HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   +P Safe in a Glock? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/191425-p-safe-glock.html)

ths78 05-14-2007 09:04 PM

+P Safe in a Glock?

Is it safe to fire +P ammon in glock pistols...9mm, 40s&w, 45acp from buffalo bore and the likes?

thanks,
ths78

paulyseggs 05-14-2007 09:49 PM

RE: +P Safe in a Glock?

yes. as long as they have a jacket, Plain naked lead causes serious problems. But +p are perfectly safe.

I'm thinking of either switching myself. Either Corbon DPX or Buffalo Bore 115 +p+

spd522 05-15-2007 12:23 AM

Probably although I would prefer changing the barrel to a fully supported one, especially in 40 cal, if I intended on shooting really hot stuff. I don't know why Glock doesn't build it right from the start. It's a simple fix for the barrel design.

metaldonnieg 05-15-2007 01:22 AM

how about the S&W SW9VE? since I've read "rumors" that it was a Glock 17 knock off...

Retaks 05-15-2007 04:40 AM

This is right off of Buffalo Bores website.

SAFETY NOTICE

“Some pistols chambered for the 40 S&W cartridge may not provide complete support of the case head. If this condition exists, normal pressure loads such as those shown here can cause the case wall to bulge or rupture at the unsupported point. Contact your firearm manufacturer to determine if your pistol completely supports the case head, or ask a gunsmith to inspect your pistol before using it with ANY ammunition. It is the gun owners responsibility to know his firearm and its capabilities and limitations.”

40 S&W WARNING

“This data is intended for use in firearms which fully support the cartridge in the chamber. Use of this data in firearms which do not fully support the cartridge may result in bulged cases, ruptured cases, case head separation, or other conditions which may result in damage to the firearm and/or result in injury or death of the shooter or bystanders.”

Glock happens to chamber their 40 S&W pistols without a fully supported chamber and both of those above safety notices are likely aimed at Glock. I know of no other 40 S&W handguns being sold in the US that don’t have fully supported chambers. If you really want to shoot our 40S&W ammo in your Glock, have an after market barrel that uses a supported chamber, dropped into it. This is a fairly common practice and will give you the safety margin needed to fire our ammo in your Glock. It will also likely give you more velocity that the factory Glock barrel. I personally own two Glock Model 23’s. Both of mine are going to get after market barrels dropped in so that I can use this excellent ammo in them.

I asked my gunsmith for +P 40 S&W ammo and he told me specifaccly not to use it.He has seen 3 guns himself that were shot using hot loaded(+P) ammo and it really messed them up.He had one it destroyed the whole pistol and 2 that needed barrels. He has also herd of a few problems with other pistols shooting +P ammo. They are not made to hold the pressure and can/will cause major problems when shooting them.