HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   RANDOM..Has it happend to you (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/189143-random-has-happend-you.html)

.:SCOPE:EYE:. 04-21-2007 06:52 PM

RANDOM..Has it happend to you

yesterday i was at the range with a 30-06 i shot about 25 rounds and by 30 i strangly formed a flinch, after every shot it got worse, 1 inch changed to 5 inch groups and i could not hit anything, finally i got pissed enough to wip out the dummy round and practice and eventually it was gone but it never happend before for me and i shoot 50 cal like nothing, IDK has it ever happend to any od you

mello_collins 04-21-2007 08:56 PM

RE: RANDOM..Has it happend to you

It has happened to me several times. I stop shooting and do some dry firing exercises. If that don’t work I leave the range. Some times the caffeine just gets to me [:@]

mello

retrieverman 04-21-2007 08:57 PM

Have you shot the 30-06 much before this range session? If not, you probably need to limit yourself to less than 30 rounds (if that is where your flinch started). If I shoot 25-30 rounds of just about any kicking caliber (which I haven't done very many times), I tend to start to anticipate the shot (not so much of a flinch). I bought a Caldwell Lead Sled a couple of years ago mainly for my youngest son, but I love the thing. I can shoot my 375 H&H all day without the usual sore shoulder.

Aught Six 04-21-2007 10:01 PM

Sure, every shooter has a breaking point. Some days you feel really fit and can take a beating, and others you fatigue early and start flinching. I almost made it through a bandolier of ammofrom my M1 this afternoon and noticed myself starting to flinch after about the 60th round. I concentrated and tightened mygrip up to finish off the clip, but then I went to the AR for a while to give my shoulder a break. Shooting's supposed to be fun, so don't push it, and enjoy the smallbores on a regular basis.

redhead522 04-21-2007 10:24 PM

It happened to me once while attempting to sight in a 300 win mag with a faulty scope (unknown to me at the time). I fired about 30 rounds before calling it a day.

mauser06 04-21-2007 11:05 PM

dont overlook the noise aspect of things as well. alot of people associate flinches with recoil...which it very well can be...after 25+rds of the 06 youll feel it and become a little sore and sensative...but it also makes a pretty good boom. could be a flinch from just the anticipated boom and/or recoil...

good call with the dummy round and working to fix it....

biscuit jake 04-22-2007 06:11 AM

I don't enjoy recoil but I tolerate it. When I shoot a heavier caliber, I know when I am reaching my limits of having a constructive session. Eg, with 300 grainers in the 338 Win Mag, I would not do more than 20 at a time. I will have to give the caffeine issue some thought, too!

James B 04-22-2007 06:30 AM

RE: RANDOM..Has it happened to you

Different people enjoy different things. I don't enjoy recoil one bit and have no desire to beat myself up. I don't shoot calibers bigger than the 7mm-08 and 270 for fun. When I shoot the heavier calibers to sight them in, I use the Shooters Friend recoil pad plus the wearable Magnum Past shooting vest and if need be, A rest like the lead sled. If it don't feel good, I ain't gonna do it.;)

Champlain Islander 04-22-2007 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

I don't enjoy recoil but I tolerate it. When I shoot a heavier caliber, I know when I am reaching my limits of having a constructive session. Eg, with 300 grainers in the 338 Win Mag, I would not do more than 20 at a time. I will have to give the caffeine issue some thought, too!
I guess nobody better mess with you. 20 rounds of a 338 Win Mag make me sore just reading about it:D

thndrchiken 04-22-2007 09:51 AM

Maybe you just got tired.