Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me pick a pistol >

Help me pick a pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick a pistol

Old 06-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help me pick a pistol

I am stuck between2 different ones,and 3 different barrel lengths.

The first is a S&W model 629 with an 8 3/8" barrel

The second is a Ruger Super redhawk with 7.5",or 9.5" barrel.

I am planning on using it 90% of the time for hunting hogs and deer,10% target shooting.I do not plan on using hot loads,and I am going to keep it open sights.I don't plan on shooting over 50yds,and prefer to shoot 35yds or less.

My problem is that I have been told the S&W trigger is way smoother than the rugers,but I have been told the Ruger is way stronger than the S&W.Any help is appreciated!!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me pick a pistol

You say that you have heard about the Ruger's strength yet also state you won't use hot loads. That there would tend to have me suggest the S&W even though I greatly prefer Rugers. Now were it me wanting a hunting revolver, I'd not bother with a double action as in the field you'll shoot it single action most likely anyways. That and I greatly prefer the SA's anyways.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yes you've got it right.So the S&W should hold up just fine for my intentions shouldn't it?Is there a difference as far as trigger pull on a S/A and D/A?What I am saying is ablackhawk and redhawk trigger pull the same from the cocked position?I hear the S&W has a smooth trigger pull,and that means alot to me..Why do you prefer a S/A?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Look at the post "44mag-45apc." look at all three pages for some help.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can get a good trigger pull with either a Double or Single action. However from the box you may find the single action trigger a bit shorter and lighter. I always have the triggers tweaked on all revolvers. I would pick the Ruger every time as strength really counts for me and adds up to reliability. Nothing against S&W but the Ruger is the tougher gun and I have had plenty of both brands.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

S&W all the way. I know there are alot of Ruger fan's on this site. And far be it for me to cause any controversy(HAHA). But IMO the S&W isthe hand's down favorite. Pistol for pistol out of the box I have never seen a Ruger that would shoot with a S&W. I sold and handled thousands of them over the years. I can not remember the first Ruger that had a trigger as good as the S&W out of the box. And this bunk about shooting out a S&W. I do not think that has happened too many times. And I promise you there has been plenty of Ruger's go out of timing as well.Go to a gun show and look for a good used Ruger, and a good used S&W. You will get an education.

I enclosed a picture of my Performance center StealthHunter. Ruger has never made a pistol that will shoot with this baby. Custom or not.Tom.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Having owned a Super Redhawk since 1990 I am a little biased. But reading what you want from the gun I would say you should go with the S&W. My needs were different than yours. I wanted a scope, I was going to reload for it, they were going to be hot loads. It has shot far more paper and groundhogs, in that order, than deer.

I think the S&W sounds to be a better fit for your needs, no need to trash another company in order to get ones point across.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always been a Ruger revolver fan, but I firmly believe that the S&W will be a better investment should you ever need to sell it.

I own a couple of Rugers and 3 S&W's, and the triggers on my Smiths are better than the Rugers. I wouldn't say that they are across the board better, but most of the ones that I have ever handled have been pretty good.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I in no way meant to trash Ruger's. I do not think that pointing out the fact's is "trashing". I failed to mention that the S&W is also more expensive, so it should be a better product.

I worked for years for the largest distributor of sporting goods that there was(at the time). I sold the entire Ruger line, and the entire S&W line. I sold and handled Literally thousands of pieces. I was also responsible for alot of the customer service. I probably sold 10 Ruger pistols for every 1S&W I sold. The main reason for that was cost, and the fact that Ruger handles so many more SKU's. With the exception of the P-85 Ruger, I had very few returns and problem's with both lines(Taurus was a different matter-I sent bunches of them back). Ruger makes a top quality pistol for the money, and as pointed out it is very rugged. Mostly due to Ruger's mastery of investment castings, and not so much their machining capabilities(which I believe is S&W's strength). And machining is more expensive than casting, but it is also more precise. S&W invented the magnum's, and they had a learning curve to go through. IMO this is where some of the "not tough enough" comments come from. I have shot the BE DEVIL out of my S&W's, and to quote "they keep on ticking".

I just happen to be an accuracy buff. I want the best shooting firearm I can get(within reason). And again IMO and experience the S&W's will outshoot the Ruger's. But the bottom line is that Ruger's are capable great hunting accuracy(their double actions). I personally do not find their single actions to be as accurate as their DA's. But then most SA's are shot open sighted, and at shorter distances. I have no problem with a 100 yard shot with my S&W. I have seen alot of SA's Ruger's that would have a hard time performing at 100 yards with hunting accuracy. However I have shot a few Blackhawk Hunter's that would perform at 100 yards. Tom.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

None of my S&W's will out shoot my Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter. I have shot them Head to Head many times. The S&W's are more money as well. Over priced IMO. Like I said, I have both and they each have their place. The Smith is a bit lighter to carry than the Ruger but the Ultra Lite Taurus has them both beat in that department. The Smith had the best trigger from the box but the Ruger has by far the best trigger since I had it reworked. %0.00 will do an excellent trigger job on the Ruger and Ruger triggers need work. Once done though, you have the best of both worlds, extreme strength and shootability.

I would never part with any of my 44 Mags. If I had to though, the Ultra Lite Taurus would be the last to go as it serves as both a hunting gun and a carry gun at 26 OZ. This is an excellent Taurus and has many rounds through it already.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.