HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Auto Shotgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/188605-auto-shotgun.html)

skeeter 7MM 04-16-2007 10:41 PM

Auto Shotgun

I'm going to be on a Skeet Team this summer (fun league) and thinking it maybe a good reason to buy a Auto. It will most likely see some upland or waterfowl action in lieu of my pumps as well. I am thinking no need for a 3.5" er as i already have the capability in one of my pumps, so thinking 3" model would be fine. What would you suggest, bare in mind I want to keep the price at or below G note Cad (850ish USD).

Here is a list I have compiled with ny budget in mind and availability(from cheapest).

Stroeger M2000
Mossberg 935
Rem. 11-87
Weatherby SAS
Super X2 Winchester
Browning Gold

I have found 2 used ones as well:
Fabarm Lion(can't recall the model #) for 1000.00 (like new 99%)
11-87 Camo for650.00 (decent(75%) condition)

Thanks for your input:)

stubblejumper 04-16-2007 11:14 PM

RE: Auto Shotgun

I personally prefer an over and under for skeet shooting and upland hunting but if I had to use a semi auto,it would be a beretta 391.From what I have seen myself at various trap and skeet shoots ,and from what waterfowl guides have told me,there isn't a more reliable semi auto made.Some of the other guns,noteably the super x2,are also very dependable,but the 391 seems to be the best at cycling both light target loads as well as heavy waterfowl loads.However,unless you find a sale,the lowest prices that I have seen on 391s are around $!200,with the higher grades costing more.If I had to choose one of the guns mentioned ,it would be the superx 2.I owned an 11-87 myself,and it did not like the light target loads at all.On the other hand,my old beretta 302,cycled all loads very dependably.

savagescout 04-17-2007 12:11 AM

I would go for the steoger.

My brother in law bought the super blackeagle Benneli. My father in law bought the steoger m2000 and the brother in law wishes he would have bought the steoger and saved himwelf the money. They are awsome for the price.

trailer 04-17-2007 06:01 AM

I’m not familiar with any shotguns you have mentioned but I do have a Beretta 390 / 391 and I have to agree with stubblejumper. I’ve had this gun for long time and it has worked flawless. This shotgun has been used and abused. I hardly ever clean it and have never had any problems with it. My brother has the same gun except a couple years newer and he has never had any problems with it either. Good luck...

vaughnm 04-17-2007 06:38 AM

I am familar with several of the guns. I've shot the Stoeger, Remington 11-87,and Browning Gold. The Stoeger was a servicable gun but didn't excite me. The Remington is a nice gun butheavy for my taste. The Browning Gold was very nice but a little more costly price wise.

I own a Beretta 391 and that is a great semi-auto and you couldn't go wrong but it is a little higher price wise. I also own a Winchester Super X2 with the upgraded stockand that is also agreat semi-auto. Very similar in feel to the Browning Gold but less expensive and I feel it is maybe the most underrated semi out there.

You cann't go wrong with the Browning, Beretta or Winchester but if price is a consideration, I would recommend the Winchester.

matt068 04-17-2007 09:05 AM

There are several reasons i would go w/ an over/under. The first is some folks that spend $1500 and up on a gun don't want your shell casings flying out hitting there stocks. You can get a shell catcher but i find them to be a pain. Also some lighter loads used for skeet will not have enoughmustard to eject the shells. I prefer lighter loads especially in my 12 ga just so I'm not fighting effect of large recoil as i set for my 2nd shot. Again many o/u can be found for what the cost of an 11-87 runs

retrieverman 04-17-2007 11:36 AM

skeeter
I love shotguns and shotgun sports, but I am not a fan of any of the guns on your list. I am a huge fan of Benelli and Beretta shotguns. If I were to buy another shotgun, it would either be another Benelli Super 90 or a Beretta 390. My local WalMart has a Beretta 390 for $525. My son just purchased a like new Benelli Super Black Eagle for $760 off Gunbroker.

If you are not in a big hurry, there are deals to be found.

The Rifleman 04-17-2007 11:55 AM

You will find that the number one shotgun of choice for most skeet shooters is none other than a Model 1100 Remington.

