Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV >

whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
12 guage slug
14.29%
1.43%
11.43%
7mm
5.71%
30-30
42.86%
30-06
22.86%
20 guage slug
1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Default whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

heres a gun poll
Old 04-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Default RE: whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

I shot a Marlin model 336 in 35 cal.I got no complaints.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

336 Marlin .30-30 w/ the new Hornady ammo
Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Go out and get a shotgun that shoots 3 1/2 shells and put a turkey choke on the end of it and shoot BUCKSHOT. At 80 yards its the size of tire and it will knock them down for sure. but dont use a slug bc ull blow the end of the barrel off. well just my 2cents
Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's the definition of a brush gun?If you're asking what gun will shoot through brush the best,there is no answer because no guns do that.Deer are killed by shooting around brush,not by shooting through it.My choice for the best brush gun is the one that's most accurate and that I shoot the best.I want to be able to shoot tyhrough a small hole in the brush without having anything deflect the bullet.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I use a rem 7600 carbine in 30.06 with a Williams peep on the rear and florescent red fire dot front bead. I take out the insert on the peep and paint the ring florescent red. The gun is very accurate and target acquisition is fast and deadly. My eye centers the large aperture on the peep and I use 180 gr NP in Federal Vita Shock. My only problem was dealing with the peep and stock raised comb on the stock which was designed for scope installation. I got Remington to sell me a matching rear stock from a 20 ga shotgun so the stock closely resembled the old 760 which was designed for open sites only and had a straight stock. No problem getting down on the peep now.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: DougE

What's the definition of a brush gun?If you're asking what gun will shoot through brush the best,there is no answer because no guns do that.Deer are killed by shooting around brush,not by shooting through it.My choice for the best brush gun is the one that's most accurate and that I shoot the best.I want to be able to shoot tyhrough a small hole in the brush without having anything deflect the bullet.
Good answer.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

My choice for the best brush gun is the one that's most accurate and that I shoot the best.I want to be able to shoot tyhrough a small hole in the brush without having anything deflect the bullet.
That is what I like about the 30-30 and I like the Marlin the best. They have short barrel lengths and just enogh power so if you happen to hit a small branch it will still shoot fairly straight. My gun of choice for a brush gun.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

...thats' called "tack driving", and not exactly a quality of lever action guns, or of the 30-30/35/or any other "brush" gun...especially when it "HAS" to go thru a tiny hole. I have a bolt 30-30,Savage 340, that can't touch my Ruger .270 @ 50/100 yds....forget anything past that... accuracy is what you want,not tree-trimming,log-splitting hunks of lead being thrown thru the brush, which is exactly what most lever guns will give you.
edit: is it any wonder why police/military snipers use bolt guns when they're called upon..? it's about accuracy,not fire power(altho that .50 cal is one bad dude!!)
Old 04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try 12 gauge with Federal Copper coated 00 Buck.

Quick Reply: whats the best deer brush gun for the hills of WV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.