HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rifle Basix (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/190850-rifle-basix.html)

bigpapa 05-08-2007 07:58 AM

Rifle Basix

I'm thinking about putting either a Rifle Basix or Timney Trigger in my M77MkII. Has anyone had any experience with either of these brands? Can they be done at home or will I need to have a gunsmith put it in for me?

statjunk 05-08-2007 08:02 AM

RE: Rifle Basix

I have a Timney in my Ruger Mark II. I didn't even try to do it myself after I was told it could be a little tricky. I'm also not the most mechanically inclined.

I have to say that I really like the trigger. Zero travel and very crisp. The only trigger I like better than that is the trigger on my 7.5x55.

Tom

Pawildman 05-08-2007 08:45 AM

I put a Rifle Basix in my 700 CDL with no problems. If you are comfortable with doing it yourself, have at it. They come with good directions. I like the trigger, and so have others who have tried it. If you don't feel comfortable attempting this type of work, a gunsmith or other experienced stock bedders or the like should be able to do it for you.

bigpapa 05-08-2007 11:42 AM

I can't see where it would be that difficult to do. However, that being said. I'm not sure I want to be grinding on a trigger. I checked my local shop and they said around $150 to buy it and have it done. That seems like a lot to me.

pahntr760 05-08-2007 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bigpapa

I can't see where it would be that difficult to do. However, that being said. I'm not sure I want to be grinding on a trigger. I checked my local shop and they said around $150 to buy it and have it done. That seems like a lot to me.

not really when you consider the trigger is approx. $100 anyways. Plus any decent gunsmith will stand behind his work.

stalkingbear 05-08-2007 04:25 PM

I've done a bunch of mk2 triggers and you can get a great trigger using just factory parts. Holler at me and I'll give ya detailed info on how to do it.

Hairtrigger 05-09-2007 05:51 AM

I picked up a Rifle Basix trigger for my Ruger MK2 at Cabelas in the bargain cave for $40.
They are easy to install and adjust. The trigger comes with detailed instructions. There are also very good instructions on the internet on how to adjust/modify the factory trigger costing only labor.

bigpapa 05-10-2007 09:53 AM

I looked up the instructions on line and it seemed pretty straight forward. I just don't want a situation where I have to go grinding away at a $90 "drop in" trigger with a dremel and I sure as hell ain't gonna' to do so on my new gun.

spd522 05-15-2007 01:04 AM

I put a Timmney in Ruger M77 and a Rifle Basix in a Marlin 917V. I did have to fit the stock a bit with the Timmney/Ruger. The Timmney offered more adjustment and was crisper. The Rifle Basix was lighter. Both worked fine. The Ruger was a 7 mm Mag for hunting and the Marlin a .17 Mach 2 for P-dogs and fun. The Ruger factory trigger really sucked so the new trigger was needed. However, the Ruger still didn't shoot accurate enough for me to be worth keeping so it got sold. The Marlin was very accurate, even with the factory trigger so the RB trigger really made it slick.

Neither was that difficult to install but I have done trigger jobson many of my other guns in the past. So I wasn't a first timer either.