Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too early?!? >

Too early?!?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too early?!?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too early?!?

A few months ago my father in law (big-time outdoorsman who taught me to hunt) came home with a "pop" gun for my little boy who is about to turn 3. Basically, its a kids toy gun that is a lever action. Youcycle the lever action, pull the trigger and get a loud "pop". My little boy loves animals and the outdoors. He watches videos of my hunts (without theactual shooting) and LOVES them. He runs around the house hunting buffalo and deer with his little pop gun...there is no telling how many times he has dragged me to a closet to show me his 2 buffalos he brought home from a hunt(imaginary of course ).Anyways, I thought it wasnt too early to start teaching him gun safety. Wewalk through the woods carrying thepop gunproperly, always aware of barrel location, never cocked, etc. Now granted he is young and forgets A-LOT, but that is expected,he is only about to be 3 years old. But, its a great time for me and him to spend together andI think you can never teach gun appreciation/safety too early. Please understand, he will NOT begetting a real gun of any kind for several years and when he does it will be an air rifle of some sort.Basically, Im trying to say that I dont think it was too early to start teaching him gun safety and the fun of the outdoors, especially since he loves it so much.

This leads me to my issue. My cousin is staunchly against guns. He doesnt allow his children to play games with any violence at all which I understant completely, its not healthy for children to see the violence or take part in make believe violence through video games. I mentioned that my little boy has a new toy pop rifle and he didnt understand why or how I could allow my child to play with such a thing. I explained the idea of teaching gun control at an early age and how it benefits the child because of the knowledge and understanding that is gained.Mycousinstoutly refused this idea saying it is iresponsible for me as a parent to let my child play with a toy that could potentially cause irreperable damage. Now this is the interesting part. He is a hunter, has atleast one gunthat I know of, but he doesnt keep them at his house and does not educate his children about them. His oldest is 13 years old and isnt even allowed to have a slingshot! I can understant his point of view, and itis his right to raise his kids how sees fit, and I would never speak bad abouthim for doing it because they are his children and his family.

But I have made efforts to make sure that my child doesnt see the killing of the animals in my hunts as I dont believe he is of age to understand it properly. He loves the outdoors, and I love to be in the outdoors with him, and as a natural progression of time occurs, he will be exposed to hunting in due course. Right now, all he knows is that I go out into the woods with a gun and spend time with the animals, occasinally bringing a broken one back.

Now the question....HaveI startedmy child at too young of an age?Can it be seen as irresponsible on my part for letting him play with a toy"pop" gun, even though we are trying to teach him responsibility with it? I want him to be knowledgable, respectful, and careful around firearms and the outdoors and so I started himwhen he began to show interest in them. WasI wrong for that? If so, how long did others wait before exposing their child to play hunting?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Too early?!?

Nope you’re not wrong in starting them right at an early age. I hate to say it but your cousin’s kids are a statistic waiting to happen. If they get around a gun away from adult supervision how do you think they will handle it? Teach your kids right from the start and you’ll be less likely to get a visit from the police with their hat in their hands because your kid did something stupid. There is no way to completely protect your children from danger but, you can teach them how stay safe as possible. That is our responsibility as parents.

mello
Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

My 2 sons got their "pop gun" at around 2-3, their Daisy Red Rider at 5, their pump pellet gun at 7-8, .22/.410 at 8-9, etc. It is never to early to teach gun safety. Many gun accidents happen every year because children do not know how to handle a gun correctly. Education is the key to prevent accidents and prevent irresponsible behavior.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

My kids started going hunting with me when they were about 4 or 5 years old. They have seen dead deer since that age and they have seen first hand, several times,what a bullet can really do when it strikes a living thing. They have a respect for firearms that many kids this day and age simply don't have. They have been shooting 22's since about 4 or 5 and started shooting center fire rifles, shotguns and handguns at about age 7 or 8. They don't have that "curiosity killed the cat" mentality when it comes to firearms because they have been educated about them. My son was able to get permission from his school to take a disabled bolt action rifle to his 5th grade elementary class so he could do a report on how to properly clean a rifle.

It is never too early to teach children about firearms and firearm safety.

Your cousins children are the ones that unfortunately get accidentally killed when they happen upon a firearm and no adults are around to protect them. AS mello said, they are a statistic waiting to happen.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should continue to teach your child about gun safety. Let each child progress at their own rate. I know it is easy to try and rush them, but as you know, the kids will let you know when it is time to progress.

It sounds like your cousin has his head in the sand. This may sound cruel, but I would keep my child away from him. He sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Tom.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM

I can't remember ever NOT having at least asquirt pistoland one of those "machine guns" that had a little clicker wheel that made noise when you pulled the trigger.

