HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   do you buy online? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/194237-do-you-buy-online.html)

curth83 06-13-2007 11:25 AM

do you buy online?

just wondering if any of you buy your guns online. what are the pros and cons in doing this?

Rammer 06-13-2007 12:00 PM

RE: do you buy online?

I have bought a couple AR15s online, and a few others as well. I can find better deals online that my local gunshops won't meet or beat. I also can't get a Rock River Arms AR15 locally, so online is the best/easiest way for me to buy them.

Aught Six 06-13-2007 03:08 PM

Yes, I do, but not as much as I used to. The pros: online dealers often sell for less than dealers with a storefront. The cons: unless you've bought from the same person before, you don't know what you're going to get until it ships. And if you don't get what you were sold, you have to send it back and start shopping all over again.

I don't recommend that people go over their budgets, but if you can afford to pay a little extra at agood local dealer, go for it. The service makes a big difference, and there are few surprises. Oh, almost forgot--don't forget about shipping and transfer costs. Usually $20 S&H plus anywhere from a $20-$50 transfer fee from the FFL you're having it shipped to.

I still buy foreign milsurp weapons online because they canbe difficult to find outside of gun shows and prices are spectacular online.

game4lunch 06-13-2007 03:37 PM

I just recently did. Local dealers didn't want to hastle with ordering me a 1911, so I was forced to. Got lucky and found a VERY nice outfit to buy from. Low price was easy to swollow also. Only hastle might be finding a local dealer with an FFL that will want to do business with you. I'm not sure I would buy a used gun, but a new one was no problem. Be sure the seller has a liberal return policy new or used.

Maine Shooter 06-13-2007 06:06 PM

I have but only if it's something I cannot get locally or my dealer cannot get me one from his distributors.

Deleted User 06-13-2007 06:47 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

redhead522 06-13-2007 07:09 PM

I do buy many of them online, but only because I'm left handed. Most of the left handedguns I want have been discontinued (Sako, Weatherby, Winchester, various caliber Remington's, etc. Also, some of the odd configuration Heckler and Koch's (the left handed variants). Other than that, not normally.

Rammer 06-13-2007 08:24 PM

I should say it helps when my best friends dad has his FFL and I get my guns transferred for free. I think I might just pony up the $$$ and get myself a FFL of my own.

redhead522 06-13-2007 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I should say it helps when my best friends dad has his FFL and I get my guns transferred for free. I think I might just pony up the $$$ and get myself a FFL of my own.
You can get in a lot of trouble for getting an FFL just to enhance your collection. The BATF canmonitor your business, so if you do get one, I recommend you advertise that you do FFL transfers to make it authentic.

Rammer 06-13-2007 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: redhead522

ORIGINAL: Rammer

You can get in a lot of trouble for getting an FFL just to enhance your collection. The BATF canmonitor your business, so if you do get one, I recommend you advertise that you do FFL transfers to make it authentic.
Thanks for the heads up. I was aware of that. There are alot of pheasant hunting banquets around, and I'm sure I'd start picking up guns for those and I'd probably start going to a few gun shows as well to try to pick up some extra income in the winter months when the farming and hunting guiding is all done.