HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Tactical Turkey Shotguns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/189978-tactical-turkey-shotguns.html)

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-29-2007 03:35 PM

Tactical Turkey Shotguns

Presently I'm using a Mossberg 835 about 10 years oldand there isn't anything wrong/bad I would say about it. I was thinking of getting a new turkey shotgun this summer and I boiled it down to two. They are both the tactical versions, either the Mossberg tactical 835, or the Remington tactical 870. The Mossberg comes ina 20" barrel versus the Remington with a 24" barrel, the Mossberg is roughly $100 cheaper

Retaks 04-29-2007 04:49 PM

RE: Tactical Turkey Shotguns

I would get the Mossberg but thats my opinion. They are both good guns but i like the shorter barrel.

mauser06 04-29-2007 05:57 PM

the beef i got with the mossberg it the saftey..it would make reaching for it difficult while holding the pistol grip. atleast it seems like it would to me.

im putting a collapsable stock on my 870...

i actually wish i would have pattented the camo collapsable stock idea...i thought of it long before they were in production. i said dang that would make an AWESOME stock on a turkey gun! about a year later they came out[:@]

the 870 you have in mind also incorrporates a recoil buffer IN the stock...like an M16...which will help with stiff turkey loads if that matters at all

both are good guns...if i bought a new turkey gun though it would be the remington...

retrieverman 04-29-2007 08:20 PM

Since you are a current Mossberg owner, I hate to bash them, but I am not a fan of Mossberg shotguns. I would buy the 870.

Maine Shooter 04-30-2007 03:46 PM

Tactical Turkeys? [&:]

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-30-2007 04:41 PM

the other way I could go is just keep the Mossberg I have, it does shoot great, purchase the Knoxx Spec Ops Stock, and now I have the same shotgun I'm thinking of buying, but a whole lot cheaper

mauser06 04-30-2007 06:13 PM

thing is...knoxx only sales the black stock...im going to email them and see if i cant get me one that is camo this summer....

advanced technology gun stocks DO make a M4 style stock for shotguns that is camoed...last i seen it didnt show on their website but a couple magazines like "shotgun news" (a catalog of guns etc for sale) and some others showed them in there.....so i know they make them..

i want the knoxx...but dont know if they make em in camo...

also...like i said...think about the saftey idea before you do it with a mossberg...i never handled a pistolgripped mossberg so i dont know...but seems like taking that saftey off may not work out well...definently require more movement than the 870...both are good guns...that just stops me from putting a pistol grip on my mossbergs...but the 870 will get one

700bdl870exp 04-30-2007 09:45 PM

Thumbhole and pistol griped mossbergs are a pain. You have to move your hand off the gun flip the safety then reposition. I did manage once with my index finger but its not something i would do under hunting conditions. Goes to further my point that the 870 is the way to go. And the recoil reducer in the stock is nice. Its helps alot more than you would think it would

BOWHUNTERCOP 05-01-2007 04:42 AM

I'm going to save myself money and just keep my current 835, there isn't a thing wrong with it

Airsoft Dude 05-02-2007 07:59 PM

870 ALL the way man !!! what the heck for themoney id say it matters on the quality and the durablity,but my dad has the 835 .... and i have the 870 lol but i have a pistol grip on mine and its so kool! also witchever one you get get a p grip. you can shoot one handed if you can keep it stedy.

hope this helps!