Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Indiana Deer Rifle >

Indiana Deer Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Indiana Deer Rifle

Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Indiana Deer Rifle

Indiana recently passed a new law allowing rifles with pistol cartridges .357 and larger in diameter. I am wanting to buy one to hunt with but I don't know enough to narrow it down. What is the best pistol cartridge to shoot in a rifle as far as range and knockdown for whitetail?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Indiana Deer Rifle

I'd get me a 44mag lever action or a single shot Encore. The 44 is great for deer.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the best pistol cartridge to shoot in a rifle as far as range and knockdown for whitetail?
My first thought was the 44mag also, but that's because it's the only one I really know much about in the larger diameters.

Anybody want to list several cartridges that might be contenders in this area? Maybe in order of preference or power level?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Spike

The .500 S&W is the largest, most powerfull allowed by the new law. I think NEF makes a handi-rifle in that caliber. The .460 S&Wis too long. Next would be the .454 Casull, which I'm pretty sure comes in a lever action from Rossi. I'd like to see someone do some wildcatting with the .500 S&W.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Spike

I have spent a great deal of time looking for a rifle in a pistol cartridge. My goal is to pair up a rifle and revolver in the same round. I purchased a Marlin 1894 in 44 MAG for use on my Dad’s land as it is not very large and has no shot over 150 yards or so. I will not put a scope on this rifle because I want this gun to serve as a quick handling brush gun. Ammo is relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

A list of some of the approved cartridges can be found at (http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/rules.html). The list is :
The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:
A) fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger;
(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and
(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches.
Some cartridges that will be legal include the following:
.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special
.44-.40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W
Old 06-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Ford.
That list should get the brains working on a selection.
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ford351win

I have spent a great deal of time looking for a rifle in a pistol cartridge. My goal is to pair up a rifle and revolver in the same round. I purchased a Marlin 1894 in 44 MAG for use on my Dad’s land as it is not very large and has no shot over 150 yards or so. I will not put a scope on this rifle because I want this gun to serve as a quick handling brush gun. Ammo is relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

A list of some of the approved cartridges can be found at (http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/rules.html). The list is :
The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:
A) fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger;
(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and
(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches.
Some cartridges that will be legal include the following:
.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special
.44-.40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W
I think you shoud include the fastest factory round available...the S&W 460! JMHO
Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the 460 S&W legal? That would be an awesome round. H&R is making their Buffalo Classic long distance rifle in 45 LC. I have been told that it could be chambered to the 460 S&W. And then you could still shoot 45 LC ammo for practice.

I also think the 1894 Marlin Cowboy in 45 LC would be an awesome rifle.

However the best would be the BC in 460S&W. In the hands of a well practiced and competant shooter. I think 300 yard kills would not be a problem with the 460. Just my opinion. But I am pretty sure I could do it. It might take a 1000 rounds to really learn your rifle, but I have plenty of casting lead, and powder is cheaper if you buy the bigger can. Tom.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Spike

The list I re-printed is not mine; it is one I found on the state DNR page of legal cartridges. The list I started with left out some of the more exotic rounds. As to the 460, according to Chuck Haws (http://www.chuckhawks.com/460_SW_Mag.htm) the overall case length of a 460 is 1.800 inches. The maximum legal length is 1.625 inches so the 460 is not a legal round according to what I have read.

As for a gun, A buffalo classic in 45 Colt would be a classy choice for a single shot. As would be a H&R in 500MAG. The choice for lever actions is almost limitless. Marlin, Ruger, Hennery, and Puma come directly to mind. Basically any cowboy action rifle should work out for this application. If a semi-auto is called for look at a Ruger Deerfield carbine.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Henry lever chambered in a .357 mag simply because I was already reloading for my pistol. It has worked just fine for me. A friend of mine has one chambered in .44 mag. and is also effective but has somewhat more kick. His cal. choice was for the same reason. Bigger may be badder but do the deer really know the difference?

Quick Reply: Indiana Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.