Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Gun

Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Default First Gun

I am new to hunting, and I was wondering people's opinions on the best first hunting gun to get. I am going to be hunting whitetail in the Fall, and I was wondering what you all think the best gun is for the job? (caliber, brand, etc.)
Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First Gun

ORIGINAL: allmanbrohunter

I am new to hunting, and I was wondering people's opinions on the best first hunting gun to get. I am going to be hunting whitetail in the Fall, and I was wondering what you all think the best gun is for the job? (caliber, brand, etc.)
I don't think you can go wrong with a .30/'06. You can get ammo for that caliber all over the world,for practically any game you plan to hunt, and forconditions from thick brush to long-range work......
Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

it depends on a lot of things. like if you can use rifle, or if you are only limited to shotgun. also the terrain that you choose to hunt will impact your decision.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:37 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

IMHO, the first three long guns should be:
22 LR
30-06
12 Gauge

Then, paying attention to cartridge spacing,build from there!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

How big a person are you? Have you shot Cernterfire rifles much? The good old 30-06 is a fine round, no question. But if you are small in stature or not use to shooting, this round may do more damage than good. The recoil alone is about as much as the average person can tolerate. If your are small or not use to shooting I recommend a .243, 7-08 or similar chambering.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like someone said if you intend to use a rifle then the 7mm-08, 270, 280, 308 or 30-06 would be fine. For the price I like the Savage and Remington SPS as well as the CZ. If small game is on the list then the .22 Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice. The 870 Remington would be a good shotgun to start with. If its short range deer hunmting then don't over look the 30-30.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's your budget, and what's your intended quarry(s) ???
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not only does the hunting terrain and conditions play a role in your choice of rifle but you as a person also. As it is your first deer rifle I would have to ask what is your physical size and experience shooting? Even though I hunt with a 7mm mag and love it, I would not recommend it to a smaller inexperienced hunter. I started my first son out with a Marlin 30-30. Inexpensive to shoot (I load all my hunting rounds) so that he was able to put lots of practise in at the range with out developing any type of flinch (I've seen some start out with too big a cal. and start flinching right away). This year I'm starting out my second son with a 7-08. Nice flat shooting with, according to the ballistics charts, more down range hitting power than a .25-250 or .243 (which are nice deer cal. also and own them both). Before you buy look at all the variables such as hunting terrain, typical shots you will be attempting (50, 100, 200 yards etc.), your size andshooting ability, your budget (don't forget there is a lot more expence in deer hunting than a rifle and ammunition,I'm equipping my second son this year so I know the feeling....actually it's pretty darn exciting buying stuff for him). If you post more info on your hunting situation I would be able to provide morespecific information. Good luck and welcome to the obsession.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

What state are you from? If you're from Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois, you can only hunt with a shotgun, maybe Indiana has exceptions.

What is the terrain? Is it wooded mountains? valley? Farmer's field's? Swamp? Desert?

I would say for a starter cartridge, if you're an adult, you can get a 30-06 bolt action, and you can put a recoil pad on it later if the recoil bothers you.

If your price range is $400 and lower, then a Savage in 30-06 is okay,
If your price range is $600 and lower, a Remington SPS in 30-06 is a great quality rifle, the synthetic stock makes it cheap.

Most of the above listed rifles can be bought in smaller calibers, if you want it.
I would suggest going to your nearest gun dealer, not Wal-Mart, but a real Outdoor, or Gun store, and ask an employee to help you out, and give you a grip on things, also, if you haven't taken a hunter's safety course, I advise you take one, it'll teach you alot about guns, hunting, and safety, plus, in almost all states, it is a requirement if you want to hunt.

A scope can be bought for as little as $100, but a $150-$200 is best, Bushnell, Simmon's, and Shooter's Edge are great choices for cheap scopes.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 PM

I ended up getting a Ruger 270. I didn't want to get too high a caliber that it would knock me on my ass, so the guy at the shop told me that rifle would definatly do the trick.