HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Have you bought a 280 recently? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/194286-have-you-bought-280-recently.html)

redhead522 06-13-2007 07:04 PM

Have you bought a 280 recently?

I've only heard positive things about this round, but haven't seen any guns chambered in it for a while. Does it even have a market anymore?

REM7MMAG 06-13-2007 08:13 PM

RE: Have you bought a 280 recently?

just got a rem cdl .280 the range is the only thing i have got 2 try it out on but hopefully maybe chase some pigs wiht it this weekend i love the caliber mild recoil but a good punch

Deleted User 06-13-2007 08:24 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

BrutalAttack 06-14-2007 04:01 AM

It can easily outperform either of those rounds you mentioned, however it didn't sufficiently distinguish itself form the rest of the field mainly due to a series of unfortunate marketing snafus. I'm still a firm believer that it is capable of consistenly outperforming either the .270 or the .30-06. The factory loads, tame as they are, are still marginally better than most of the .270 and 06 offerings.

eldeguello 06-14-2007 05:52 AM

"The .280 remington is one of those obsolete cult following rounds. It did nothing that the .270 and .30/06 diddent do, so it fell into obsolescence. Now that it is rare and old, it has become trendy as not everyone has one. Nothing wron with wanting or owning one, but no real reason to with hard to find components either."

As a matter of fact, a number of very knowledgeable people used the .280. One that comes to mind right off is Fred Huntington, the RCBS founder. Even Jack O'Connor once candidly admitted that the .280 was better that the .270! Why did the .280 fail (in the U.S.)?? It came along almost 50 years after the .270, and occupies about the same niche in the cartridge lineup. In addition, Remington pushed it mainly as a semi-auto loading, and had to load it below its performence capabilities to use it in their SA rifles. Then, to make matters worse, they introduced the 7mm Rem. Mag. right on the heels of the .280, so the poor .280never had a chance, really!

However, the European version (7X64-7X65R) of this cartridge is more popular than ever and shows no signs of being obsolete. The best cartridges in the world don't always originate here!!

Deleted User 06-14-2007 08:36 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

eldeguello 06-14-2007 04:15 PM

Sounds an awful lot like "they hate new chamberings that share a similar niche as an existing one. Nothing could be as good as old reliable .XXX thats been around for dikity-five years"

Hate has nothing to do with it. But if I owned a good .270 on the day Remington introduced the .280, I would not buy a .280 since it is so close tot he .270 in performance. In addition, since I personally preferred a Model 70 Win. over a 700 Remington and the .280 was never chambered in the Model 70, I would not be able to buy one regardless.

MOST American rifle hunters are not like most of us on this board. They buy ONE rifle, maybe two, during their hunting lifetime and shoot factory ammo in it. Whereas we enthusiasts will have a safe full of the things, maybe even MORE than ONE chambered for the very same cartridge. For example I once owned five 7X57mm's, two .270's, plus three in .30/'06 and two in .308!

BrutalAttack 06-14-2007 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

the same cartridge as the others makes it drastically outperform them? Please explain who this is possible.

where exactly was that term used?

BrutalAttack 06-14-2007 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

MOST American rifle hunters are not like most of us on this board. They buy ONE rifle, maybe two, during their hunting lifetime and shoot factory ammo in it.
Nail----->head. Exactly why the '06 remained so popular irregardless of the fact that at least half a dozen cartridges were released that were capable of better performance with a smaller bullet etc.

PS not trying to turn this into a '06 sucks thread or anything else. Just an observation.

Pawildman 06-14-2007 11:18 PM

Eldeguello...
When you said that Win. never chambered a Model 70 in .280 Rem., a buzzer went off for me. I checked my Blue Book of Gun Values and found at least three different variations of the Model 70 were indeed chambered for the .280....post-64 Model 70 Featherweight, Model 70 Classic Featherweight, and Model 70 Lightweight Rifle.
And yes, sir, I certainly agree that enthusiasts often own more than one gun of the same caliber. At the current time I own two .270's, multiple 30-06's, and even admit to owning two of the dreaded .280's whose virtues have been discussed here.