Not the 11 - 87 or most any of the other models.

The Model 1100 was brought back from extinction because the availability of the older guns was getting hard to come by.

A Trap grade or Skeet grade shotgun in original condition will fetch up to $3000 in mint condition.

My second choice would bea Browning Gold Hunter -because it did not care what ammo you put in it - like the 1100 did.

That was Remington’s reason for coming out with the Model 11 - 87 in the first place was because the 3 inch Magnum Shotgunwould not cycle the low bras loads.

From the Remington web site,

In December 1962, at Remington's National Sales Meeting, with salesmen from all over the country, we learned about a new shotgun that was said to reduce recoil up to 55%. Wow! The newly introduced Model 1100 autoloader was born.
In the spring of 1963, the manager of Shooting Promotion, Curt Clair, recruited Dick Baldwin, Earl Larson. myself, and a few others to participate in the filming of the clay target shooting portion of a movie called "The Model 1100 Story." I was proud to participate in this achievement.
Initially, the walnut stock and forend of the Model 1100 had pressed checkering, and a Dupont finish called RKW. It was a tough polyurethane product that was very hard to scratch and made the grain of the wood stand out. It was tougher than the finish on a bowling pin! The receiver was made from a solid block of steel for strength and durability, and it was polished inside and out for smooth operation. The receiver had a high gloss exterior finish with a scroll design on both sides.
The gas system is self-cleaning, self-adjusting and designed to use the correct amount of gas to operate the action, resulting in up to 55% less recoil. This was a significant amount, particularly when shooting many shells over a short period of time, such as when shooting trap. The Model 1100 is very simple to take apart for cleaning. Just remove the forend, and pull the barrel forward. The gas system that is located on the outside of the magazine tube is then exposed for cleaning.

In 1966, Remington Arms Company celebrated its 150th Anniversary by introducing two commemorative versions of the Model 1100, in trap and skeet configurations. A total of 2,929 of these shotguns were sold in 1966 and early 1967.

Model 1100 Matched Pairs - a .410 shotgun and a 28 gauge shotgun in Field and Skeet versions. Both plain and vent rib barrels were available. The Field gun came with mahogany stock and fore-end, and Skeet guns came in American walnut. The .410 and 28 gauge guns were offered only as a matched pair with matching serial numbers gilded in gold, and protected in a hard carrying case. They retailed for $495.00 for the pair. A total of 5,067 Matched Pairs were sold in 1969 and 1970 with run-off sales of left-over stock in 1971 and '72.

Remington introduced a Model 1100 20 gauge Lightweight Field Gun which was built on a smaller 28 gauge frame, and had a lightweight checkered mahogany stock and fore-end. This gun was available with plain barrel ($179.95) or vent rib barrel ($204.95), in full or modified chokes 28" in length, or improved cylinder barrels 26" in length. Also in this year, Remington began marketing Model 1100 SA Skeet guns in .410 and 28 gauge individually as standard models. These were available with 25" skeet choke barrels ($209.95).

In this year Remington added a Model 1100 20 gauge Lightweight in 3" magnum gun, weighing 6lbs/12oz. Plain 28", full choke barrel guns cost $214.95, and vent rib guns cost $239.95.
In January of this year, Remington Arms Company proudly advertised producing the one-millionth Model 1100 autoloading shotgun. In only nine years of production the Model 1100 exceeded that of the venerable Model 11 autoloading shotgun, which was in production for more than 45 years. That historic shotgun is serial numbered L509235M.

Remington Model 1100 Matched Pairs (.410 shotgun and a 28 guage shotgun in Field and Skeet versions first introduced in 1969)
version of the Model 1100 in 12 and 20 gauge guns in Field Grade 12 gauge (with 30" full choke, 28" modified, and 26" improved cylinder vent rib barrels), and 20 gauge (with 28" full and modified, and 26" improved cylinder vent rib barrels) , Magnum Grade 12 gauge only (with 3" chamber and 30" full choke, vent rib barrel) for $234.95, SA Skeet Grade 12 and 20 gauge (with 26" vent rib skeet barrel) for $224.95, and Trap Grade 12 gauge only (available with regular trap for $259.95, or Monte Carlo style stock, and 30" full choke, vent rib trap barrel for $269.95) variations.

