HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/191250-7mm-rem-mag-dieing.html)

schoolcraft 05-12-2007 01:10 PM

Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

I was talking to owner of one of my local gun shops the other day and we got to talking about how I was trying to decide on the caliber of the next rifle I'm going to buy.
He said something that kinda' caught me off guard. He said, in his eyes, the great 7mm. Rem. Mag. was a dieing caliber.
His point was that so many hunters are going to opposite ends of the spectrum in caliber selection for hunting. He said that he's selling lots of calibers like the .243, LOTS of the .25-06, and as always a steady number of .270's and .30-06's.
He said that there also seems to another "category" of deer hunters he's selling to. The come in wanting the7mm. Ultra Mag, .300 Win. Mag., .300 Ultra Mag. and the like.
He was saying that he had really like the 7mm. Rem Mag for deer/bear/elk hunting but he said his sales of that caliber were going through the floor.

Just wondering what you folks thought. I do see his point, but I also know quite a few guys that swear by their "7 MAG".
What do ya' think? Is the "7 MAG" here to stay or going away?

Schoolcraft

HEAD0001 05-12-2007 01:25 PM

RE: Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

The 7mm was one of the first sub 30 Whiz Bang Magnums. They were normally sold to the guy who wanted the next best thing. The ammo was always over priced. If you do not mind the recoil, then why go to a 7mm. It was always oneof the good flat shooting deer cartridges(some professionals feel it is a bit light for elk), but now there are too many other choices. So the answer is YES, I believe it is on it's way out. Tom.

Doe Dumper 05-12-2007 01:44 PM

I dont think its dying. I doubt it ever will..theres legions of 7mag fans out there. Its not my fav butit is for plenty of others. I have one and just dont care for the recoil.

stubblejumper 05-12-2007 02:18 PM

The 7mmremmag is still one of the best selling cartridges in my area.In fact the last 4 rifles bought by the people that I hunt with,were all 7mmremags.The 7mmwsm is not selling at all though.Then again,I live in an area where the primary game for most people is moose,and even our deer are much larger than in many locations.

frizzellr 05-12-2007 05:05 PM

I don't think it is dying or that it ever will. The shooting populus is a fickle lot when it comes to cartridge selection. You either have those wanting the latest and greatest, or wanting what Dad or Grandpa said was the best. I myself go through different cartridges at times but I always have my old standbys in the safe to fall back on. I have never been a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag, but it does have its merits and I am sure it has developed enough of a following that the circle will come back around. The older shooters will start shooting them again and the new generation will want to try them out. I would venture to say that the 243 Win, 25-06 Rem, 270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Win, 30-30 Win, 30-06 Sprnfld will always have a following along with some that I have forgotten to add.

redhead522 05-12-2007 06:14 PM

To me the 7mm mag is like the 280. It is a very versatile cartridge but may get overlooked.

eldeguello 05-12-2007 07:37 PM

Is the 7mm. Rem. Mag dieing?

I doubt it. As far as I know, the 7 Mag. is still in the top ten most popular reloading dies being sold each year.

stalkingbear 05-12-2007 07:38 PM

The 7mm remington magnum is dying the same way .22lr,.270,and 30-06 is dying. All you have to do is look at reloading equipment(dies)/and or componets sales in thatcartridge/caliber. It is too good and too well entrenched to be kicked out of the race.

eldeguello 05-12-2007 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001
So the answer is YES, I believe it is on it's way out. Tom.
People were saying the same thing about the .30/'06 50 YEARS AGO!

It ain't left yet, either.

James B 05-12-2007 09:31 PM

I don';t really know but one thing is for sure, There are tons of used ones in every gun store in our area. The 300 WSM has cut into its sales in a big way according to the local gun stores. I have had five of them but will never own another.