Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ButchA's new rifle!!!!! >

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Way to go Butch! I'm sure you made a great choice. Like I said in the other thread, find the gun that you just can't go to sleep without thinking about. The gun that makes YOU say ahhhhhh and it will be perfect. It's alwaysfun to get a new rifle. AND you got it from a local gun shop. Congrats on that. Get a good relationship with them and you can't loose. Now....Loose that crap scope, visit the optics forum for a day or so, and get one that will turn that "safe queen" into a tack driver. You'll be surprised at how inexpensive a quality scope can be. Again congratulations.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, bigpapa....

I've been talking to a good friend of mine about it too, and he agreed about the scope. But told me to somehow get measured for eye relief, because of how the Savage 110 is setup now. It's PERFECT. I close my eyes, shoulder the rifle, open my eyes, and I'm looking squarely down the scope without any dark "rings" or off center shadows at all around the scope's image in the eyepiece.

My friend also told me that (in his opinion) it is always best to take the price of the rifle, divide it in half. That figure should be the cost of a scope for it, or perhaps a starting point if you want something very well made and top quality. He said to never, never, NEVER put something like BSA or Tasco (Trash-co<---his words )on a rifle.

The Simmons 3-9x32 scope doesn't even have a name. It just says "21017 - Made in China" on the underside. I can't even find that model anymore! [&:]

Anyway, taking the advice from my friend on scopes, let's do some math:

Savage 110 .308 rifle: $349.95 / 2 (divide by two)
...............................==========
...............................$174.98.......(price of a very good quality scope)

Butch A.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

[img]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1948_85186395" width=45 border=0>

Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm Rifle Scope w/ FREE UPS

Regular price: $274.99
Sale price: $219.99
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

OMG.... A Leupold for a hair over $200 bucks?!?! You gotta be kidding me!!!

I thought Leupolds were like Swarovsky and were like $600 bucks and up!

Butch A.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 AM

I have never gone by the twice what you paid for the gun, at least what you paid for the gun or half what you paid for the gun rules. And I have heard them all three ways with variations. That is a completely unscientific way to pic a scope and just ignorant in my opinion. Pick a scope that looks good to you and fits your budget, period. There are several excellent 3-9 scopes in the $200 range that will serve you quite well for years and years.

My Savage cost me $150 When I bought it. Does that mean I didn't need to spend more than 75 bucks for the scope? Yet my step fathers remington was 600 bucks. They were the same caliber and shot the same bullets, yet he needed a 300 dollar scope for that gun? I don't see the sense in that myself. My gun actually had a 30 some dollar bushnell on it and it worked fine, it's still on the gun as a matter of fact. At least last time I saw it. Would I suggest that scope for a 30-06 if you could afford better? NO, but I was young and it worked. Then again you don't NEED a $700 leupold either. No one I know hunts with a scope that expensive and they don't seem to have any trouble killing deer year after year.

My 17HMR only cost me $200 and it has a $400 varmint scope on it though. However I felt the gun warranted that good of scope for what I was going to do with it. It's hard to get a cheap high powered scope with decent optics.

My slug gun (H&R ultra) has a mid priced bushnell on it. If you think your savage 30-06 kicks come take my slug gun with winchester platinum tips for test drive.

And some of the higher end BSA are not too bad for the money, but you are getting into the $200 range there and you could get better for the same money in my opinion. My Remington 700ML inline had a BSA Catseye on it for 4 years until I gave the scope to a friend. I had no problems with it and optically it looked just as good as my buddies Aetec.

If I had the money every gun I own would have a Conquest on it, but I don't have that sort of cash.

Sorry for the rant, it just gets me going when hear that kind of stuff. It just makes no logical sense to me.

Paul
Old 05-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have never gone by the twice what you paid for the gun, at least what you paid for the gun or half what you paid for the gun rules. And I have heard them all three ways with variations. That is a completely unscientific way to pic a scope and just ignorant in my opinion.

My slug gun (H&R ultra) has a mid priced bushnell on it. If you think your savage 30-06 kicks come take my slug gun with winchester platinum tips for test drive.

Paul
I agree 100% us Pauls are smart fellas!!

Paul I use those in my 870, I cheat when I sight in though. I got a sissy bag.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

ButchA the sales that are going on now are hard to beat. Either a leupold like shown above or the Burris Fullview II. BUT I wouldn't go over 3x9. it's unneeded. I don't think I ever go higher than 4 unless I'm plinkin. Which even then you can say, "Well it's easier to sight in when I have it on 14x" but it's added weight, your not humpin your can all over the woods when your sittin on the bench. If you like the way the scope fits you now, I would get the exact same size just better quality.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

This thread is about to go south really fast. Nicon has better clarity than Leupold imo. Buckmaster or Prostaff. Buckmaster $200 Prostaff $150. Take your time on this one dude. Look through all the glass you can (outside of the store). Take your old scope with you to compare too. Don't get into the bells and whistles of 50mm's or AO's just get a good 3x9x40 (I learned that the hard way). There'sa reason everyone uses them.Honestly, sit down and figure what your budget will allow. Give about $20 wiggle room and then look and find the scope that makes you happy. As for eye relief... any scope will probably do as well or as better than what you have.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put a nice Leupold orNikon on it and pretty soon your 30-30 will be spending more time in the safe.

Not too long ago, Midway had Nikon Monarch scopes on for $229 for the 3-9x40's. If I had a rifle that needed a good scope, that is what I would put on it.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.... I have some time to really read up on scopes in all the various flavors. I plan on hanging onto this new/used Savage 110, just like how I am with the old Marlin .30-30 -- you'll never pry it from my hands!

So far, here's what I am thinking:

Marlin .30-30: Keep it classic, traditional, w/open sights. Keep using in real heavy woods and brush/thickets in the Nat'l Forest. Keep it simple, lightweight, and able to crack off a shot < 50 yards when someone bumps a deer to you.

Savage 110 .308: Buy a better scope, first and foremost. Use it when not goinginto the heavy woods and brush. Use it from a Summit treestand overlooking the field. Basically use it anywhere beyond the comfort range of the open sighted .30-30.

Butch A.

Quick Reply: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.