HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Bought a new rifle yeasterday. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/189941-bought-new-rifle-yeasterday.html)

bigpapa 04-29-2007 08:04 AM

Bought a new rifle yeasterday.

I decided when I woke up yeasterday that I would put an end to my misery and buy a new deer rifle. I set out towards walmart but remembered something one of you guys posted about supporting the local gun shops. So, I bypassed walmart and went to my local guy. Looked at the Brownings and Tikkas over and over again. I was flustered because the I really didn't want to pay the price of the Brownings and especially not the Tikka. I stood at the counter and looked for about an hour holding each rifle and going back and forth in my mind about it. Then I saw it... a Ruger M77 MII... At that point another phrase from a post from here hit me... While posting about my rifle choices someone said "too bad you don't have any American made rifles on your list". Now fate was starting to set in. Only it wasn't in .270 like I wanted it was in 30-06. I thought about it for a minute and realized that my wife had said..."you are only avoiding getting a 30-06 because everyone else has one." I looked at the guy behind the counter and said proudly "I'll take it." He asked if I wanted to look at it for a minute and I said "nope. This is ment to be my gun." Which brings me to my final realization. When I got home my mother who happened to be at the house visiting said. Do you remember a year ago you and I looked at rifles and you saw that one and said "If I had the money right now I would get it!" Boy it feels great when all things come back to home. I am now a proud owner of a Ruger M77 Mk II in 30-06 wood stock. I can't wait to send you guys some pics. Thanks for all your help.

BP

Colorado Luckydog 04-29-2007 08:14 AM

RE: Bought a new rifle yeasterday.

Congrats on the new gun!:) What scope are ya going to put on it?

Maine Shooter 04-29-2007 08:19 AM

I avoided a .30-06 for the same reason. Everyone had one and I simply wanted something different. low and behold I picked up a Ruger 31 in that chambering. It was simply too good of a price to pass up. It'll likely get rechambered to .300 H&H but I can say I at least owned a .30-06. I'm guessing your new Ruger isn't the new hawkeye model. Not a big dealthey make great firearms. You'll enjoy it. :)

Aught Six 04-29-2007 09:03 AM

Congrats on a fine rifle. There's something about the .30-06 that just stays with me. It's always better to buy it for the gun itself rather than for whatever the people don't have. Looking forward to the pics. Enjoy!

metaldonnieg 04-29-2007 09:03 AM

I wish the two ladies in my life were that supportive about fireams! Wow...mine just avoid the subject all togetherhaha.

I don't know a thing about that rifle but of the 3 Ruger firearms between my dad and I you shouldn't be disappointed in the least.

bigpapa 04-29-2007 09:34 AM

It's not the new Hawkeye. I'm skeptical about new products their first year out. But the M77 MkII is tried and true so I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment. Right now it's wearing an old Simmons Whitetail 4.5x20x50 but before season starts it will be wearing a Leopold. I'm only confused about one thing with it. I'm not sure how to get the bolt out without having to unscrew screw tothe bolt release. I may be doing something wrong.

falcon 04-29-2007 09:46 AM

"I'm only confused about one thing with it. I'm not sure how to get the bolt out without having to unscrew screw tothe bolt release. I may be doing something wrong."

Just pull on the front of the bolt release on the right side: Was looking at my left hand Ruger. Make that the left side at the rear of the receiver.

bigpapa 04-29-2007 09:51 AM

Pull up, back, or out? I know this sounds stupid but really I spent 30 min last night messing with it. How hard should I be pulling on this thing?

falcon 04-29-2007 10:21 AM

The bolt release is hinged at the rear.Put the safety in fire position and open the bolt. Tilt the gun, barrel up. There is a little protrusion on the bolt release. Just pull on it and the bolt should fall out.

James B 04-29-2007 02:52 PM

I have never owned a Ruger that didn't need a trigger job before I could shoot it well. I still buy Rugers but Its automatic to me that they go to the gunsmith before I even bring them home. The good news is that most good gunsmiths will do a Ruger trigger for about 40.00. Once thats done, they are a fine rifle. I have been looking at a LH Ruger 270 for months now. Will look forward to a range report.:D