Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ButchA's new rifle!!!!! >

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Great buy!!!! I have two identical Savages chambered in .270 and 7 mm mag. I look at the picture you posted andalmost had to check my gun safe to see if one was missing. Iswapped out the 3x9x32 scopes the guns came with, for 3x9x40 Nikon Buckmasters. I used Kwik-Site scope mounts to allow for the 40mm objective. Even though the 110 is reletively inexpensive they have always been accurate and reliable (and I use them at -30 temps.).I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new purchase. Reach out and touch them at 300 plus yards.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great plan!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: bigpapa

This thread is about to go south really fast. Nicon has better clarity than Leupold imo. Buckmaster or Prostaff. Buckmaster $200 Prostaff $150. Take your time on this one dude. Look through all the glass you can (outside of the store). Take your old scope with you to compare too. Don't get into the bells and whistles of 50mm's or AO's just get a good 3x9x40 (I learned that the hard way). There'sa reason everyone uses them.Honestly, sit down and figure what your budget will allow. Give about $20 wiggle room and then look and find the scope that makes you happy. As for eye relief... any scope will probably do as well or as better than what you have.
I will second that post word for word!

And from what I have seen and been reading lately the only great thing about the VX I's is the waranty. Better optics can be had for less money from what I have seen. Not that they suck by any means though.

Nikon and Bushnell elites seem to be pretty decent for the money right now. From what I have seen the Cabela's Alaskan Guide scopes are pretty decent as well. That is what I have on my 17HMR and I am very happy with it.

Paul
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Great buy!!!! I have two identical Savages chambered in .270 and 7 mm mag. I look at the picture you posted andalmost had to check my gun safe to see if one was missing.
LOL!!! Nope... Mine was sitting there in a used gun rack at a store, waiting for me to discover it.

Iswapped out the 3x9x32 scopes the guns came with, for 3x9x40 Nikon Buckmasters. I used Kwik-Site scope mounts to allow for the 40mm objective. Even though the 110 is reletively inexpensive they have always been accurate and reliable (and I use them at -30 temps.).I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new purchase. Reach out and touch them at 300 plus yards.
Thanks... Yeah, from what I have read so far, the best bang for buck appears to be the Nikon scopes. I have never checked a Nikon before, but have only seen Bushnell, Simmons, andTasco (trash-co ) and an unbelievably cheap BSA scope at Wally World.

Butch A.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new rifle! I am sure you will enjoy it. As for scopes I prefer Leupold and Nikon. SWFA sells the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 for $218.95. I really like the Monarch line and am really impressed with mine. The Monarch is a lot of scope for the money. Conrats again and good luck in your quest for a new scope!!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I found out some pretty cool info on my new/used Savage. I called their 1-800 number and asked them to research my serial # and see if they can tell me whatever they can.

Savage model 110, chambered in .308 --- Serial: F7##### (translates to Sept 1997). Rifle was the last of the "J" series that they made for years and years and years. It's long action, but yet a short caliber. Deep inside underneath the bolt, behind the internal magazine box, is ametal block. Curiously, I removed the bolt and peered around inside with a mag-light. Sure enough, there is a blocking device down deep inside the stock. .....Interesting.

From what I understand, the Savage 110 was made for 40-something years. In 1998, they tried revising it (didn't go too well), as their "2nd Generation models" sucked and almost brought the company to bankruptcy. In 2003, they rebounded with the current "3rd Generation models", the Savage 10GXP, 11F, 11G, 14 Classic (short action Accu-trigger models), and the 110GCNS, 111F, 114 Classic, etc.. (long action Accu-trigger models), which are currently ongun racks instores today.

Regarding my serial# and the cheap Simmons scope, Savage said that the 3-9x32's came with them as a package and sold to Wal-Mart.
I have a Wally World Savage 110?!? [:-]

Butch A.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM

you got a great deal is what you got. Wonder what they sold for new?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Nikon Prostaff will serve you well. IF you want to spend more you can step up, but in my opinion it is not necessary.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

you got a great deal is what you got. Wonder what they sold for new?
Savage's have always been good values. I would venture to say they were probably $300 give or take a few dollars 10 years ago.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a site that has brand new "package" guns by Savage.

Today's version of the Savage 110 (now in long action, .30-06, .270, etc...)
http://www.impactguns.com/store/savage_package_110_series.html

Today's version of the Savage 110 (now in short action, .243, .308, 7mm-08, etc...)
http://www.impactguns.com/store/savage_package_10_series.html

.....And, here's is my actual rifle in today's day and age:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-78596.html

Butch A.

Quick Reply: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.