Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Managed-Recoil Ammo >

Managed-Recoil Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Managed-Recoil Ammo

Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Managed-Recoil Ammo

I am considering buying my 11 year old son a new Remington SPS and would like to know if anyone has tried the Remington managed-recoil ammo. I am leaning toward getting him a .270 but am also looking at .308 and .30'06. The recoil in all 3 are in the 15-18 lb range with small bullets but are supposedly reduced by approx. 50% with the managed-recoil loads. Has anyone used this ammo? How did it shoot? Was the recoil significantly reduced? Were you fortunate enough to harvest a deer with it? If so, were you pleased with its performance?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 PM

Default RE: Managed-Recoil Ammo

I wouldnt get the ammo. I havnt herd anything good about it yet. Id get him the 270 and never look back. I was 12 and got m my 30-06 and still use it. It has been a great gun even though the model is not. Im looking to trade it in and get a 25-06 or a 270 this summer. I just realized i dont need that much power for deer where i live. If i need more power i have a 300 Ultra Mag i won this winter that will do the job very well. Get the 270 and stick with standard loads.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't agree with Retaks. My wife used it last year in her .308. Out to 200 yards it's just fine. It had a noticeable effect on recoil reduction. Another option would be a 25/06. Very mild recoiler and deadly on deer. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

One of my brothers bought his grandson a nef 270 last year (i think the grandson is around 10 or 12)and got me to put a scope on it and try the rem reduced recoil loads,they were the new core=loc ulta bullets 115 gr.Since he did this in deer season I didn't have a chance to take it to the range so I zeroed it from my back deck at 25 yds and then shot a 5 shot one hole group with it off hand.To me thats pretty darn accurate and believe they will take a deer out to 200 yds.
The younster didn't see a deer to shoot at but maybe next year will get a chance.
The recoil was reduced quite a bit,If the sps came in the 260 it would be a great caliber for a younster and oldster also.
A 243 or 7/08 would be a good one also.
I have the 270 in the ss SPS and it does have some recoil to it especially with my reloads,and a 22/250 blue sps and both rifles will shoot.
Wishing you the best whatever you choose.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Managed recoil grouped well foe me as well. No complaints.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies. My son wants the .270 because his "big" brother (1 yr older) has a 7-08. The 7-08 is the best of both worls, low recoil and great ballistics. He was scheduled to use is .243 for one more year but due to extreme inconsistencies in his handi-rifle, I am being forced to buy his gun a year early. Any other replies would be much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM

I have nothing but praise for the reduced recoil ammo, it gives youngsters, and new shooters the chance to learn good shooting habits, instead of fearing recoil, and flinching.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Managed recoil ammo is one option, but a rifle chambered in a milder recoiling cartridge to begin with might be better. The 260 Rem and 7mm-08 Rem are both excellent cartridges with very little recoil and great ballistics.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i started shooting a 308 at 10 or 11. i didnt have a problem with it...but i grew up shooting so i knew HOW to shoot. i think knowing HOW to shoulder a gun and take its recoil plays a bigggg factor into the punch you take...

a good aftermarket recoil pad on a 308 and id say your son wouldnt mind it...so long as he has it tucked in his shoulder properly...train him on a 22 or pellet gun if you havent already...

or you could try the manage recoil ammo...i dont know much about it other than they are supposed to recoil less..

good luck with your son
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM

love em'!! My little sister (12yrs. old)took her 1st deer last year, a five pointer. She was using my rem 700 bdl 30-06 with reduced recoil loads from remington. She handles it great and can make quite a nice group too. I was a little nervous about her being recoil shy, so I picked a lim saver recoil pad and the reduced recoil loads and she handled them great!! She can't wait to go out next year now!

Quick Reply: Managed-Recoil Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.