HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   price on a 20ga Wingmaster (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/188744-price-20ga-wingmaster.html)

buttonbuckmaster 04-18-2007 08:18 AM

price on a 20ga Wingmaster

I found an older wingmaster 20ga for my son. It will be his first gun. He shouldered it, fits him well. The gun is 2 3/4 only, no vent rib. I checked it over good, nice tight action still, but a little rust on the reciever.Wood is beautiful, very minor scrathes. I can buy the gun for $200 out the door and the dealer told me he would sell me a slug barrel for it at cost. Is this a decent price?

TROPHYHUNTER25 04-18-2007 09:49 AM

RE: price on a 20ga Wingmaster

thats a decent price

BigJ71 04-18-2007 10:03 AM

Button,

870's can be purchased new for under $300.00. Now those would be the express guns and not the wingmasters, but the only difference between the two is the wood, bluing finish and scroll work. If all your son is going to do is hunt with it then it makes absolutely no difference between the two.

That being said $200.00 otd is an ok price depending on how rusted the receiver is and how good mechanically it is. Check it over real good (hard to break them anyway) but make sure it functions as it should.

If you're not in a hurry then you can probably find one in the $150.00 range, but then again if it's the one you want and it's there I'd say go for it, it's not a bad deal especially if you can get the slug barrel at a good price.

Good Luck

t roy 04-18-2007 02:13 PM

I would go with a wingmaster over an express. I think $200 is a good price, I paid $220 back in 1986 for my 870 wingmaster, it was used and in like new condition. I have seen a couple of older 20 wingmasterson gunbroker that were in better shape than what you're desribing for not much more. You might want to look a bit more.

buttonbuckmaster 04-18-2007 02:45 PM

BigJ,

I have an Express, it serves the purpose just fine. My son picked this one over a new express or a 500.The wingmaster caught my sons eye, and fits his budget. I guess I should add, he's been mowing grass to pay for this and he wants the wingmaster. We (I) have been looking for several months and this is the first wingmaster I have found under $300. Most of those were well used, scratched up, etc.

snedd162 04-18-2007 02:59 PM

sounds like a great deal i would do it.

BigJ71 04-18-2007 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

BigJ,

I have an Express, it serves the purpose just fine. My son picked this one over a new express or a 500.The wingmaster caught my sons eye, and fits his budget. I guess I should add, he's been mowing grass to pay for this and he wants the wingmaster. We (I) have been looking for several months and this is the first wingmaster I have found under $300. Most of those were well used, scratched up, etc.
I kinda figured you knew what you were looking for. Ihave both a wingmaster and an express. I honestly like the matt finish of the express over the wingmaster. For a few dollars more I would go with the brand new express 20ga especially if it is to be used as a field gun.

Of course I have been known tobuy guns simply because I liked the way they looked as well.:) If he is set on a wingmaster I would not try to talk him out of it, but if he is on the fence the express is the exact same shotgun just not asfancy and would probably serve for hunting better than the shiny wingmaster.

Can't go wrong with either gunasthe 870 line of shotguns are very sturdy.

halcon 04-19-2007 01:06 AM

The $200 price is about average fora used 20 Ga wingmaster in good shape .

falcon 04-19-2007 06:15 AM

Buy it.I have both a 20 gauge Express an old20 gauge Wingmaster with the corn cob forend. The workmanship in the Express cannotbegin to compare to the older gun. Killed dozens of turkeys with that old Wingmaster and will have it when i die.