Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Managed-Recoil Ammo >

Managed-Recoil Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Managed-Recoil Ammo

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Managed-Recoil Ammo

^^^That right there is exactly why they were introduced!!!^^^

Good deal!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM

I decided to look at the balistics for the managed recoil loads and the 3 you asked about are almost the exact same balistics. The 30-06 and the 308 are within 20 fps or 20 ft.lbs. at any given time. The 270 is a little less but still enough power for a deer out to 200 yards with well placed shots. I wouldntpush my shots much past 200 yards but thats as far as most people will ever shoot a deer anyways.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM

I got my wife a new remington 30-06 three years ago and immediately began to use the managed recoil rounds in it and they were great. I would not question using them at all. I would get the gun you want and never look back. There is no need to get a smaller caliber or shoot lighter loads or anything. The managed recoil rounds are good to 225 yards, the point of impact is consistant, and the bullets have good expansion.

The recoil actually is about that of a 30-30 to a.243 for any of the loads.

If he needs a smaller gun , like a model 7 or a m77 compact, then Get him a .308 and shoot managed recoil until he is big enough to handle full loads. That gun would last a lifetime.

If he is big enough for a full sized gun, either the .270 or 30-06 is fine.

The only thing to note is that the managed recoil rounds powder charge is not big enough to cycle the action of a semi-auto gun. So you are limited to bolt actions or single shots. But that is not necessarily a bad thing, just simply something to be aware of.

God bless

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Considering the fact there are so many different makes , models and barrel length what some one else feels from their gun might not mean a thing in your gun . The only way to know for sure what you have is to try it .
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Good point... the gun my wife bought was a 7400 carbine, 30-06 , blue / synth.

I shoot short light weight bolt actions , like the model 7 and the m77 compact , but also have a-bolt medallions, m77 stainless /syn. , that I have tested with and they were very comfortable shooting. Of course the smaller guns are a felt little more, but not much. Recoil is felt differently by everyone. What is harsh to me may not be to you , and vice-versa.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the info. I have decided to get him the Rem SPS in .270. He currently shoots his .243 very well and was fortunate to harvest a small buck with it last year. His maximum shot will be about 150 yards with most in the 75-100 yard range. He will start with the managed-recoil loads and use them for a year or two before moving up to full loads.

Purchasing guns for my sons is more fun than buying ones for myself. I recently purchased a Rem SPS 7mm-08 and a Leupy 3x9x40 for my 12 yr old and will now have a Rem SPS .270 with a 3x9x40 Monarch for my 11 yr old. Two excellent rifles, scopes and rounds that my sons can use for a lifetime. Bringing my sons to the range and to the woods is more fun than doing it myself. Thank for the help.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes very good choices Way!! I just bought an SPS in 7-08 and put a 3x9x40 Monarch on it as well. I have shot that mr ammo in my 270 and it grouped very well with virtually nothing for recoil so you made good choices. With the r3 pads on them recoil will be nothing. After years of hunting with the adl's...the more I look at the SPS the more I like it.

Enjoy your hunting pals!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys, its done. I bought the SPS in .270 and mounted the scope today. I picked up a box of the 115 gr managed-recoil ammo and will be heading to the range in the next couple of days. I will post my results when I have them. Thanks to all who helped.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!

There are a few cartridges that are classic, and you picked on of them:

.243 Winchester- the gun many single digithunters first call their own.

.270 Winchester- the gun that slays deer, and fights for recognition as an elk gun.

7mm Remington Magnum- perhaps the only ever "all-round" cartridge ever made.

.308 Winchester- Legendary sniper rifle.

30-06 Springfield- the one that's the Elvis of cartridges......and great military rifle.

.300 Winchester Magnum- the birth of "magnumitis"

.338 Winchester Magnum- a man's gun

.375 H&H Magnum- the definition of the African Safari

.45-70 Government- the weapon of the buffalo hunters

I'mproud to say I have the .308 Winchester as one of my rifles, and I actually never have owned a .243, and probably, never will, unless I have a little hunting buddy join me in the distant future.
I do, however, hope to have maybe a .338 Win. Mag, or some large cartridge, to join a great deer gun.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Well I brought the Rem 700 SPS .270 that I bought for my son to the range today. I started with 130 gr Rem Core lokt and was unable to shoot better than 2"-2.5". I then switched to the 115 gr Managed Recoil and was able to get slightly better accuracy about 1" lower than the 130 gr without adjusting the scope. I purchased some Hornady 130 gr SP which I will try on the next trip to the range to see if I can get more consistent accuracy. If they do shoot better, he will never know that he is aiming full loads at whitetails because all he will ever shoot at the range will be managed recoil loads.

On a side note, I also shot my older sons Rem 700 SPS 7mm-08 after adjusting the trigger. I am pleased to say that it is the most accurate weapon I own or have ever shotten. With Rem Core-lokt 140 gr, I fired 6 shots, two 3 shot groups, both solidly under 1", both at the same point of impact.

Quick Reply: Managed-Recoil Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.