HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   New England Firearms? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/190396-new-england-firearms.html)

npaden 05-03-2007 11:03 AM

New England Firearms?

Saw an ad in the local paper for a nearly new New England Firearms single shot .243 Handi Rifle for sale. Synthetic stock and blue.

They are asking $250 for it with a crappy 3-9x 40mm BSA scope.

I've never heard of a New England Firearms brand. Is this a good gun or not?

I'm been thinking about a smaller varmint type gun.

Thanks, Nathan

etothepii 05-03-2007 11:06 AM

RE: New England Firearms?

You can order a new one through Wlamart for around $200, then get your own scope.

Rebel Hog 05-03-2007 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: npaden

Saw an ad in the local paper for a nearly new New England Firearms single shot .243 Handi Rifle for sale. Synthetic stock and blue.

They are asking $250 for it with a crappy 3-9x 40mm BSA scope.

I've never heard of a New England Firearms brand. Is this a good gun or not?

I'm been thinking about a smaller varmint type gun.

Thanks, Nathan
GunsAmerica - Search

TWOLVES26 05-03-2007 11:37 AM

I had aNEF single shot12ga for about 12 years that was a great gun. I sold it because Igot an 870 Express a few years back.

npaden 05-03-2007 12:01 PM

Okay thanks. Sounds like it isn't the deal of a lifetime by any means.

I think I'll pass on it.

Thanks again.

Nathan

Paul L Mohr 05-03-2007 03:50 PM

NEF and H&R are the same guns. They are good guns for the money. That price is a bit high for a used gun to me. At least in my area. You can get a new one in a gun store for that price.

I have heard these guns have issues in that caliber as well. I believe it was something about the shells ejecting? I think the shells would stick in the chamber after the shot sometimes. Accuracy was good, just problems ejecting. I think it was a pretty simple fix though.

I would highly suggest a NEF handy rifle, but not that one for that price. You could also get a Stevens bolt action which is made by Savage for around the same price I think.

Paul

ShatoDavis 05-04-2007 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have heard these guns have issues in that caliber as well. I believe it was something about the shells ejecting? I think the shells would stick in the chamber after the shot sometimes. Accuracy was good, just problems ejecting. I think it was a pretty simple fix though.

What might that fix be? I have one that I bought for my youngest. Its a youth model in 243. I've loaded some reduced recoil ammo for him and didn't have any probs. Then i shot some factory ammo through it to make brass basically. had 5 stick in the chamber out of a box of 20. Had to knock them out with a cleaning rod. Funny thing is that they weren't stuck. it took very little pressure to push them out. I've been very perplexed by this problem ever since.

Paul L Mohr 05-04-2007 01:54 PM

Go to this site, they can help you out with any questions you have. I am not going to say for sure the fix is easy, or that there is one for sure. I just thought I remembered reading something about it. I don't own a centerfire but was thinking about getting one in that caliber and was warned of this problem.

Greabeard Outdoors forum

About half way down there is a section dedicated to H&R/NEF. Look in the Centerfire rifle section. You can search for it, or just ask someone.

I currently own a H&R ultra slug hunter deluxe and am happy with it.

Paul

cr422 05-04-2007 04:12 PM

They are excellent guns and EXTREMELY accurate. But that price is too high for a used one. You can get a new one for less.

By the way, I have three of them.

James B 05-05-2007 08:25 PM

I have had and still have quite a few Handi Rifles. They have all been pretty good except for the 243. I had two of them and sticking cases was a constant problem. Probably half of all the shot ended up with a stuck case. I gave up on the 243 in the H7R/NEF rifles. All other calibers have worked well for me. The ones with rimmed cases work the best. 30-30 357, 44 Mag, 45-70 and 22 Hornet. I also have a 35 Whelen, 308, 45 Long colt and 280 Rem.