Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sub-MOA Rifles >

Sub-MOA Rifles

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sub-MOA Rifles

Old 06-07-2007, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Sub-MOA Rifles

My savage 17HMR is as close as it gets for me. It normally shoots under an inch but sometimes I get a flyer that opens it up to an inch or slightly more.

I don't think I have ever owned a centerfire that would do it consistantly with factory ammo. I don't hand load.

Paul
Old 06-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of my scoped bolt action guns .30 caliber and under are capable of one inch three shot groups at 100 yards. Will not have a gun that is not accurate: Got two that are going awaythis weekendfor that reason.

Had to work on all of my rifles. Biggest challenge was myMathieu in .300 Win. Mag.Traded a ragged Winchester 1873 for it in Rockville, MD.It came with a Buhmillerbarrel chambered for .300 Weatherby, a cartridge that i hate.Had the barrel set back and re-chambered for .300 Win Mag.The action hasbeen glass beddedand the barrel floated, it is now a consistent one inch and better gun. Had to develop specific loads for some of my rifles that will not work well in other of my guns in the same caliber.Two of my rifles have Hart barrels and bothconsistently make.5 inch groups in the hands of my Marine NCO friend.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have a few,if you find the right load a lot of the factory rifles will shoot some groupsan inch or less at 100 yds.Now if you want consistancy group after group you better go with a custom rifle.
I shoot a lot of rifles and a bunch of differentloads week in and week out,don't own any customs but I get one holers with the reg rifles once in awhile and I am very satisfied.Nothing wrong with custom rifles if I had the money I would have a bunch of them.
These groups were shot with factory rifles last week.I have a lot more targets (one holers ) shot with factory rifles including 2 muzzleloaders.
Some have been beded,all have the factory triggers but have been adjusted.A couple stocks have been replaced with bell and carlson stocks(a 7/08 rem,and a 270 rem)

Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only completely stock/out-of-the -box gun that I currently own that will do it is my 7-08 Rem. CDL with my own handloads. I have several others that will do MOA or less regularly, but they have all been bedded and load-developed for. Out of the box guns that shoot MOA with factory ammo are about as scarce as the Holy Grail.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only one I currently own is the Savage 17 HMR, I have other 1" or better shooters but they have all been tweaked. I did have one that was bone stock and shot 1" or betterit was a 700BDL 25-06. After that gun I got spoiled and hence the need for tweaking.

My partner bought a Savage 7mm rem mag this winter (bone stock) and we found 1 loadthat will shoot 1" or less- 140 Nosler BT, handloaded not factory!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Spike

I have three. My Remington Model 7 in .222 will stay well under an inch, my Browning A-bolt .243 will shoot several different loads under an inch. Both of these guns will do .5" for three shots on a good day with their favorite loads. I also have a Browning Stainless Stalker .30-06 that will hold about .6-7" with 150 Nosler Accubonds (3 shots.)
Will
Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Spike

My Savage 10FP .223 shot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with Black Hills Reman 68 gr. MHP. I just put a new stock on it and am going to shoot it this weekend I hope. I would like to see some improvement but for a $515 rifle, it's hard to beat as is.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Retaks

How many people actually have a rifle that shoots Sub MOA? IM not talking about the $1500 or $3000 custom rifles. Im talking a factory rifle for under $800 that will consistantly shoot under 1in.
I have ONE. Out of about 20. It is a Ruger No. 1 single-shot 7mm Remington magnum from 1969, and it consistently shoots 1" groups at 200 yards (but NOT with factory ammo). So it is a .5-min. shooter.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Ruger M77MKII target.220 swiftwill do it with hand loads.Only work done to it was a trigger job and fire lap the barrel.

Quick Reply: Sub-MOA Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.