Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger vs Savage >

Ruger vs Savage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger vs Savage

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Ruger vs Savage

Here pretty quick I am going to purchase a new rifle. Seems as though the price of guns just keep climbing so I figure I should get what I want while I have the cash to invest in the rifle. I have narrowed it down to two rifles. One isa savage with bull barrel and accu trigger. I here these guns are super accurate, but they don't look all that well. Wish they made one in the classic edition. The Ruger has the looks of the gun I really want and does not come with a bull barrel. Which is fine with me. The caliber I want is a 17. So I am looking for responses here about both guns so I can make an informed decision.

Chief
Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Default RE: Ruger vs Savage

If you are talking about a 17HMR I would get the Savage or a Marlin instead of a Ruger. They have a better track record as far as accuracy out of the box goes. And Savage makes some pretty nice 17's if you want to spend the extra money.

I have a plain jane savage 17HMR with the bull barrel, and no accu trigger and I am very happy with it. It will shoot at least MOA on a calm day and it's not even broken in yet. I only paid $200 for it before the scope.

The Rugers do feel more like a "real" rifle though instead of a rimfire. But some of the nicer savages are pretty darn nice as well.

Paul
Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM

My brother told me everyone he has talked to says to make sure to get a bull barrel. He says that everyone he has talked to says that the bull barrel makes a huge difference in accuracy. The savage is a lot cheaper and comes with the bull barrel so thats what I am leaning towards. Any ideas or opinions on this? What scope should I put on it??

Chief
Old 05-10-2007, 09:04 PM

Savage is a sweet shooter but if HMR then lay the money on a Marlin 917VS and it'll be hard to be dissappointed.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 AM

I like the bull barrel because, well, it looks cool[]. And it adds some weight, which I like. In my opinion it really isn't needed with a 17 HMR unless you are going to shoot a lot, fast. I don't believe the 17 rimfire generates enough heat to really warant a bigger barrel like that.

I have heard of some of the sporter barrels shooting just as well. But if you are going to get one you might as well get the bull barrel, it can't hurt. Unless you are going to carry it around a lot, then maybe I would opt for a synthetic stocked sporter barrel. Much lighter to carry, and they have nearly no recoil so that won't matter.

As far as a scope, that depends on your budget, what you want to do with the gun and what you like. My gun is a $200 plain jane savage with a $400 20 power mil dot scope on it. Most expensive scope I own is on the cheapest gun I own, go figure. After trying several I felt this gun warranted the better scope, it's just that accurate at 100 yards and beyond.

I personally wouldn't waste money on the new scopes that correct for range, like the Sweet 17 and others like it. You just don't need it for this gun. It shoots plenty flat out to the ranges it's effective. Spend the money on better glass in my opinion, you will be glad you did.

I have an Alaskan Guide model from cabela's on mine. It's a 6.5-20x44 with adjustable objective, mil dot reticle and quick detach mounts.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Paul
Old 05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey chief,glad to see you are feeling better! Get the ruger and you won't be sorry. There's so much you can do to make em shoot better there's no comparsion.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Or you could get a CZ. I am not really ready to buy one right now, but trying to figure out which one I want.

You can read for hours over on rimfirecentral.com about all the different options.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Or you could spend half the money and not have to do anything to it.

The Rugers may have improved, I don't know I don't own one and don't hang out at Rimfirecentral much anymore. However a few years ago they were a crap shoot as far as accuracy went out of the box.

As far as fit and finish and a quality feel the rugers are the better gun though. The CZ's are pretty nice too. I looked at a ruger when I got my savage. When I saw the price I changed my mine. I just couldn't see paying that much for a rimfire. I'm happy I didn't now.

Paul
Old 05-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the savage but that is only personal opinion. I have never had any mechanical difficulties with the savages I've owned. They are also pretty darn accurate.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:53 AM

I'm a ruger fan, but in your case, I would go with the Savage. Some say form or function, but you can't be the accuracy of a Savage for the price.

Quick Reply: Ruger vs Savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.