I turned out fine. In all of my 23 years not once have I ever shot up a bunch of kids in a school, hit somebody intending to hurt them (really, never been in a fight), or even pointed a firearm at someone much less pulled the trigger. I guess my toy guns really screwed me up, huh?

And per your idea, yeah I think my dad did teach me to respect them at an early age. I knew that my toys were ok but his weren't. He never kept them locked up, only the ammo stored away on a shelf that even now I have to stretch to reachbutI just knew not to touch them, even if they were unloaded, because that's how I was taught. When he got me a BB gun I already knew how to treat and respecta gun and so I was infinitely more safe than a kid whose parents would just up and buy them one.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

You are doing a great thing by starting him now. I think the way you are doing is great too. As a father of 2, I'm glad to see people teaching their kids about guy safety before something bad happens like did in mine. No one got hurt but after my uncle put a round into the roof, my grandfather decided to teach him gun safety.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

Nope you’re not wrong in starting them right at an early age. I hate to say it but your cousin’s kids are a statistic waiting to happen. If they get around a gun away from adult supervision how do you think they will handle it? Teach your kids right from the start and you’ll be less likely to get a visit from the police with their hat in their hands because your kid did something stupid. There is no way to completely protect your children from danger but, you can teach them how stay safe as possible. That is our responsibility as parents.

mello
I agree 100%. If they find guns they may be more apt to do something stupid with them. Education is key. Keep on keepin on.

Tom
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Gangly

A few months ago my father in law (big-time outdoorsman who taught me to hunt) came home with a "pop" gun for my little boy who is about to turn 3. Basically, its a kids toy gun that is a lever action. Youcycle the lever action, pull the trigger and get a loud "pop". My little boy loves animals and the outdoors. He watches videos of my hunts (without theactual shooting) and LOVES them. He runs around the house hunting buffalo and deer with his little pop gun...there is no telling how many times he has dragged me to a closet to show me his 2 buffalos he brought home from a hunt(imaginary of course ).Anyways, I thought it wasnt too early to start teaching him gun safety. Wewalk through the woods carrying thepop gunproperly, always aware of barrel location, never cocked, etc. Now granted he is young and forgets A-LOT, but that is expected,he is only about to be 3 years old. But, its a great time for me and him to spend together andI think you can never teach gun appreciation/safety too early. Please understand, he will NOT begetting a real gun of any kind for several years and when he does it will be an air rifle of some sort.Basically, Im trying to say that I dont think it was too early to start teaching him gun safety and the fun of the outdoors, especially since he loves it so much.

This leads me to my issue. My cousin is staunchly against guns. He doesnt allow his children to play games with any violence at all which I understant completely, its not healthy for children to see the violence or take part in make believe violence through video games. I mentioned that my little boy has a new toy pop rifle and he didnt understand why or how I could allow my child to play with such a thing. I explained the idea of teaching gun control at an early age and how it benefits the child because of the knowledge and understanding that is gained.Mycousinstoutly refused this idea saying it is iresponsible for me as a parent to let my child play with a toy that could potentially cause irreperable damage. Now this is the interesting part. He is a hunter, has atleast one gunthat I know of, but he doesnt keep them at his house and does not educate his children about them. His oldest is 13 years old and isnt even allowed to have a slingshot! I can understant his point of view, and itis his right to raise his kids how sees fit, and I would never speak bad abouthim for doing it because they are his children and his family.

But I have made efforts to make sure that my child doesnt see the killing of the animals in my hunts as I dont believe he is of age to understand it properly. He loves the outdoors, and I love to be in the outdoors with him, and as a natural progression of time occurs, he will be exposed to hunting in due course. Right now, all he knows is that I go out into the woods with a gun and spend time with the animals, occasinally bringing a broken one back.

Now the question....HaveI startedmy child at too young of an age?Can it be seen as irresponsible on my part for letting him play with a toy"pop" gun, even though we are trying to teach him responsibility with it? I want him to be knowledgable, respectful, and careful around firearms and the outdoors and so I started himwhen he began to show interest in them. WasI wrong for that? If so, how long did others wait before exposing their child to play hunting?
Nothing wrong with what you are doing. Teaching respect for firearms and safety can not start too early, and from your post you seem very mindful and sensible in what you are doing.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:35 PM

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I shot my first real gun(my dads old 22) when i was about 6 or7. I will never forget that. I will also never forget the first time i saw him bring a dead deer home and clean it(I was 4 or 5). Or the first time i saw him actually shoot a deer(i was about 7)and realizing how much damage a bullet can do to something. I have alot of respect for guns now and own quite a collection myself now. I know what it can do to someone if used in the wrong way. Im not someone thats going to go shoot up a school though.

Quick Reply: Too early?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.