at least give a warning if this is a possibility.Anymore mostof the warnings out there are ridiculous, like don't eat this weird chemical in this package. To those with experience or wisdom, this is common sense. But I read the entire manual through and through to make sure I was doing it right, and never knew about this scenario. To me, common sense and ignorance are a fine line, I was ignorant, but I at least used common sense in trying to follow the proper procedure.

P.S. I didn't forgot to post photos. I took the pics, but can't find my camera USB cable, and I looked everywhere. I might just go get a new one. And after careful investigation, the path of this bullet was pretty amazing, you'll see soon.

Quick Reply: Rifle went off in my hands!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.