Remington introduced a special limited edition Model 1100 Ducks Unlimited Commemorative Shotgun, a 12 gauge chambered for 2 3/4" shells with full choke, vent rib 30" barrel. This shotgun was available only in 1973, and was dedicated to the Ducks Unlimited organization. The right side of the receiver was roll-stamped with a simple gold-colored scroll pattern. Centered on the left side of the receiver panel is a multi-colored bronze medallion depicting a canvasback duck, the Ducks Unlimited mallard head logo, flanked by decorative scroll work. At the lower left, stamped in gold-colored script is Remington Model-1100TM and on the lower right is the serial number preceded by DU. Six hundred of these guns were sold directly to DU Chapters for fund raising dinners in 1973, and 10,000 sold conventionally.

In January, Remington introduced a 12 gauge Model 1100 TB Trap Gun in right and left-hand versions, with select American walnut in regular Trap or Monte Carlo style stock, rubber recoil pad, and ventilated rib. Advertising stated that this gun gives the shooter the All-Events competitive edge. Prices ranged from $314.95 to $329.95. To honor Americas Bicentennial Remington brought out four commemorative 12 gauge variations of the Model 1100: Model 1100 (28" plain barrel with modified choke); M1100 SA Skeet Bicentennial (26" vent rib with skeet choke for $284.95); M1100 TB Trap Bicentennial (30" vent rib with full choke for $319.95 with standard stock and $10.00 more for Monte Carlo stock); and M1100 TBMCS Trap Bicentennial (with 30" vent rib with full choke and Monte Carlo stock). Centered on the left side of the receiver panel is a gold-colored roll-engraved Bicentennial American Eagle and Shield with the dates 1776 and 1976 and scroll pattern. At the lower left stamped in script is Remington Model-1100 and on the lower right is the serial number. The right side of the receiver has simple scroll roll-markings in gold-color. Approximately 5,000 Bicentennial Model 1100 shotguns were sold.

In this year, Remington introduced a new stock "cut checkering" pattern and receiver scroll marking on all Model 1100 Field, Magnum, Skeet and Trap models. Model 1100 12 gauge 3" magnum shotguns were adapted to function with extra barrels chambered for 2 shells. Also in 1979, Remington introduced Model 1100 Tournament Grade Trap guns with 30" full or modified trap barrels; and new Model 1100 Tournament Skeet guns in 12, LT-10, 28 and 410 gauge versions. New guns featured select walnut stocks with the new cut-checkering pattern. Remington also introduced Model 1100 TA Trap 1976 Remington Company Catalog guns with regular grade stocks, as distinguished from Tournament Grade Trap guns , are introduced in both left and righthand versions.

In September 1980, Remington announced the Model 1100 Limited Edition "One of Three Thousand." This was a high grade gun with positive cut checkered fancy American walnut wood with a fitted rosewood grip cap and thin brown butt pad. It is 14K gold trimmed and etched with a hunting scenes on the receiver. All metal parts including the receiver, barrel, bolt and magazine cap have a high-luster finish. This limited edition gun was available only in 1980, and was produced only in 12 gauge with a 28", modified choke, vent rib barrel. Serial numbers went from LE-80-0001 to LE-80-3000, and this custom gun retailed for $1125.00.

Rebel Hog 04-17-2007 12:41 PM

I seen a pregnant woman win the SkeetNationals held here in Tampa,FL back in the 70's with a Rem 1100when I was a member at Cigar City Skeet/Trap Club.

She was competing againstPerazzi's, Krieghoff's, Brownings,you name it, it was there.

Paul L Mohr 04-17-2007 02:25 PM

That would be my suggestion as well, a nice used 1100. Heck you could even get a 20 ga if you wanted it lighter and less recoil.

And I would get an inexpensive O/U before a I got a cheaper auto.

Paul