HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Savage 24 combo gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/189865-savage-24-combo-gun.html)

8mm/06 04-28-2007 07:54 AM

Savage 24 combo gun

I've always wanted to own one of these little gems, for the fun of plinking and the interest in a specialty type of item.
But I was thinking as I was perusing the gun autions and sales sites....
I wonder how hot you could handload for one of these guns when using the 30-30 Win 24" barrel that the 24F-12 is chambered for. Would one be limited to normal operating load recommendations in the load data books? Or because you're dealing with a single shot in a break open action would you have the luxury of stepping it up a bit?
Anybody have any experience with the shotgun/rifle combo action and what it could handle as far as the rifle barrel is concerned?

falcon 04-28-2007 09:05 AM

RE: Savage 24 combo gun

"I've always wanted to own one of these little gems, for the fun of plinking and the interest in a specialty type of item.
But I was thinking as I was perusing the gun autions and sales sites...."

Have had a Savage model 24F for about 15 years. It is .22 Hornet over 3" 20 gauge. Have a love hate affair with it: Love it for it's versatility and hate it for it's weight. The thing weighs about 9.5 pounds with scope. Having said that it; is accurate and, luckily, the rifle and shotgun barrel shoot to the same point of aim. Called in a lot of cyotes and love zapping the close ones with #4 or #3 buckshot. The stock on mine was too long and i had to cut it off and re-mount the butt plate. That is a really easy job.

Rebel Hog 04-28-2007 10:10 AM

I have had a Savage 24V for over 15yrs. I found one at a Gun Shop in Newberry, Fl. It's .30-30/ 3" 20ga.

I shoot Fed PSP 150gr and #2 Buck

DM 04-28-2007 11:28 AM

If you can find a Savage 2400 it's an even nicer gun andMUCH more refined... They were made in 12ga/308 Win. for those that want a bigger cal.. and 12ga./222 Rem. for those that don't...

Best part is, the rifle bbl. can be ajusted to shoot to the shot bbl., and that cures aproblem i've seen over and over with Savage combo guns...

The 2400's are VERY accurate too..

DM

Pioneer2 04-28-2007 07:43 PM

I had a 30-30-20 ga and got rid of it because of overall crude finish and horrible barrel regulation.The shotgun hit 2 ft. low at 25 yards compared to the rifle.Mind you the rifle shot golf ball sized groups at 75 with open sights.The older model 24's are made way better[regulated and finish wise] I have a 22/.410 that decapitates grouse with the rifle barrel and smoke any survivors flying.Never part with this one.I think the Sav 2400 were made /imported by Valmet so that would explain the quality.Harold

Duffy 04-28-2007 10:56 PM

I have a .222/20 ga that I use when coyote calling. Also shot a lot of grouse and a few ducks with the 20. I also have a 30/30 over 20 ga. As a matter of fact I was at a gun show today and looking at a Bushnell 2.5 scope on a tip off mount. Thought it may work good on the 30/30 so I could tip it off to use the open sight for the 20 ga.

Robin in Rocky

BTM 04-29-2007 08:30 PM

Interesting thread, because I've been thinking the same thing re. having a great varmint gun for the close-in "runners" and the far-off "standers." However, I've owned a .22 LR/20 gaugefor decades and have never been impressed with its extractors. Even after replacing them several times, I almost always have to pop out the 20 ga. shells with a ramrod. My brother has a .22 mag/20 gauge with the same problem. They sure are accurate, however.

Perhaps Savage has fixed this problem since then (mid seventies), but from what I can tell from photos, the extractors still look the same.

Any of you with the newer Savages have any comments?

falcon 04-30-2007 05:05 AM

"Any of you with the newer Savages have any comments?"

Never have had any problems with the extractors on mine: Use a lot of three inch shells, too. If you are having extractor problems you need a new spring from Gun Parts.

Duffy 04-30-2007 08:11 AM

I have had the problem with the extractor on the 20 only it the top (.222) chamber is enpty. If there is a "shell" in top and bottom then it works OK.

I have shot and seen shot a couple coyotes with a load of BBs from the 20 and it did not kill. I have since used IMPERIAL AAAA (3 BUCK) shot in the 20. The .222 has always been a good coyote stopper for me.

Robin in Rocky