Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 guage for a lefty >

12 guage for a lefty

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 guage for a lefty

Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 12 guage for a lefty

My son has been using my old Ithica for the last few years for he is left handed and it is a bottem eject. The rest of my shot guns are right hand pump action except for my Berretta over/under which I use for upland game. Now that he has his first part time job, he is looking to buy his first shot gun. We have been looking around but have been unable to find a left hand eject pump action. The shot gun will mostly be used for goose hunting so we are looking for something with a 28 in. barrel in pump action. The closest so far is a Browning with a bottem eject for around $650 (around the top of his price range for the shotgun is only one on his list of many items....OFF TOPIC
Old 05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 12 guage for a lefty

Unless someone is trying to get rich,the browning bps shotguns ain't that high. Ithca is back in business and deserves a look.I've paid $500 for even the 10 gauge versions before in bps.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. I don't think he would be disappointed with the Browning by any stretch of an imagination.

2. Paying what may seem a premium amountNOW for the Browning will be money WELL SPENT for a lifetime of enjoyment.

3. Off Topic
Old 05-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion... You don't need a lefty 12GA. Then again, if it were a semi-auto (like Remington 1100), then yeah, you might want to check into it. But an 870 pump gun doesn't have to be lefty. I shoot lefty and have all my stuff right handed (except my Reflex Highlander compound bow - that I had to get lefty!)

Even my brand new/used Savage 110 .308 rifle (seen a few theads below) is a righty bolt action. It makes no difference whatsoever. I shot my dad's old bolt action rifle lefty for years and years when I was a kid. I learned to compensate, that's all. My dad taught me how...

My Marlin 30-30 is righty... My Remington 870 12GA is righty... Again, it's no big deal.... Now with my old boyhood Marlin model 60 .22 rifle (semi-auto), okay yeah, I remember shooting it as a kid and having my dad teach me to keep my right elbow tucked down a bit, so the ejecting shell would sail over my right arm and not biff me.

Quote from a guy in a gunshop (sorry if this comes across as arrogant,rude, or just asinine....) "You lefties can get by with a righty gun. Either that or learn to shoot righty. Let me tell you this - iflefties went out and got a lefty gun, that's fine... But when the day comes that you want to sell it, you ain't gonna get squat for it. 'Cause it's lefty and ain't nobody else gonna want it. The resale value is gonna be next to nothing."

Honest, this is what I heard, however ridiculous is sounds. Maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesn't. It came about after I told the guy the story of me back in the late 70's in USCG bootcamp, failing to qualify on the M-16 rifle at the range. I sat there like, "Sir, I shoot lefty, Sir!!!!" After trying it again with an eye patch on my left eye, I still failed to qualify. After being called every name in the book, and getting threatened, they decided to clip on alittle shroud thing on the M-16, handed it back to me and I shot lefty. BAM!!! Qualified sharpshooter!

Long story short... If a true lefty gun is what you want, that's fine... But just keep in mind that you don't really HAVE TO go out and get one. You can shoot a righty gun and have no problems at all.

.....Just my .02 cents.

Butch A.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure I agree, "You don't have to", but that really isn't the issue. I can't say that when I've purchased a gun it has been "have to". It's been more of a want than a need. Even though hunting is a lifestyle for our family, it still isa want and not a need. The gun we were looking at is the Browning BPS, which is approx. $600 plus taxes up here in Canada. He would also like his new gun to be able to accept a 3 in. shell for the Ithica that he is using is a 2 3/4. He is also welcome to use one of my 870's butI suppose if he is willing to spend the money for a new gun then why accept something that he doesn't want (that being a right hand eject). I was just asking if anyone knew of a left handedeject 12 g.for it has been something I personally have never shopped for.Yes, the Browning is a nice piece that I know he will have it for a long time and I think it would be a good choice. What do you think?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:26 PM

If he can scrape up the money get the BPS and don't look back. Probably one of the best pump guns on the market right now. It's what the Wingmaster USED to be. They cost more, but they are nicer guns, and the bottom eject is a bit more intricate so that probably ups the price as well.

The only other option I could think of would be a mossberg because they have the safety on the top and it would be easier for him to work. There is a big difference in quality between a BPS and Mossberg 500. That might be why one is twice as much money.

Nothing wrong with the mossberg though, I had one and it worked just fine. But it ain't no Browning!

I don't have a pump right now, and if I get another I will wait until I can afford a BPS.

Paul
Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

For what ya want,the browning bps is gunna be almost impossible to beat all around. That's just MY opinion.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

From my limited knowlaedge of shotguns and from what i found searching for mine, (I'm a lefty) there is no left ejecting pump. It is either right or buttom for the pumps. Once you get into the autos, then there are a few that make them for us lefties.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

As another southpaw I can't recommend the BPS highly enough. I have had mine for over 10 years and I like it more every time I shoot it.

The bottom load/eject port is a bit funky if you are trying to drop a single shell into the chamber, however mine has been completely trouble free and accurate for thousands of rounds.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 AM

I have a 12 g browning bps and i paid $350 brand new. i wouldnt recommend the synthetic stock. MY brother had one and it rusted out after about 2 years. and Browning wouldnt warranty it.And he takes good care of all his guns. he is a gun collector.i would just stick with a base model. i have put mine through everything and it has lasted me forever and never failed me.

Quick Reply: 12 guage for a lefty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.