Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best reloading manual? >

Best reloading manual?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best reloading manual?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Best reloading manual?

For a first-time reloader, what reloading manual would you guys recommend? I'd prefer something that has good step by step reloading instructions for when I'm just getting started.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best reloading manual?

I reccomend sierra manual+infinity softwear both on same disk.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I first learned from Speer and than Nosler.....
But after taking this book out from the Public Library,
I Purchased it, soon after.........
My Vote goes to..........
ABC's of Reloading.....
Can't remember who the author is, but it is the simplist manual and quickest
to learn from...
I just googled it, its by C. Rodney James.....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

For instruction, you can't beat Speer, but data sucks, and I rarely use speer bullets. For content, the Nosler manual is best.

Sierra's data is all over the place due to they don't use pressure barrels but regular guns. Barnes can get you in trouble, some of thier loads can get you over pressure.

Lymans is another pretty good instructional book but data can be flakey.

Go with the Nosler would be my recommendation.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Sierra gets my vote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only reloading manual I wouldn’t suggest to use is the Barnes. They have come up with some pretty innovative bullets but as for their manual, that’s an other issue...
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....The only reloading manual I wouldn’t suggest to use is the Barnes. They have come up with some pretty innovative bullets but as for their manual, that’s an other issue...."
I was just going to say that after you had mastered your basic first time manual and were ready to move upfrom lead bullets to monolithics, then go to Barnes bullets and Barnes manual --- you can't use the data with other bullets but once you've made the step up it is hard to go back, especially for performance on live game targets.

I find Barnestends not to limit themselves to old time SAAMI/lawyer minimums as many other manuals seem to do, they are out for performance.... my kinda folks.

Their load data for the 416 Rigby allows it to approach that for the 416 Weatherby Magnum while most other manualskeep it sandbagged down at the 1911 performance specs. Barnes also tends to have load data for many cartridges outside of the deer patch mainstream, and of course I kinda like that.
================================================== =

In terms of a basic manual to start, I don't find any of the "bullet company manuals" to be as robust and detailed as they should be for someone just starting who is going to have "all those minutia (but important) questions." IMHO, get one for load data according to your bullet of choice (Nosler for lead based bullets for me) and then get one manual for the detailed pix and words and diagrams for the "how to do it/what to watch for/troubleshooting" instructional info; "how to" reloading videos can be helpful --- Tubbs (and Sierra?) have one out that I thought was decent.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bunch! The one that get's the most use is the Sierra...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Hornady book has step by step instructions
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Figure out what bullets your going to use then buy their manual for data, I dont really know of any one manual that is better for learning to reload though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Best reloading manual?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.