Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too early?!? >

Too early?!?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too early?!?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Too early?!?

I do not think that you are wrong by teaching him about guns at an early age. My generation grew up with toy guns and real guns. I know that we live in a different age now, and some things may be debatable. However, toy guns and violent TV shows didn't kill us, nor did it turn us into murderers!
This is all besides the point though.
The point is, you are doing your child a good favor in teaching him about gun safety! I would even recommend that you take it a step further! As soon as you feel he can handle it, take him to the range and at least show him what a bullet can do to a jug of water!
I raised two girls, and showed them at an early age that guns don't just make noise! They both turned out fine!
I think that it is important for them to see that unlike TV, what you pull the trigger on, doesn't just get up and walk away!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Spike

Gun safety sooner than later is correct.I grew up in the 60s.My first gun(age 5 or 6)was a plastic lever action that came with rubber suction cup darts.It was part of a set that came with a battery opperated grizzly bear.It was called the "Pappa Bear" set.This bear had four small wheels on the bottom,it would growl and roll across the floor untill it hit a wall then turn around and head the other way.The object of the gamewas to shoot the heck out of the bear.(the polliticly correct crowd would totally freak out today) The first time my dad turned this thing on, I RAN AND JUMPED UP ON THE COUCH CRYING. He proceded to shoot the bear a few times with the rubber darts, before long I was off the couch blazing away killing grizzly.(We also shot some bulbs off the Christmas tree, Mom was not impressed.)I was taught from the very begining not to point this gun at my sibblings or anyone else. Doing so would result in a good swift arse kicking fromDad.(Mom shure wasn't afraid to hand them out either.)Iwasn't much older whenI started shooting 22s(supervised by Dad, of course.)Dad never kept loaded guns in the house. By the time I was 12, I could field strip a M1 carbine. I don't remember how young I was when I touched my first dead critter, just always been apart of my life. None of this has traumatized me or led to being on OPRAHcrying in a kleenex. I raised my kids the same way. Always handle a gun as if it were loaded.Fight for what you believe, God Guns Glory! (anybody remember Papa Bear? )
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't add anything to what the collective has said just one thing I will say to you Gangly +1 to you,you sound like a responsible dad!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 PM

thats the way it was with me, im fourteen now and dad would always leave the 22 and 12 propped up in the corner where it was easily within reach of me but i was probably five before i had even touched them, not exactly the smae thing but on our fourwheeler dad wouldnt let me go past second gear till i was 9 and im still fairly good with it, my nieghbor figured his kid would be good on the three wheeler since he was so young and didnt lay down the rules until it was to late now the kid wont ever learn, he was doing donuts on the road so i took of in the ranger and poped over the hill without him noticing till i was right there and he jumped like no other when he saw me and hit a fence, told him to stay of the road, two days later hes back, set them straight before they go wrong
Old 05-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with everyone else. You're not teaching him too early. Your gun safety training will be embedded in him for the rest of his life and may even save his life or one of his friends should they come across onethat is unsecured, say at a friend's house.
It is my opinion that a lot of children are injured or killed by not having the proper instruction on gun handling. Your friend's child is more apt to have an accident simply because he is unaware of the dangers of guns and his inability to handle them safely and with respect.