Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barrel break in with Bore Snake >

Barrel break in with Bore Snake

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel break in with Bore Snake

Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Barrel break in with Bore Snake

I'm taking my rifle to the range to sight/break it in today. Instead of doing the 1 shot Brush Brush Scrubb Scrubb thing I'm planning on using a Bore Snake to do the job. From what I've read these things are fantastic and should aleviate a ton of work + do the job well. I'm planning on 1 shot 2 passes with the snake for the 1st5 shots then3 shots 1 pass with the snake for the next what ever rounds.

Has anyone else done this or am I charting new ground here? lol

Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Barrel break in with Bore Snake

Ive never herd of anyone using a boresnake for that. I personally dont break any of my rifles in by shooting a shot the cleaning. I dont think it makes a difference on how accurate a gun is by breaking in a gun that way. I always clean my centerfire rifles every 20-40 rounds and my rimfire every 100-150 rounds. I have atleast 2 centerfire rifles i know are capable of sub-moa groups and i think my 17 HMR will shoot sub-moa if i find the right ammo.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM
bigcountry

If you use a bore snake, no way of knowing if you got out the copper or not. You have to use chemicals to see if there is copper in the barrel or not.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I like to use the bore snake at the range to clean the bore, I can’t see how this will remove the copper without any chemicals as previously mentioned...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to qualify this with, "I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night"

I don't believe that a bore snake comes close at all to a using a rod, brush and patches. I don't see how it could.

Tom
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'm with retaks. I think it's a bunch of horse crap. I get a new rifle, I clean and lube. shoot the crap outta it. clean and lube. shoot the crap outta it. Personally I can't shoot good enough to justify babying something that "might" give me a quarter inch here or there. My theory is spend more time shooting the actual rifle and less time messing with crap.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use the bore snake at the range. If need be I use bore cleaning solvent on the snake. IMO you can do more harm using a rod in the wrong way than not using one at all. I clean my rifles with solvent and stuff about every tenth time.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

I couldn't handle the thought of not doing everything I could to make my rifle shoot it's best so I just useda method I read hear:
Precision Shooting Magazine Barrel Break In Procedure:[/b]
STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)[/b]
1. Fire one round.
2. Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore.
3. Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction).
4. Push dry patches through the bore (2 times).
5. Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore.
6. Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction).
7. Push dry patches through the bore (2 times).
8. Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore.
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)[/b]
1. Fire a 3 shot group.
2. Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group.
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)[/b]
1. Fire a 5 shot group.
2. Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1.
They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.[/b]
I was shocked to see all of the crap that came out of the barrel after each shot. Needless to say I only got 5 shot's off yeasterday and so will be going back to finish step 1 but I actually found it enjoyable to shoot and then clean my rifle over and over. I don't want to sound strange or nothing but...if nothing else it was a bonding experience. Meaning taking that much time and care has made me appreciate my rifle so much more.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Ok BigPapa, So your saying that my 204 can shoot better then what it already is if i would have broke it in like you do? I have a 5 shot group at 100 yards that is at 1/2in only because i pulled on one of the shots the other 4 are in 1/4in. I also have a 10 shot group right around 1in at 200 yards with a 10mph wind. This is all with the first box of ammo i put through it. He only had one box in stock. IM going to try different brands and weights to see if i get better results.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you guys are missing the point of breaking in a new barrel. The reason for breaking in a new barrel is not to increase accruacy although indirectly it does. Tell you why in a sec. What the 'breaking in' does is remove minute burrs in the rifling from the manufacturing process. Shooting 1 shot and cleaning for the first 10 shots, then every three shots for the next 30 is in essence lapping the bore to remove these minute burrs.
The reasoning behind this is to allow for easier quicker cleaning of fouling and copper deposits that can get trapped by these tiny burrs in the rifling. How does it increase accuracy? Over time the copper fouling getting trapped by the burrs will decrease accuracy. So, you won't notice a difference in accuracy for a while down the road depending on how much you shoot and your rifle will take more patches to properly clean it to remove all the copper fouling. And if enough fouling becomes embedded in the rifling you may have to lap the barrel with something like JB compound in the future.
Not breaking in your barrel is your perogative. But IMO it is a smart thing to do. Its your investment.

Quick Reply: Barrel break in with Bore Snake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.